Soundclips for reference purpose

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
Players sometimes complain about things being too bright or too dark. For such situations a reference sound clip is handy, so the player can compare his/her own sound against the clip.

For that purpose I quickly recorded the sound of a factory preset, using 4 of my guitars. It's the Plexi 50W factory preset, scene 1, latest version for Axe-Fx III/FM3.

It's a straight USB Audio recording, no tweaks, no additional processing (except normalizing), no 3rd party interface. The compression is entirely SoundCloud's.

I'm tuned to Eb, I hit the strings hard and the strings are kind of old.
  • Telecaster: 3 pickup positions
  • Stratocaster: 5 pickup positions
  • PRS: 3x single coils, 3x humbuckers (dark)
  • Gibson LP: 3 pickup positions

If your sound is very different from the clip, using the same factory preset, check the following:
  • your guitar
  • cables
  • the unit's global parameters
  • your audio interface / DAW (especially gain), if applicable
  • monitors / amplification.
Click to download the entire Logic Pro file.

Last edited:
How about also including raw recordings of the guitar parts, so people could reamp them into their own rigs? Could help with troubleshooting people's setups.
This would take this project to the next step. Leon Todd did this once in one of the bazillion Cygnus threads I think and it really helped establish a common baseline.

How about also including raw recordings of the guitar parts, so people could reamp them into their own rigs? Could help with troubleshooting people's setups.

That's a good idea. But only if people play the DI track at the same level as it was recorded, otherwise gain will be all over the place.

(I posted this in another thread already.)

Players sometimes complain about things being too bright or too dark. For such situations a reference sound clip is handy, so the player can compare his/her own sound against the clip.

For that purpose I quickly recorded the sound of a factory preset, using 4 of my guitars. It's the Plexi 50W factory preset, scene 1, latest version for Axe-Fx III/FM3. It's a straight USB Audio recording, no tweaks, no additional processing, no 3rd party interface.

I hit the strings hard, and the strings are kind of old.
  • Telecaster: 3 pickup positions
  • Stratocaster: 5 pickup positions
  • PRS: 3x single coils, 3x humbuckers (dark)
  • Gibson LP: 3 pickup positions

If your sound is very different from the clip with the same factory preset, check the following:
  • your guitar
  • cables
  • the unit's global parameters
  • your audio interface / DAW (especially gain), if applicable
  • monitors / amplification.
Here's the DI-recording (here's the file):

Here's the sound without cab modeling:

Here's the sound without power amp modeling:

@yek, I think this is a great idea!

As for having others trying to reamp the DI track, that doesn't sound like it'd be that usable. If someone is already having problems getting their system to sound right I don't think they'll be able to get a sound clip that's helpful; Reamping assumes they have a DAW that can read the file and they have the knowledge of how to use it. Instead, it should be kept simple, as the OP presents it. Anything beyond that can be done on a case-by-case situation.

Reactions: yek
Recordings and DI-file added.
Wow! Thank you! I was going to suggest adding the DI tracks. You are exceeding all expectations :)

I think that you have to enable the permission to allow downloading the audio file

SoundCloud.png

Back
Top Bottom