Anyone else use the same IR with all amps?

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
So, I converted from using a traditional cab to FRFR several months ago, and so had dialed in all my presets with a traditional 2x11 semi-open cab.

All of my presets are based on the same template, with the only exception being the "clean" amp. Each has 2 amp blocks and makes use of both X and Y settings for a combination of 4 different amps: 1 clean, 1 rhythm, 2 lead.

I found it easiest to pretend that I was still using a traditional cab - find one I like that worked well and use it for everything.

When I started I was using a stereo cab with two IRs from the OH 2x12 vintage collection: Bogner 2x12 with Fane and Jensen.

Since the UR cabs have come out I switched to the Bogner 2x12 Fane UR IR and I'm pretty satisfied...

BUT, I wonder if I'm missing out by using this strategy?

I did try some of the new UR IRs in FW14 and I like some of them, but so far nothing beats the Fane 2x12.

Opinions?

Most of the cabs in the Axe I have not phicaslly used personally and for the longest time I would choose which cab to use by what it said it was. Thing is it never sounded the way I wanted it to. So now I just use my ears and what ever it winds up being is what I use. Some of my presets use the same cab sim but it does depend a lot on the amp sim I'm using.

I use the same IR as my base sound PER show. I wouldn't switch real cabs around constantly, so I don't do it with IR's live. I don't want to alienate my audiences ears song to song, or preset to preset.
That being said, I think this applies more to the mid to high gain amps using 4x12 IR's more than anything.

Same here .

I use the same IR as my base sound PER show. I wouldn't switch real cabs around constantly, so I don't do it with IR's live. I don't want to alienate my audiences ears song to song, or preset to preset.
That being said, I think this applies more to the mid to high gain amps using 4x12 IR's more than anything.

Yep. I keep trying others, but when I get back to it, it seems like that is the best after all. For all purposes. Strange, isn't it?

Used to be a mix of the TV cab and the AX cab, now it's the last of the OH UR samples. Haven't tried the FW14 sample cabs yet.

Yep. I keep trying others, but when I get back to it, it seems like that is the best after all. For all purposes. Strange, isn't it?

Used to be a mix of the TV cab and the AX cab, now it's the last of the OH UR samples. Haven't tried the FW14 sample cabs yet.
Mind you, not that I'm totally happy with that one, it's just that trying out IR's is an exercise going throught sounds like EHH AAA IEIE WWWW KRRRR EEEHHH EUEUEU VVVVVVV. Anything going from skreechie to nasal to boxy and that one seems to currently have the least of such objectional properties...

I usually always used the same IRs for all my highgain tones before Ultra res got released:
The TV mix and the Petrucci v30. I tried different IRs, but in the end I always preferred those two.

When using famous combo amps like the AC30 or a fender, I usually used the matching stock IR. Never really experimented with other cabs or let alone third party cab packs.

Now that Ultra res is a thing, I translated all my patches to ultra res stereo settings. And I simplified my method even more by just having 4 go-to cabs:
two 2x12 URs for clean/crunchy stuff (can't remember which... I think both are from the v14 freebies) and two 4x12 URs for highgain (from the ownhammer freebies: 75 modern and v30 modern).

Recently I replaced the latter with Clark Kent's Zero Currency IR collection. They just really work well in the mix and the stereo image of combining two of them is fantastic. I would probably never buy any commercial cab pack now, simply because auditioning hundreds of different IRs is not my thing. Plus the CK collection leaves almost nothing to be desired for. Pound + Quarter just works for all highgain stuff.

In my rock cover gig I use a different IR on almost every song - whatever gets me closest to the tone I'm covering. In my blues gig I play mostly 3 or 4 at most, but I wouldn't hesitate to mix it up. I don't think anyone in my audience is going to spit out their beer and say "hey, that sounds like a different Cabinet!" ;)

I do, but I think I need to experiment more. It's all down to when I first set things up and wanted a consistent sound for gigs, in a way I had with my previous 'real' amp, that I would just control with a volume knob to give variations of tone as I played.

It's worked really well for me, but I know I'm missing out on stellar tones by sticking to one.

Having said that, every one of my patches uses the same blend of two amps...

Having said that, I'm still on FW 8.x ,so what the f*** do I know?! Lol :)

I try to match up the IR to the amp, 1x, 2x, 4x and the speaker type. The amp models seem to work well when matched up with their real life counterparts. Maybe the SPKR page defaults are closer to home?

But, I typically play a show with one or maybe two presets and usually only two amps. One for dirty and one for clean.

I tend to keep it like my analog rig, a Fender (or other clean amp) with one cab for clean, a Marshall with another cab for dirty, and a few pedals.

I try to work in some of the over the top presets that I've downloaded here for special efx. But my mates always reel me back in :)

I'm using two IRs, one for clean, one for dirty.

This. I'll sometimes use a third for lead tones. I like the freebie OH 2x12 (can't remember which off the top of my head) for clean/light crunch, the Freeman Straight for high gain & scooped stuff, and CK's Gift to cut through, some with mics but mostly null... but I have barely scratched the surface of UR IRs, FWIW.

although I use real cabs live, my studio [practice] presets all use the same two cabs..

4x12 TV mix to the left
4x12 AX mix to the right

this is for all my tones, clean, riff, solo etc etc

UltraRes technology will not allow me to use the same IR.

:(

It's like crack cocaine! :stupid:

But -woohoo- it's the cat's pajamas man! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found it easiest to pretend that I was still using a traditional cab - find one I like that worked well and use it for everything.

This for live use. You can ask yourself 'how many real cabs to you bring to a gig?' probably one (or teo in case you play stereo). So that should also work with the Axe fx. Same goes for amps. You also don't bring five amps to a gig. So mostly I use one for drive and one for clean, that's it. For recording it is a different story. Then it is easier to try out different amps and cabs and see what is the best suited for that specific song or project. But for live I like it simple. I think your soundman will also be happy because of that.

This is very timely. I am in the pre-production stages of creating backing loops and programming my rack for about 50 songs. I love to chase down the rabbit hole and try to "sound like that guy on the cd" and it can be exhausting with 50 songs. I think I can live with having about 4-5 sounds from clean to extreme. Something really iconic, like Pride (in the name of love) I will dial in special.

Back
Top Bottom