ZYBORG (8-string content, for fans of The Contortionist)

This is my latest mix, which I feel is my best yet. I recorded, mixed, and mastered my friend's band.

Guitars and bass are all Axe Fx II, drums are Superior Drummer.
I feel like I've progressed a lot with my mixes, but some critiques on this mix would really be appreciated!

I'd personally have to say you did a great job. The drums are mixed in nicely and have natural space to them. They may be a little quiet for my tastes but seems that you want the guitars to be out in front which is how the mix sounds. Bass is dropped in nicely. Only other thing is that maybe the clean guitar in the beginning vs distortion guitar may of been slightly louder. That could just be my ears since I always expect distortion to come in a bit louder to add some impact in that transition. Maybe just drop the clean guitars very slightly and see how that sounds.

Other than that, excellent job IMO!

I'd personally have to say you did a great job. The drums are mixed in nicely and have natural space to them. They may be a little quiet for my tastes but seems that you want the guitars to be out in front which is how the mix sounds. Bass is dropped in nicely. Only other thing is that maybe the clean guitar in the beginning vs distortion guitar may of been slightly louder. That could just be my ears since I always expect distortion to come in a bit louder to add some impact in that transition. Maybe just drop the clean guitars very slightly and see how that sounds.

Thanks for the kind words!

Yeah I was considering dropping the master track during the clean parts, but I was a bit scared to try that haha

Sounds great on my laptop speakers :) I will check it out on my monitors when I get home and see if I can contribute any critiques. Dig everything I heard so far though! good job

I actually really enjoyed this man. It's nice hearing someone that utilizes all the strings available on an 8-string and not just ride on the bottom string. You said for fans of The Contortionist and I can honestly say it sounds like something they would do haha. Great job!

I second on the distortion being a bit higher. I always expect the distortion to come up a bit more in my face as well.

My personal taste propel me toward harsher distortion sound may be the mixer, may the guitars.

I'll have to listen through my monitors to get an overall feel. But I like how it's panned out.

Bear in mind that I have zero mixing knowledge, this is only from a spectator's point of view.

Thanks for all the compliments!!

I second on the distortion being a bit higher. I always expect the distortion to come up a bit more in my face as well.

My personal taste propel me toward harsher distortion sound may be the mixer, may the guitars.

I'll have to listen through my monitors to get an overall feel. But I like how it's panned out.

Bear in mind that I have zero mixing knowledge, this is only from a spectator's point of view.

Yeah I'll definitely be making the distorted/heavier parts louder for future mixes. Thanks for the insight!

Sounds great to my ears, no need to change anything imo.
If it sounds good, It’s good enough ;)

Back
Top Bottom