Solved: FM3 sounded muffled until I positioned my studio monitors appropriately

It seems at this point contacting support and being able to talk with a knowledgeable person one on one would be the straightest and most efficient route to a solution. Something is definitely not normal with your problem. Besides a recording of this bad sound and the preset that produced it I can’t see what other direction would be fruitful. Unless you’re in boot camp or the middle of special forces training you should have enough R&R to take these steps. If you are too busy then priorities have to take precedence and lesser things a backseat.

Maybe put out your location, and you might be lucky to have a power FM3 user close to you.
A LOT of helpful people inhere :)

Ok, so will say lowering the studio monitor noise that Chris suggested help slightly, just sill sounds boxed in on most preset.

As far as why I got this without much intention of recording is cause o figured if it’s good enough for all the big name artists who use it, should be great for me. Sorry if I came off grumpy, just thought this is what the forum was for. When I get to it later, I’ll read the best way of making a clip. Guess I’ll have to find a daw of choice now and research that.

Thanks to most of you (still upset that I was referred to as a fake OP when it’s obvious I’m asking for help) but I guess there will always be one.

Maybe the fractal just isn’t for me and I hate that, but maybe I’ll just stick to the plug and play model amp I have if I can’t figure out how to make the save the clip exactly

Ok, so will say lowering the studio monitor noise that Chris suggested help slightly, just sill sounds boxed in on most preset.

As far as why I got this without much intention of recording is cause o figured if it’s good enough for all the big name artists who use it, should be great for me. Sorry if I came off grumpy, just thought this is what the forum was for. When I get to it later, I’ll read the best way of making a clip. Guess I’ll have to find a daw of choice now and research that.

Thanks to most of you (still upset that I was referred to as a fake OP when it’s obvious I’m asking for help) but I guess there will always be one.

Maybe the fractal just isn’t for me and I hate that, but maybe I’ll just stick to the plug and play model amp I have if I can’t figure out how to make the save the clip exactly
Can you make a video with a phone or something? Personally I’d rather hear it in the room, really anything as a starting point. Upload it to YouTube and post the link here.

Not trying to get all personal, but it sounds like you’re a relatively new player besides being new or familiar with much of the high tech technology. I could see where a new player with only minimal guitar into amp playing experience might be thrown by the way modeling needs to be approached. While it’s not impossible it can be daunting. I’m a 40+ year player who has been through every phase and advancement of music tech. 20 years ago I tried the modeling tech at the time and pretty much ruled out it as a useable form for a long time. I would test the waters every so often, but had various issues with it. Only tube amps for me. Due to various age related issues I decided to take another look. Along with seeing some of my favorite players sound damn good (all Fractal) I saw the FM3 which was in my price range and went for it a little over a year ago. Needless to say I was blown away. The one advantage I had is what I consider a quality proper monitoring system already. Two QSC K12.2. So I was able to move some major air and get the idea what is possible. Along with all the other experiences I have gained through years I can get great sound from it.

Update:
It has come to my attention that I have cross commented on this post and mixed this member’s problem with another. While part of what I wrote is not specifically applicable I decided to not delete it. It was a more “general” comment anyway and maybe some of it might be useful to someone. I apologize, my RAM is really getting full and sometimes I spit out incongruities.🤪

Last edited:
Can you make a video with a phone or something? Personally I’d rather hear it in the room, really anything as a starting point. Upload it to YouTube and post the link here.
+1 on this. I was going to say this, but wasn’t sure what others might think. I could distinguish what is room artifacts and what is the unit and speaker, etc..

Not much info to go on... but I too opened up one of my own more hi gain presets and felt it could use a bit of sparkle. First things I reach for:

1) Treble
2) Presence
3) High Treble

a bit of a bump here

Bass: a bit lower here.

Bright Switch: If the amp has one, I'll turn it on... and find a cap value that works for me. This control is ineffective on some amps though

Cabs: a hp filter on 60-80hz to get rid of mud
Use dynamic mics.... sm7, 57, 58, 421...etc... no ribbons

Do not be afraid to turn knobs to extremes to see what they do... Don't listen with your eyes... just turn them til they sound good.... they're not all supposed to be at noon!

Sean

Coming from an amp perspective, do you think the Adam’s are for me or would enjoy a headrush or something similar? Also would I need 2 to get the best results to run in stereo

Coming from an amp perspective, do you think the Adam’s are for me or would enjoy a headrush or something similar? Also would I need 2 to get the best results to run in stereo
Studio monitors aren’t meant to get extremely loud. But they sound good. I’m surprised you blew the other set of monitors, but if you also had those turned up all the way, that could explain it.

A video from a phone would help us get a starting point with what you’re hearing.

This brings up a point that I don’t know if it was covered. Are you playing in stereo with the Adams? I guess I’m asking are you just playing through one speaker and then how do you have the output set on the FM3.

