Stuck In a Rut

ct6mblue

I feel like I've been playing the same riffs/scales/shapes for the past 3-4 years. What do you guys do to get yourself out of a rut and start playing something new/getting out of the same old routine every time you pick up the guitar?

I understand what you are saying.
But i guess YouTube is your friend!
Search whatever you like, i think you find some good tips here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get yourself a (new) teacher, best thing I’ve ever done for my playing to open me up to new things that I haven’t previously thought about.

truefire.com Jeff McErlain 30 Authentic Blues Grooves Simple, fun and easy stuff that will impress you and your friends.

Blues Grooves for Guitar Rob Fletcher /w accompanying cd available from Amazon, et, al.

The list is pret near endless. Google is your friend. So is You Tube.

I must have 20 Truefires if I have a single one. Some of their stuff is too advanced for me, and I've
seen a few instances where they royally screwed up the tabs, but overall a very good deal for what
you pay--and they even throw in an occasional free blog lesson. Excellent quality video. You can
subscribe or pay up front. Pick your poison. I recommend.

What I love about that Guthrie Govan video is how much emphasis he puts on using the methods to create your own songs. Also, I literally laughed out loud when he said, "You'll find that three of them sound good in minor keys, three of them sound good in major keys, and one sounds horrible." Poor Locrian mode, you never get any love.

What I love about that Guthrie Govan video is how much emphasis he puts on using the methods to create your own songs. Also, I literally laughed out loud when he said, "You'll find that three of them sound good in minor keys, three of them sound good in major keys, and one sounds horrible." Poor Locrian mode, you never get any love.

I never did find a use for ol' locrian outside of metal. That dude is amazing though, never encountered him before.

When I'm stuck in a rut I try to find new techniques or music theory to practice or try to learn another instrument. The #1 thing that gets me out of a guitar rut is to stop thinking or practicing melodies and harmonies and practice different time signatures and rhythms, especially drum rudiments.

Here's the post I made were the info below comes from and contains links to drum rudiments and other drum stuff I practice on guitar:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/lounge/82906-ngd-2.html#post1007011

To combine my guitar, bass & drum practicing, I integrated the drum rudiments into my Guitar picking and Bass fingering/slapping technique:
Right hand =
Guitar pick Down stroke or sweep/rake for drags
Bass 1st finger
Bass Slap Thumb

Left hand =
Guitar pick Up stroke or sweep/rake for drags
Bass 2nd finger
Bass Slap pop with 1st or 2nd finger or pop with 1st and 2nd finger for drags

Like drums, alternate starting with down stroke/1st Finger/Thumb and then starting with Up stroke/2nd Finger/Pop 1st/2nd Finger

Hope this helps

Go to Tom Quayle website and buy his legato technique lessons. I think it really changed my technique. I was always a legato guy, but these lessons opened it a lot more for me.

I never did find a use for ol' locrian outside of metal. That dude is amazing though, never encountered him before.

Guthrie is an amazing guitar player and even more interesting in person. I had the pleasure of meeting him at a NAMM 08 sitting in the Cornford both all on his own with no one else around wile he sat there and diced up the fret bord. I just shook my head in disbelief wile he smiled, we briefly talked about the amp he was plugged into and the settings that he liked.

I can't quite tell from the video, you obviously know more about his rig than me. Are his fingers insanely strong or is he using compression? Or both? I cant get close to those dynamics while tapping, unless I use a decent amount of gain. I gave it a shot on a clean setting, following along with the video, nowhere his level of clarity and definition. Just really curious what's going on there. Or do I need more practice? :lol

I can't quite tell from the video, you obviously know more about his rig than me. Are his fingers insanely strong or is he using compression? Or both? I cant get close to those dynamics while tapping, unless I use a decent amount of gain. I gave it a shot on a clean setting, following along with the video, nowhere his level of clarity and definition. Just really curious what's going on there. Or do I need more practice? :lol

Practice. He oozes technique. Imagine what his callouses are like on both hands.

I can't begin to imagine dude, I've made my fingers bleed to the point that I had to put super glue on em to keep playing and I'm nowhere near this guy's level. Still astonishing, I'm learning about new musicians just as much as the Axefx on this forum.

I feel like I've been playing the same riffs/scales/shapes for the past 3-4 years. What do you guys do to get yourself out of a rut and start playing something new/getting out of the same old routine every time you pick up the guitar?

Play something you wouldn't normally play. If you are a metal guy, try and learn some country licks. If you are a blues guy, try and play a Rick Wakeman keyboard solo on guitar. If Jazz is your thing, learn a Whitesnake song. Doesn't matter if you can't play thge whole song, or even much of it. Just a few bars might give you some new ideas.

Same goes for your listening. If you study lots of shred techniques and model yourself on John Petrucci and listen to nothing but Dream Theater and bands that were heavily influenced by them... well, thats going to get a bit stale. Check out the guys your heroes were influenced by (In JP's case, Steve Morse, Steve Vai, Alex Lifeson, Al Di Meola, Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Howe, etc). Then listen to something completely different.Even... no, especially stuff without guitars featured prominently. Miles Davis. Stravinsky. The Prodigy.

The man has strength and dexterity both and pads on his fingertip like leather.

How do you even reach this point? I read these interviews with amazing players like Tosin Abasi, they talk about six hour a day practice sessions, and so on. I've practiced no more than two hours a day since I was 16 or so, and it's given me awful carpal tunnel syndrome. Doesn't this stuff take a toll on these guys, physically? Or am I a wuss? :D

How do you even reach this point? I read these interviews with amazing players like Tosin Abasi, they talk about six hour a day practice sessions, and so on. I've practiced no more than two hours a day since I was 16 or so, and it's given me awful carpal tunnel syndrome. Doesn't this stuff take a toll on these guys, physically? Or am I a wuss? :D

I don't know man :?. I think it happens differently for each person. I have had times where I have played for hours on end for months at a time and I can tell my playing improves but like you posted it didn't progress to the point where it put me on a different level.

I have accepted the fact that my playing will never get to that level and to be honest I really don't want it to as crazy as that sounds. I guess I just don't want my hobby to become like work as it usually takes all the fun out of it :lol.

I don't know man :?. I think it happens differently for each person. I have had times where I have played for hours on end for months at a time and I can tell my playing improves but like you posted it didn't progress to the point where it put me on a different level.

I have accepted the fact that my playing will never get to that level and to be honest I really don't want it to as crazy as that sounds. I guess I just don't want my hobby to become like work as it usually takes all the fun out of it :lol.

You have a really good point here man, I do kind of practice to the point where it isn't fun, and don't really have a lot to show for it. No matter how various the scales and modes, the arpeggios, it just eventually feels like doing the same thing over again. I'm really digging his advice on chromaticism, it's something that I've never really tried to utilize. Thanks again for posting that video dude, I feel more inspired than I have in weeks. I owe ya one!

Back
Top Bottom