AXE 8 VS. Helix GAME Over!!!

He mentioned 12 effects blocks in another thread and that cab modeling had its own accelerator to prevent cpu loading?

I can't wait to see the specs.

This fiddling about a screen is a bit "limited" IMHO. Since there is Axe Edit on earth I never edited a patch on the unit's screen that I only use for adjustments or some smaller mods during rehearsal, and it just permits me to remain in confidence what patch or scene I actually am running. I agree the "H" has probably a more "sexy" appeal, but personnally - if the pricing will permit me to buy an AX8 because the unit is a backup for my AXE FX II and shall be my travel companion - I'd go for the sound and FX of FAS that remain a sure value and guarantee regular updates. The double amp however is an interesting option of the "H". I'd like to be able to hear both though. I'm not so convinced that 'Fractal boys' wouldn't recognize a good quality product as another forum suggests; most FAS users were users of other equipment before and evolved to FAS because it was and for the time being still seems to be the best product available on the market. If tomorrow there will be a better product, they will go there, but for the time being - not having tested any of both AX8 and H - I don't see one on the horizon.

Axe-Edit isn't always an option, sometimes I need to tweak things without a computer connected via USB. Like today I had to do it at a rehearsal. It's a pain. Doable, but clumsy. And I certainly miss a large display with current preset/scene on my MFC.

Purchasing the RFC12 interface has made tweaking the AXE FXII INFINTLEY more straight forward......I hope the AX8 has similar capability!

"I'm wondering if Cliff built the AX-8 too great?".......so gotta say before even read last quote this is fan boy at it's best..Helix sounds artificial? Many say the same for Axe, this aint trolling, there are thousands with an Axe but also millions without one who mock and laugh at amp sims, most modern gear if edited can get a superb sound, great gear not edited sounds crap..Cliff and co will keep forging ahead and improving but must read some of these posts and cry..how better can he get it?

If posters keep knocking and mocking other gear I wll be straight on the reply button, it's all progress and all good, we are the winners. Boss had a monopoly for years, remember?

Had a look at this Amplifire thing this afternoon and see it's on the basis of 1048bit IR, no UR on the horizon but it seems like the quality/price ratio is very good for that unit, a bit of a hassle to connect an expression pedal, but seems to be a very roadworthy and accessible solution (no fear to leave the thing an hour onstage without surveillance). BTW frontpage character style of the Amplifire gives you the feeling the unit has been "fractal" designed.
Wondered also on what IR size "H" has been designed & guess the response to that question might be determinating for what ballpark this unit will be playing in. All the difference will be there.

Look in the Helix samples thread on TGP and play the two SLO lead clips. I am using my iPad and can't link to it (I've never really got the hang of using this thing). I think they sound as good as the Axe II model. I think the Helix will be a real success. In the right hands, even an old Pod can sound awesome. People get too hung up on A vs B. It's just great that there is competition, it can only be good for us Axe II users.

True, a pod can sound awesome, as long as it is used within its scope. A rockman can sound awesome (even hides errors). I know we thought so when we had never played through something else. Really what is unique is the ability to audition so much that would require analog gear. Rockman, POD, Vox modeling, we've been through a lot to try and find features packed into countless professional rigs and studios. Not everyone will miss everything, and its hard to miss what you never knew. But flexibility can do wonders to bring out the uniqueness of an artist. Best wishes to Line 6. Tough little company. Personally I believe Cliff and Kemper have both put the fire under them in a volcanic way. Really the differences between all this gear is a boon artistically. My hunch is that those differences still leave me in an advantaged position since I have had access to Firmware updates regularly this whole time, and access to the innards of what makes Axe Fx amps feel certain ways. There has never been a company I have been served better by than Fractal.

Last edited:
Wondered also on what IR size "H" has been designed & guess the response to that question might be determinating for what ballpark this unit will be playing in. All the difference will be there.

"H" IRs: Can store up to 128 1024 or 2048 point IRs and a preset can run up to four IRs simultaneously, DSP permitting.

Agree

When I'm playing all I need is the patch name and scene indicator on my MFC. I don't even look at the rack.

Don't really want to put on my reading glasses and bend over on stage to read the fine print on those Helix scribble strips. I mean yeah it is cool and all, but is it actually usable for me ? Probably not.

I just know what each foot switch on the Axe does and I can run things half blind LOL

+1 and is the display and scibble strips even viewable in daylight or LED lighting, doh!

I can't imagine they didn't make the scribble screens readable outdoors.

Both RJM and LF have that down, from what I've read.

One thing i will say ,and at first i thought it was great and we were going to get some cool clips even if guy wasn't the best player .

IMO , That guy Mr.Boston has now turned into a nightmare ,and has taken a lot of momentum thats Sean Halley , Paul Hindmarsh etc started to build and has shot it too hell.

With online 7 hours vids of playing blues bends and talking care of business rifffs .I never want to be mean on the net or hurt feelings but that guy has just got to STOP.

Today was a Live video or him calling ZZZsounds to follow up his order and harass some guy ,it gone from Cool preview ,to ok that good ,to ridiculous

One thing i will say ,and at first i thought it was great and we were going to get some cool clips even if guy wasn't the best player .

IMO , That guy Mr.Boston has now turned into a nightmare ,and has taken a lot of momentum thats Sean Halley , Paul Hindmarsh etc started to build and has shot it too hell.

With online 7 hours vids of playing blues bends and talking care of business rifffs .I never want to be mean on the net or hurt feelings but that guy has just got to STOP.

Today was a Live video or him calling ZZZsounds to follow up his order and harass some guy ,it gone from Cool preview ,to ok that good ,to ridiculous
And if that's not bad enough, some tgp guy set up a go fund me page for him for no apparent reason.

He's like the comic book guy or something. It's actually been creepy just to watch even a little of it.

That kind of stuff doesn't do it for me anyway. I guess some people on the interwebz are all about it though.

The game over was his personal experience - not everyone's.

There have been at least a hundred to one people with L6 pre-orders that have said the same thing in regards of Helix vs Axe with no experience of each. And there is enough info/media around to form somewhat of an opinion, even though not complete.

And the line 6 fan boys sound just as rediculous if they say game over. They are just tools. Buy the one that suits you best, it doesn't make the other any less cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I said anyone who pushes the product, lowers price, is champ in my book, at the moment I have Cliff and the boys in front, but technology has got a funny way of biting back. Look how Boss GT literally staggnated I bought loads, then the HD range kicked it into the Thames. Line 6 forum was the same. If a product is so perfect, what incentive is there to improve it? And if its perfect why did users throw themselves off the cliff (pun) after V19...I swear one day Cliff might just do the "Emperor's new clothes" version and sit back, open a bottle and have a laugh. Lol if he hasn't done so already!

Back
Top Bottom