AXE 8 VS. Helix GAME Over!!!

ratsgym

Inspired
I was blown away at the difference between the Axe 8 and the Helix. The Axe sounded like an organic amp while the Helix definitely had a Processed sound. Plus the fact that the Axe 8 comes with ALL the amps and Cabs they have it's not even a fair fight. Congrats to Cliff and everyone from Fractal Audio on they're dominance in this field.

I didn't realize it will have the same number of amp models as the Axe FX. That is awesome.

I wonder how many user cab slots there will be?

Does anyone know anything about pricing or availability? If it's not priced close to Helix, can you really compare the two? I have been waiting for info, but I need to pull the trigger on something ASAP.

Yep :). I've been waiting for to hear pricing and availability before deciding between Fractal and Line6.

Makes sense. There are many others in the same boat. More will buy the Helix of course, but they don't know what they'll be missing in terms of the tone. There are other features in the Helix that will suit people's needs more than the advanced modeling of the Fractal, and that's fine.

I still want to visit a GC and try a Helix, but the AX8 is definitely on my future purchase list.

Serious question on the sound difference. Any thoughts on the effect of the sound source? $10,000 pair of monitors vs. a $1200? Pair of Line 6 speakers. I haven't heard the L6 speakers, but I wonder if they add to the processed sound. I played a solo acoustic gig a few months ago and the sound guy had all Meyer speakers. They blew me away and the difference over standard gear was immediately noticeable.

I've only listened to online demo's of the Helix, so take that for what its worth, but in that experience so far I haven't been very impressed, agreeing that the Helix sounds sort of artificial.

I'm sure with some proper tweaks it has some good sounds in it, and aspects of the design seem really clever, with a nice price tag, yet I'm not hearing the, for lack of better word, "realism", that raw and open dynamic tone I hear is a lot of Axe clips.

The Helix seems sort of synthetic and overly processed. This may just be that all the patches I've heard so far have a lot of effects on them, opposed to just a simple Amp-Cap patch on the Axe.

Could also be the quality of the guitarist, how they recorded etc, so I'm certainly not passing final judgement, but I just haven't heard anything yet that made me say "wow, that sounded great" such as is the case with the Axe when I listen to a Tyler G video.

Did you check out both at the amp show today?

Well, to be honest, the display is one aspect of my AFX that I absolutely hate. It's not the deciding factor obviously for me but it's certainly a pain in the ass to use the front panel for anything except minor tweaks (actually, I try to avoid those as well unless I absolutely must do them). Axe-Edit saves the day, but it's not always an option.

The display on the MFC is equally miserable, and that's a bigger deal.

So I'd say a decent display is an advantage for a piece of gear that has multiple tweaking options.

I wouldn't dismiss it so easily.

We need to wait until there are better demos out there, and with 3rd party IRs.

Regardless, the modeling won't be on the same level as Quantum.

One thing we haven't heard about regarding either unit is switching time and true spillover (I imagine scenes on the AX8, same as the Axe FX).

Can't disagree, though I definitely don't hate either display. That's simply an advantage of Helix for those who prefer the more high res, modern display.

Well, to be honest, the display is one aspect of my AFX that I absolutely hate. It's not the deciding factor obviously for me but it's certainly a pain in the ass to use the front panel for anything except minor tweaks (actually, I try to avoid those as well unless I absolutely must do them). Axe-Edit saves the day, but it's not always an option.

The display on the MFC is equally miserable, and that's a bigger deal.

So I'd say a decent display is an advantage for a piece of gear that has multiple tweaking options.

I wouldn't dismiss it so easily.

a full functional USB with a browser for external hd or dongle AND for wav recording, and an iPad link both for audio recording in iPad's DAW AND a full functional AxeEdit, CabLab and Fractal-Bot apps on iPad.
These are the only things i'll really love on a future AxeFx. All the other things are state of the art and game changer in the guitar world!

As nice as a Helix LCD looks, I really can't see a 6.2" screen being better than my 30" monitor running Axe-Edit.

I mean sure it looks nicer than the Axe front panel, but do I really want to be bend over for an hour tweaking Helix patches (or trying to do it using my feet) instead of just sitting down in front of my PC in a comfortable deskchair, with a nice monitor and mouse and doing the same thing ?

...Regardless, the modeling won't be on the same level as Quantum...

Supposition. One of the things that people are failing to realize is that it will take someone who has, and is familiar with dialing in, an Axe FX 2 about 20 seconds to get their usual "awesome" tone out of the AX8. That same person will need to to invest more time in the Helix to get the same tones (assuming they are available of course). Someone who has an Axe FX 2 and spends time with each unit for 10 minutes is obviously going to think the AX8 is better; they've spent years dialing it in after all!
-
Austin

So let me ask you guys that are complaining about the display!! How does it make your axe fx sound? Does it do its job? I purchased my axe fx 2 for $2299 I believe. That was right on the edge of me being able to afford it. I could care less about a multi color display. Especially if it adds to the price, which, trust me, it does!!! So unless you want to pay even more for an expensive (but well worth it!!) fractal then, well then $)&(; the ;/)&&$ up about it:) or you can buy a different product and look pretty on stage but sound like St Sanders

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom