AXE 8 VS. Helix GAME Over!!!

So let me ask you guys that are complaining about the display!! How does it make your axe fx sound? Does it do its job? I purchased my axe fx 2 for $2299 I believe. That was right on the edge of me being able to afford it. I could care less about a multi color display. Especially if it adds to the price, which, trust me, it does!!! So unless you want to pay even more for an expensive (but well worth it!!) fractal then, well then $)&(; the ;/)&&$ up about it:)

Agree

When I'm playing all I need is the patch name and scene indicator on my MFC. I don't even look at the rack.

Don't really want to put on my reading glasses and bend over on stage to read the fine print on those Helix scribble strips. I mean yeah it is cool and all, but is it actually usable for me ? Probably not.

I just know what each foot switch on the Axe does and I can run things half blind LOL

So let me ask you guys that are complaining about the display!! How does it make your axe fx sound? Does it do its job? I purchased my axe fx 2 for $2299 I believe. That was right on the edge of me being able to afford it. I could care less about a multi color display. Especially if it adds to the price, which, trust me, it does!!! So unless you want to pay even more for an expensive (but well worth it!!) fractal then, well then $)&(; the ;/)&&$ up about it:)

For me the display only matters to me during a gig. That's why the scribble strips are important to me. But if it doesn't sound good, it's useless to me.

As nice as a Helix LCD looks, I really can't see a 6.2" screen being better than my 30" monitor running Axe-Edit.

I mean sure it looks nicer than the Axe front panel, but do I really want to be bend over for an hour tweaking Helix patches (or trying to do it using my feet) instead of just sitting down in front of my PC in a comfortable deskchair, with a nice monitor and mouse and doing the same thing ?

I agree with this. Not a huge fan of the screen on the Axe-Fx or FX-8, they could be much improved....but Axe Edit / FX-8 Edit make up for that.

For me the display only matters to me during a gig. That's why the scribble strips are important to me. But if it doesn't sound good, it's useless to me.

Agreed....I have an FXII for in the house/studio.....the only thing that's important to me is how this works in a gigging environment. The Helix seems to have some neat features in that regard.

Since the AX-8 has dedicated knobs for amp & what appears to parameter adjustment under the display, hopefully that means less relying on the display.

I just hope we get all of the deep editing of the Axe II thru Axe Edit on the AX-8.

Sound is what counts not looks. Plus the Axe 8 is built like a TANK. The Helix look like you could break it.

Judging build quality based on looks? There's video of them drop testing, kicking and otherwise abusing a Helix. This was one of the design considerations.

As for the joystick, it's not what I expected. Looks like a regular large knob that can be moved and pushed and rotated. I don't know that it's any less robust than the knobs on the AX8.

Sound is what counts not looks. Plus the Axe 8 is built like a TANK. The Helix look like you could break it.

wow, so much misinformation.

There is plenty of actual evidence around regarding the Helix and its road-worthiness. They put it through some extensive testing (abuse).

wow, so much misinformation.

There is plenty of actual evidence around regarding the Helix and its road-worthiness. They put it through some extensive testing (abuse).

And from the OP. I'll wait to hear them myself.

Well, to be honest, the display is one aspect of my AFX that I absolutely hate. It's not the deciding factor obviously for me but it's certainly a pain in the ass to use the front panel for anything except minor tweaks (actually, I try to avoid those as well unless I absolutely must do them). Axe-Edit saves the day, but it's not always an option.

The display on the MFC is equally miserable, and that's a bigger deal.

So I'd say a decent display is an advantage for a piece of gear that has multiple tweaking options.

Have to agree with you on this, AxeFX / MFC-101 have some shortcomings in this area IMHO, particularly in a live context...

Be great if Fractal could redesign the MFC to include some of Helix's floor unit user-friendly functionality, hands-free controls, scribble strips, etc. Any front panel awkwardness would then be irrelevant as AxeEdit is really good for the studio / home environment...

Last edited:
Judging build quality based on looks? There's video of them drop testing, kicking and otherwise abusing a Helix. This was one of the design considerations.

As for the joystick, it's not what I expected. Looks like a regular large knob that can be moved and pushed and rotated. I don't know that it's any less robust than the knobs on the AX8.

I agree it was just my observation I'm sure it will hold up to a lot of abuse.

I watched a video demonstrating the Helix a while back.
I also had the axe fx on, and was just kind of noodling around on a JTM45 preset.
They got to a point in the video where they were demonstrating the JTM45 on the Helix.
Strummed a couple chords on the Axe Fx JTM45 just to check.

No comparison. To put these two units up against each other is laughable at best.

I watched a video demonstrating the Helix a while back.
I also had the axe fx on, and was just kind of noodling around on a JTM45 preset.
They got to a point in the video where they were demonstrating the JTM45 on the Helix.
Strummed a couple chords on the Axe Fx JTM45 just to check.

No comparison. To put these two units up against each other is laughable at best.

You mean your Axe through your system sounded better than a YouTube video? Revelatory! LOL
-
Austin

Since the AX-8 has dedicated knobs for amp & what appears to parameter adjustment under the display, hopefully that means less relying on the display.

I just hope we get all of the deep editing of the Axe II thru Axe Edit on the AX-8.

Yes, you do.......all of the amp models from the Axe FX, and all of the deep editing....front panel or AX8-edit.

As nice as a Helix LCD looks, I really can't see a 6.2" screen being better than my 30" monitor running Axe-Edit.

I mean sure it looks nicer than the Axe front panel, but do I really want to be bend over for an hour tweaking Helix patches (or trying to do it using my feet) instead of just sitting down in front of my PC in a comfortable deskchair, with a nice monitor and mouse and doing the same thing ?
or someone had a long dick to use the helix touch screen :mrgreen

Back
Top Bottom