Solved: FM3 sounded muffled until I positioned my studio monitors appropriately

Tried some of these setting and will say cranking down the studio monitors helped a bit, just to be honest, still feels like an old 150 modler amp I had was sounding better than this. The axe fx2 always sounded super tight and presets always sounded more lively and unboxed just on stock settings.

Wouldn’t know the first thing if it’s a speaker, cause music sounds great on them, and wouldn’t know the first thing of it’s the unit. I’ve had it for over year yes, just spend so much time trying to create a tone and not enough time playing, it kind of just sits there

Tried some of these setting and will say cranking down the studio monitors helped a bit, just to be honest, still feels like an old 150 modler amp I had was sounding better than this. The axe fx2 always sounded super tight and presets always sounded more lively and unboxed just on stock settings.

Wouldn’t know the first thing if it’s a speaker, cause music sounds great on them, and wouldn’t know the first thing of it’s the unit. I’ve had it for over year yes, just spend so much time trying to create a tone and not enough time playing, it kind of just sits there
Set up your computer to play audio through USB to your FM3. How does that sound?

Also, is it possible that you have power-amp modeling turned off globally?

I’ve watched videos most of the night, I got a decent mess sound now using Leon Todd’s multi band compressor and cranking down the volume of my Monitors, but still not completely happy. Austin Buddy’s presets still sound extremely muffled and I’ve checked all I could in settings.

My friends other named product sounds great for these montiors we’ve determined, so not sure what’s going.

Using a mogami platinum cable, gold mogami xlr cables, but just know this is not like what a soldano or a Friedman is supposed to sound like on top of all the other amps are supposed to sound like.

Does the “blanket” disappear when you listen through headphones (connected to the headphones port)?

Actually tried a pair of sennheiser HD650 not long ago, and it was all pretty much the same with the factory and purchased presets. Could tweak the high gain to sound just decentish, but not the wow factory of plug and play.

I’m not trying to be rude and I’ve had the thing for over a year now and maybe it is faulty, I’m not sure, I just actually had time to spend with it for this weekend since I’m on vacation and got it out to try.

Maybe it’s a faulty unit, so don’t know the return policy and should’ve jumped on that, just thought this may be normal, but have never got it to sound like the axe 2, which I sold for this unit, so end up playing a little practice amp when I play.

Best way to explain is it always just sounds boxed in and not alive and that’s been on 2 high end monitors and the headphones.

If you have really gone through all the checklist and suggestions, it is probably a faulty unit. Why did you wait one year to raise the issue? It may be out of warranty and return policy.

Have you contacted FAS Technical Support?

Last edited:
I didn’t want to post a PAID Austin buddy preset. I mean, if you’d like me to make a preset and post it I could, just pretty much the brand new factory presets I can’t get an unboxed sound on it. Compared to YEK’S noise clips from earlier with a Les Paul, sounds very different on the plexi stock preset.

Not to be rude and I should’ve contacted them, but I’m active military and truly don’t have much time to get to play it in the first place. Just when I do, same results everytime.

I didn’t want to post a PAID Austin buddy preset. I mean, if you’d like me to make a preset and post it I could, just pretty much the brand new factory presets I can’t get an unboxed sound on it. Compared to YEK’S noise clips from earlier with a Les Paul, sounds very different on the plexi stock preset.

Not to be rude and I should’ve contacted them, but I’m active military and truly don’t have much time to get to play it in the first place. Just when I do, same results everytime.
As I mentioned above, you can just pick a simple preferred amp and cab and use that as the example preset to facilitate discussion and feedback as it seems like nothing is sounding very good to you so no need to be pulling in 3rd party preset examples. If you post your own very simple preset + clip and describe what you don't like, then people can respond to an actual sound you are producing - and, ideally, if you can post the DI that went with that clip then people can actually tweak your preset with your exact hands and guitar sound and give that back to you as a suggestion. Sorry, but if you don't have enough time to provide those basic things and do some back and forth effort, then it can be tough to make progress, though it does sound like there is something kind of basic going wrong that maybe support can quickly diagnose.

Last edited:
I increased my input 1 pad and it stopped some of my clipping, meaning more definition in my attack. Can someone back me up as to that's what is happening?

What do you mean Fake OP? I’m very much real and when I get the chance considering it’s my father day and I barely get anytime off, just figured I’d post my issue with this unit. I will Defintely make a preset, but I didn’t really get this think to o recocrd music. I got it cause I’ve read countless reviews on how good it is.

To be frank, I have to read up on making a sound clip, just got the Adam’s cause I heard it was the best way of playing this thing.

Sorry that I’ve spent over a thousand dollars on something and just was trying to see what I could do to make it sound playable to me. I don’t think I should be called “fake” cause I’m just trying to get a sound I feel I’m not getting.

And thank you all for the advise so far, just hate the fact I’ve now been called fake and been referred to averse? I’m a new member here and sorry I’m not experienced at this as others. I’m so sorry I seem to came off as annoying, but I’d imagine at one point, Someone else has had the same issue, hence why they created this forum in the first place:

And thank you all for the advise so far, just hate the fact I’ve now been called fake and been referred to averse? I’m a new member here and sorry I’m not experienced at this as others. I’m so sorry I seem to came off as annoying, but I’d imagine at one point, Someone else has had the same issue, hence why they created this forum in the first place:
One person said something. Ignore them.

Your post is exactly what this forum is for.

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom