"ZOOM G3Xn" for a backup rig?

stratos

Inspired
Hey guys..anyone try one of these?
Looking for a backup for my rig.
Videos demos decent, but the "FEEL" is what we all are accustomed to..right?

Considering what else is available in the sub-$300 category, these new ZOOM products are as good a choice - perhaps a lot better in terms of the caliber of modeling you get at that price - as any other budget priced multi-fx modeler.

I have a Zoom G3. I carry it as a back up in case of extreme emergency. I hope I never have to use it at a gig. Still, it's not bad for practice while traveling... and it goes with me on business trips. I picked 4 or 5 factory presets that could get me by if absolutely necessary. You get what you pay for... so don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed. And, after years of carrying at least two tube rigs everywhere I went, I would say the G3 is cheap insurance. If cash is not an object an AX8 or a used axe fx II would be way way better. Just my two cents, FWIW.

Bought a G3x for a band trip two years ago. I made do with it, but didn't enjoy it. Spent many hours at home preparing and getting to know the thing, still many more hours at the hotel trying to get to sound better. That was not how I wanted to spend that time. Sold it as soon as we got back. I guess I'm just spoiled.

I compared it to a Tech 21 Fly Rig 5 Plexi and did prefer the Zoom. The Fly Rig is very limited.
I'm considering the Atomic AmpliFire 12 for next time since that can load third party IRs. The original AmpliFire is also too limited in controls.

Last edited:
Sorry but I had one and could not get any giggable tones with it. I was barely able to get anything I liked to practice with. The only thing I used it for was the looper. If you're looking for a cheap gig-worthy backup, I'd recommend the POD XT Live.

EDIT: I prefer the XT Live tones (edge of breakup especially) over the X3 Live and HD series as well.

Just to make sure this is staying on topic, the OP is talking about the latest version of pedals - the "n" series. The G3xn is a small format pedal with attached exp pedal. The new G3n/G5n are also generally regarding - amongst those who previously owned the G5/G3 - to have significantly better modeling, so I'm not sure that using the G3/G5 as a basis point for comparison is fair.

If we use price, ease of use, size, and quality of tone as the basic criteria, the Zoom G3xn is a very good choice, especially if you're looking for the best quality amp/cab modeling possible in a sub-$300 (new) pedal.

Being spoiled by Fractal gear makes comparing "quality" among low-end pedals all the more difficult, and IMO you're not really going to get close until you step up to the Atomic Amplifire stuff, but this brings you to a whole different price point, too.

@stratos is looking for a backup and in my experience the XT Live is the best low cost modeler available that's in the form factor he seems to be looking for. I'm also presuming that he has a Fractal product and having had the ZOOM G3 and Line 6 XT Live, using the X3 Live and trying an HD 300, the XT Live is by far what I would personally choose as a backup to my AX8.

I gigged with the XT Live for several years and couldn't get the G3 to a point where I liked what I heard through a PA, even just as a backup. After owning the G3, the clips I've heard of the G3n wouldn't be enough to convince me to try it.

@stratos is looking for a backup and in my experience the XT Live is the best low cost modeler available that's in the form factor he seems to be looking for.

How do you know this? He's seen online videos of the G3xn, and it's half the size footprint of the boat anchor XT Live. What if the OP is looking for something small to throw in his gig bag?

Yes, I use an FX2, SS amp, and a cab.
Spoiled rotten (of course)
Used numerous modelers over the years. Of course, they all can cover square waves. I have yet find anything that suits my taste for clean, and crunch tones.
I appreciate all the input guys, only a "Fractalite" understands where I am coming from here.
I was even looking at building a JFET preamp into the front end of a Digitech I have, but cost in time and money put me in the territory of just picking something up.

Right Jim. Trying to keep my load down to a minimum.

Hoping to find someone who has tried one of these out, and can give a candid response.

How do you know this? He's seen online videos of the G3xn, and it's half the size footprint of the boat anchor XT Live. What if the OP is looking for something small to throw in his gig bag?
Built in expression pedal - form factor, not size. You seem to want to turn this into some debate or invalidate other's opinions. I'm trying to help him.

If size is a deciding factor, then I'd suggest the VOX Tonelab ST. I still like the tones of the XT live over any of the others though. I had the Tonelab ST but never tried it live so I can't say with certainty it translates well from home to stage but I did like the tones I was able to get with Tonelab better than the G3

I did use the Tonelab LE live for a few weeks and it sounded very good, just not as versatile and tonally consistent as the POD. The Tonelab's models sounded similar to each other, just varying levels of gain, and the effects were limited which is why I didn't stick with it.

BTW, my suggestions come from over 15 years of extensive use of modelers live and at home. Not offering any advice based upon what I've found on google. I've had and/or used the following devices:

Johnon J-Station - Used live
Behringer VAMP and V Amp 2 - Used V Amp 2 live
VOX Tonelab LE and ST - Used LE live
POD 1.0, 2.0 and XT kidney beans, XT and X3 Live, HD300 - Used XT-X3 Live and 2.0 live
ZOOM G3 - Used live
AVID Eleven Rack
Fractal AX8

That's what I'm looking for Sonofiam. I Love my rig, but odds increase of a failure on any element, with time, and usage.
My present BU is a Digitech GNX3. Tried it at practice, and chunked it back in the closet when I got home......uhg!
(Hard to believe I used this thing, for years, and was happy with it.)
Smaller is best for sure Jim, but I can leave a boat anchor in the truck, run and get it.

BTW, my suggestions come from over 15 years of extensive use of modelers live and at home. Not offering any advice based upon what I've found on google. I've had and/or used the following devices:

Johnon J-Station - Used live
Behringer VAMP and V Amp 2 - Used V Amp 2 live
VOX Tonelab LE and ST - Used LE live
POD 1.0, 2.0 and XT kidney beans, XT and X3 Live, HD300 - Used XT-X3 Live and 2.0 live
ZOOM G3 - Used live
AVID Eleven Rack
Fractal AX8

Congratulations!

tenor.gif

I have an old SansAmp (the model escapes me). It's one of their old tiny little boxes that has a Clean/Mesa/Marshall.
It's very small and has 3 channels (but not the one with 3 buttons).
Anyway, the modeling is not bad at all. I keep it in my gig back for emergencies. It runs on 9v power if needed as well.
For me, it's a perfect back up.

How on earth did you gig with this? I owned one and gave it away....literally.
Got it when they first came out and made a couple of patches that worked for what I needed at the time. I found some things were better on the Vamp than the POD, but to each their own.

Back
Top Bottom