AXE 8 VS. Helix GAME Over!!!

The AX8 isn't out yet, so I'm assuming it means the Helix is going back.

Sorry to say: I listened to the helix - axe comparison from gasp 100, and I liked the marsh, slo and vox/exxe tones of the helix better, with less bass and low mids that involved harmonic distortions I do not like so much. If I had to decide it would be a tough one. Would like to know what this sounds like when you listen to
a) real speakers (not through headphones on the computer)
b) in a band context - which one cuts better through?
c) different EQ settings (more low mids to the helix, less bass on the axe side
d) and how the playing with both "feels"...

Sorry to say: I listened to the helix - axe comparison from gasp 100, and I liked the marsh, slo and vox/exxe tones of the helix better, with less bass and low mids that involved harmonic distortions I do not like so much.

fortunately both the AX8 and Helix have EQ controls to adjust bass and mids how we prefer.

It was an interesting comparison, for sure. But, incomplete. Would be significantly better if the amp models were compared using the same IR.

Sorry to say: I listened to the helix - axe comparison from gasp 100, and I liked the marsh, slo and vox/exxe tones of the helix better, with less bass and low mids that involved harmonic distortions I do not like so much. If I had to decide it would be a tough one. Would like to know what this sounds like when you listen to
a) real speakers (not through headphones on the computer)
b) in a band context - which one cuts better through?
c) different EQ settings (more low mids to the helix, less bass on the axe side
d) and how the playing with both "feels"...

Darn. I really need something next month. travel gig. Airlines over here are paranoid over size and weight and ludacrous expensive if you go over. And I'm paranoid about luggage handlers. I've seen luggage handlers throw the suitcases into an airplane. They bet on who can throw them the furthest on the belt, right underneath the noses of the passengers standing in the waiting area beside the plane. To be secure I'd need to buy an extra seat. I'm planning on screwing the neck off of my strat to be able to fit it in a suitcase. Stuff it tight with clothes.

Tried my Brothers Helix- spent enough time to figure out how all the settings work and tweaked it for several hours (played it thru my system). Game over! He will return it(the Helix) Monday.

Can you elaborate, please? What was so inferior compared to the helix?

The AX8 isn't out yet, so I'm assuming it means the Helix is going back.

Yes, Helix is going back!

Compared to the Axe Fx II, the Helix lacks definition, feel, nuance, finger expression control and has a similar distinct coloration to every amp/drive pedal. When switching drive pedals in a preset, they all sound like the same pedal on different settings. I didn't find the interface any easier to use than my Axe accept in the fact that there are far less main parameters and no deep parameters which makes the learning curve less than the Axe.

On the positive side, It didn't sound bad(in fact it sounds great on those maple neck cleaner Hendrix sounds although you can't get rid of that distinct sound coloration, it just happens to help the clean Hendrix sounds) and some may benefit from the fact that the Helix is very forgiving as it has an inherent compression/attack that aids reckless playing and smoothes out dynamics but you are stuck with that.

Disclaimer: I am looking at this from a classic rock viewpoint only.
Conclusion: This would be a great cheaper alternative to the Axe Fx II if the Ax8 were not coming out!

Darn. I really need something next month. travel gig. Airlines over here are paranoid over size and weight and ludacrous expensive if you go over. And I'm paranoid about luggage handlers. I've seen luggage handlers throw the suitcases into an airplane. They bet on who can throw them the furthest on the belt, right underneath the noses of the passengers standing in the waiting area beside the plane. To be secure I'd need to buy an extra seat. I'm planning on screwing the neck off of my strat to be able to fit it in a suitcase. Stuff it tight with clothes.

You know the australian/british "sport" dwarf-tossing? - You should leave the queue and do the same with those luggage handlers - no matter if they´re dwarfs. Seeing your strat handled like that should give you monster powers.

Anyway, back to topic. Where were we? - helix being sent back

...and some may benefit from the fact that the Helix is very forgiving as it has an inherent compression/attack that aids reckless playing and smoothes out dynamics but you are stuck with that.
Very interesting!
That´s exactly what I would not want! I prefer the unforgiving dynamic in yer face reaction that makes you look bad when you´re careless and good when you have your act together. Like the wife that can be bitchy if... you know the deal.
Any more observations, jakbur? Is this Helix sound in fact "inherent"?

One person's opinion. Other Axe users aren't so black and white on it. Not that you can get one by then anyway if you haven't preordered from a place that might actually ship this week.

How were the effects on the Helix compared to the axe?

Compared at home thru my FR system but not in a band/live situation which is my main use for Axe Fx II.
The univibe was great on the Helix(only effect better than on the Axe IMHO). Reverb- passable (not as good or tunable as Axe Fx). Delay- not as many choices and far less parameters which was true of all effects. Speaker IRs- had more effect on preset flavor than anything else but far less impact on the preset than IRs on the Axe Fx II and far less parameter tune-ability than the Axe Fx II. Compressors- only tried pre drive/amp worked well for over compression effect but otherwise sounded exaggerated.

Last edited:
Very interesting!
That´s exactly what I would not want! I prefer the unforgiving dynamic in yer face reaction that makes you look bad when you´re careless and good when you have your act together. Like the wife that can be bitchy if... you know the deal.
Any more observations, jakbur? Is this Helix sound in fact "inherent"?

I couldn't dial it(compression/attack) out and I tried as I do not need or want that either. Nor could I dial out the sound coloration that helped for the cleanish maple neck Hendrix sounds but hampers everything els.

Last edited:
I got to be honest guys...implying you prefer the board that makes you sound worse is a weird sell. The Helix doesn't hide bad playing evident by some of the videos already out there in the wild. I assume you are really saying the AX-FX is more raw, but in the clips I have listened to the AX-FX actually has a very nice produced sound to it...if that makes sense.

The Helix is certainly a contender and I think if you look at both objectively you can find merits with both. I am certainly very, very interested in the AX8...but that doesn't mean everything else is sub par...I could make either work in a live situation...and really the audience won't notice the difference. The 95% of the people there just like the band and think we sound great, the remaining 5% that are musicians will always have issue with <insert brand of guitar, pedal board, running the subs on an aux channel versus off the powered crossover, and so on etc>.

Compared at home thru my FR system but not in a band/live situation which is my main use for Axe Fx II.
The univibe was great on the Helix(only effect better than on the Axe IMHO). Reverb- passable (not as good or tunable as Axe Fx). Delay- not as many choices and far less parameters which was true of all effects. Speaker IRs- had more effect on preset flavor than anything else but far less impact on the preset than Axe Fx II and far less parameter tune-ability than Axe Fx II. Compressors- only tried pre drive/amp worked well for over compression effect but otherwise sounded exaggerated.

Yeah, Line 6 really worked hard on that univibe. They love to show it off. Haha

Thanks for the comparison.

Back
Top Bottom