AXE 8 VS. Helix GAME Over!!!

I wouldn't have any second thoughts about checking a Tele or Strat in a Mono bag, but NEVER a Les Paul...
Do Mono cases protect Teles and Strats better than they protect LPs, or do you just not care about them as much? ;)

I do quite a few gigs flying and I ALWAYS fly with my guitar in a gigbag. Safest way for me. I also have on my phone the excerpt from the transport administration that allows me to do so regardless of what a overzealous employee might say - though I have never run into anyone not allowing me to carry my guitar on board. Mostly the flight personnel ask if they can put it in the pilot's or first class locker for me.

Love my Fenders. It's the Gibson headstock joint that I would never trust to a gig bag.
I hear you. But that headstock joint is the weak link on every guitar. No gig bag protects that joint like a good hard case.

Next time you have an empty Mono in your hands, bend it at the neck. It takes some effort, but you can do it. Then put a guitar into it, and try the same thing. You won't have to put much force into it at all before you feel the neck taking the load.

Then try the same thing with a hard case. ;)

Oh, I'm not saying the mono bag is as good as a hard case. Just that I would not have as much concern with a Fender and would never trust it with a Gibson.

Ok, now back to our regularly scheduled program...

Oh, I'm not saying the mono bag is as good as a hard case. Just that I would not have as much concern with a Fender and would never trust it with a Gibson..
Understood. All I'm saying (in response to post #160) is that I would never check any soft bag into airline baggage.

As I said anyone who pushes the product, lowers price, is champ in my book, at the moment I have Cliff and the boys in front, but technology has got a funny way of biting back. Look how Boss GT literally staggnated I bought loads, then the HD range kicked it into the Thames. Line 6 forum was the same. If a product is so perfect, what incentive is there to improve it? And if its perfect why did users throw themselves off the cliff (pun) after V19...I swear one day Cliff might just do the "Emperor's new clothes" version and sit back, open a bottle and have a laugh. Lol if he hasn't done so already!

That's a classic about the "Emperor's new clothes" but I doubt if he would jump off the cliff edge with that.

Maybe there have been big advances though? It's been a long while since I listened to an Axe live ... it was good but still sounded digital to me.

I can confirm the Helix blows though. I have had one for a week now and if you listen to amp model only through studio headphones or monitors it is shit. Sure you can tweak it, add effects, put it through a tube power amp and make it sound bearable but why spend ages treating a mediocre sound to make it decent? I want a great sound that I can tweak to make it mind blowing like I am or I may as well stay in analogland! :geek

attachment.php

Ok, that puts it in perspective.

Some users will want more switches and a built in expression pedal so some may view that as an advantage.

Personally, I prefer to choose my own expression pedals and am glad FAS did not include one.

Eric: You're forgetting all of the ins/outs and routing options on the back panel that make good use of the extra width.

It's too risky to take a guitar in a gigbag on the plane. It's KLM. They're very bureaucratic and won't say if it would even be possible to take it into the cabin. Quite possible they'll chuck it in the hold anyway. And with only the gigbag to protect it...
I'm aware of the risks of unscrewing the neck. I've done refrets on it. I installed wood insert nuts in the neck with Stainless Steel bolts through the heel. Nothing will happen.

I have a voyage air that's a decent guitar Mine has two P90s and I replaced the bridge pickup with a P90 size humbucker:

Used by pros:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24fyoXRH9_8

Tele style:

https://reverb.com/item/1181592-voy...cy=USD&pla=1&gclid=CK7vw72vvsgCFU2RHwodPLkJRA

These are cheaper elsewhere:

http://www.voyageairguitar.com/guit...transaxe-series-ver-1-belair-tv-yellow-detail

Last edited:
I do quite a few gigs flying and I ALWAYS fly with my guitar in a gigbag. Safest way for me. I also have on my phone the excerpt from the transport administration that allows me to do so regardless of what a overzealous employee might say - though I have never run into anyone not allowing me to carry my guitar on board. Mostly the flight personnel ask if they can put it in the pilot's or first class locker for me.

They do NOT have to let you carry it onboard. There has to be storage room in the overhead compartments. The flights I was on last month did not have the room for a full size guitar but I took my Emerald X5-Life travel acoustic which fits just about anywhere. Had I brought on a full size electric in a monobag, they would have been within their rights to force me to check it or leave it.

Yeah, but do they check them? Mono makes nice cases, but they're not ATA-rated.
ATA is an American thing. Not needed. Also, if they're not locked they don't need ATA. But that has obvious drawbacks. Thanks for the suggestion. I think my solution is the least bad. I'll try to get an Amplifire. Or a Zoom G3X. Whatever.

But we're off topic.

Some users will want more switches and a built in expression pedal so some may view that as an advantage.
That's one of the advantages I see, yeah.

Size wise, that's very manageable. I currently carry a bigger case with built-in DI for acoustic and classic guitar that I won't need in the near future. Our other player still uses a full tube amp with a 4x12 cabinet, so...

Err, can we get back to topic?

jakbur, you made some valid points after one week with the helix. I listened to a comparison between the helix and the AXE FX II. I liked some of the helix clips better I must admit, let alone the TGP fanboys - less low mids/bass and less polished. Maybe it was just an EQ thing, but I don´t know. Nevertheless I already stated that the feel a certain gear gives me while playing is just as important. I take from your words that this is exactly where the Axe felt better than the helix. This and the smaller size of the coming AX8 would help my decision. Thanks also for the pics, guys...

That Helix Deluxe Reverb is a horrible flabby mess. There's no way a real DR at that gain level has that much flab.

I've heard a lot of flab in other Helix demos and not just the DR model. Not impressed with that.

But I did like the Helix Plexi. The IR choice for the Axe Plexi was bad.

The Helix AC30 does not sound like an AC30. Sorry, missed the mark on that one.

For what it's worth I hated the Marsha/BE from both units.

But I hear tones from the Helix that I could use. Given the right choice of IR some of those models might sound great. But since I'm already enjoying the AxeFX there's absolutely no reason that I would switch. I have no doubt that the AxeFX/AX8 platform will see continuous improvement. Whether L6 will offer timely updates and free amp models with the Helix remains to be seen.

It's been a long while since I listened to an Axe live ... it was good but still sounded digital to me. I can confirm the Helix blows though. I have had one for a week now and if you listen to amp model only through studio headphones or monitors it is shit.
Do you like any digital modelers at the moment?

attachment.php

Ok, that puts it in perspective.

Personally, I prefer to choose my own expression pedals and am glad FAS did not include one.

It would've been really cool if there was a mounting bracket available for the FX8/AX8 and EV1's so if you wanted, you could attach the pedal(s). And if you wanted to be really slick, the chassis' of both could've been designed to mate up as well as an interconnect on the sides keeping the connections internal.

Back
Top Bottom