Last edited:

Honestly...if you can't get the FM3 to sound good you may have eclectic tastes here as the FM3 sounds like a miced up amp and to be perfectly honest there's no significant difference between the frequency response of the FM3 and any other modelers (or amps). If you're looking for a more polished/sculpted tone with some more clarity, I'd suggest using an EQ to cut the low between 300-800 and boost between 3-5K, a little goes a long way here.

This might seem like a strange answer, but hopefully I can explain it - I do NOT like playing live thru my studio monitors, and I have sweet Focal monitors with a Presonus subwoofer. It sounds boxy and not loud enough. I absolutely prefer playing live using my QSC K10.2s.

However, if I am listening to a recording I made and am using the Focals and Presonus sub, it's plenty loud enough and sounds excellent!

My son sent me an LED dB meter for Father's Day, and I discovered some interesting stuff - if I have my studio space dead quiet (AC and fans off, refrigerator unplugged , etc), it's around 40 dB in there. If I turn everything back on, it's around 57 dB. If I'm cranking the sound system, it's around 80-84 dB. But if I play guitar thru my QSC system, it's 104-111 dB constantly.

So if you need to keep it quiet due to neighbors, etc, then studio monitors and headphones would be a good choice. But if you have the capability to turn up louder than that, a pair of FRFR powered cabs would be much better.

I want to love this thing coming from an AXE FX 2, but everything sounds so muffled which was not the case with the 2. I’ve had it for over a year now and always find myself trying to tweak something and it just never sounds right compared to the Axe 2, so end up just playing on an old modler amp I have.

Started with Yamaha HS8 and it blew my speaker not even going half way on the output, so that was costly. Went and bought a pair of Adam’s A7X and purchased the Austin Buddy presets, and besides a heavily tweaked Fryette model I can manage to make Decent, all of my presets (Austin Buddy’s and 5.3 presets) sounds like a big blanket over them and nothing like the sounds you hear all over SoundCloud and YouTube.

Have tried 2 different guitars and using Mogami brand cables all around.

Did the research and there is no padding or anything going on, but just wondering if any other options? I heard the Austin Buddy’s were supposed to sound good from the get go, and just not happening for me, so any help would be appreciated.Could you put up a sound sample
Could you post a couple sound samples from your a2, then then your a3 for reference?

And thank you all for the advise so far, just hate the fact I’ve now been called fake and been referred to averse? I’m a new member here and sorry I’m not experienced at this as others. I’m so sorry I seem to came off as annoying, but I’d imagine at one point, Someone else has had the same issue, hence why they created this forum in the first place:

Thank you for your service. :)

I didn’t want to post a PAID Austin buddy preset. I mean, if you’d like me to make a preset and post it I could, just pretty much the brand new factory presets I can’t get an unboxed sound on it. Compared to YEK’S noise clips from earlier with a Les Paul, sounds very different on the plexi stock preset.

Not to be rude and I should’ve contacted them, but I’m active military and truly don’t have much time to get to play it in the first place. Just when I do, same results everytime.
Just to clarify, were not looking for a preset (your buddy Austin preset), were looking for just an audio clip as a reference to hear the same thing you are. your 100 percent allowed to post an audio clip even if it contains a paid preset. But yea man, an audio clip is going to be your best bet if your wanting help identifying your issue

Not trying to get all personal, but it sounds like you’re a relatively new player besides being new or familiar with much of the high tech technology. I could see where a new player with only minimal guitar into amp playing experience might be thrown by the way modeling needs to be approached. While it’s not impossible it can be daunting. I’m a 40+ year player who has been through every phase and advancement of music tech. 20 years ago I tried the modeling tech at the time and pretty much ruled out it as a useable form for a long time. I would test the waters every so often, but had various issues with it. Only tube amps for me. Due to various age related issues I decided to take another look. Along with seeing some of my favorite players sound damn good (all Fractal) I saw the FM3 which was in my price range and went for it a little over a year ago. Needless to say I was blown away. The one advantage I had is what I consider a quality proper monitoring system already. Two QSC K12.2. So I was able to move some major air and get the idea what is possible. Along with all the other experiences I have gained through years I can get great sound from it.
He had an axe 2 before this, and he got that working to his liking. The axe 3 isnt infinitly more complicated than the axe 2. theyre both complicated especially for someone whos never owned one. So since he was able to get the 2 working to his liking, it would lead me to believe he could just as easily get the 3 working. So theres def something up

You get the best sound for your dollar with studio monitors. The only drawback is that they’re not really for playing at a gig. They’re not loud enough or rugged enough. But the good ones are plenty loud enough to piss off anyone at home. :)

I’m with @chris in that I’m surprised that your studio monitors blew. Studio monitors have limiters that are supposed to kick in before that happens.

Back
Top Bottom