ZOIA or HX Stomp to supplement FM3?

eric_

I know there have been separate discussions on these but nothing that really compares the two. I'll primarily be using the FM3 as an effects only processor straight into a clean amp, so the modelling aspects of the HX Stomp are nice to have but not that relevant. I'm looking for something that will -

i) allow me to create weird, non-traditional guitar sounds (surely ZOIA?)

ii) take some of the CPU load for more traditional effects when needed e.g. reverb, delays, pitch, harmonizer, (not sure which has better reverbs and delays, Helix seems to have better pitch algorithms?)

iii) allow for complex routing with parallel effects chains (possibly either here?)

iv) integrate easily with the FM3 through midi (most likely simple preset changes)

I know the Stomp is probably much easier to use but I don't mind menu diving as most of the work will be done at home and saved as presets. Any other info on aspects of these two that I haven't considered are also much appreciated.

I would go HXFX before I went Stomp, If you don't have a need for the amp sims.
I don't agree, the HXFX is way bigger than the stomp, it is practically the same size as the FM3.

Another option to consider, and one that I will likely be doing in the future, is to get a Boss GT-1000core. You get a load of great Boss effects (i.e. RV-500, DD-500, etc.), and a super-light vacation/practice rig. In my particular situation, I am looking for something I could put in my guitar gig bag and easily take on a plane when traveling with my wife, in addition to adding extra effects when I want to save some CPU on my FM3 at home.

I have both, and this internet driven article of faith is not true. Editing on the device is of similar difficulty for the two. The FM3 computer editor is far superior.

I had meant that the Stomp is probably much easier to edit than the ZOIA. However I agree that Fractal's software is great.

I had meant that the Stomp is probably much easier to edit than the ZOIA. However I agree that Fractal's software is great.
My mistake. It's sort of apparent from context.

I've never been tempted to pair my HX Stomp with the FM3. They overlap in function, and I don't feel that the FM3 is lacking anything. The HX is more of an ultra-light grab'n'go alternative and backup. I don't know much about the Zoia, but it seems to be something decidedly different.

My mistake. It's sort of apparent from context.

I've never been tempted to pair my HX Stomp with the FM3. They overlap in function, and I don't feel that the FM3 is lacking anything. The HX is more of an ultra-light grab'n'go alternative and backup. I don't know much about the Zoia, but it seems to be something decidedly different.

Yes they're definitely different. My issue is that the ZOIA is the obvious choice in one way, and the Stomp (or perhaps GT1000 Core) is the obvious choice in another. I'm only looking to buy one so it's primarily a question really of how well the ZOIA works as a more conventional effects unit, and how well the Stomp would work for weirder stuff.

I use the poly for its looper which is great and the convolution reverbs. The poly beebo is worth checking out.

the zoia has a huge learning curve... but it can do many more weird "non-guitar" things compared to the hxstomp. I'd agree with 2112 to check out the polydigit/beebo as it might be the middle road to take.

I know there have been separate discussions on these but nothing that really compares the two. I'll primarily be using the FM3 as an effects only processor straight into a clean amp, so the modelling aspects of the HX Stomp are nice to have but not that relevant. I'm looking for something that will -

i) allow me to create weird, non-traditional guitar sounds (surely ZOIA?)

ii) take some of the CPU load for more traditional effects when needed e.g. reverb, delays, pitch, harmonizer, (not sure which has better reverbs and delays, Helix seems to have better pitch algorithms?)

iii) allow for complex routing with parallel effects chains (possibly either here?)

iv) integrate easily with the FM3 through midi (most likely simple preset changes)

I know the Stomp is probably much easier to use but I don't mind menu diving as most of the work will be done at home and saved as presets. Any other info on aspects of these two that I haven't considered are also much appreciated.
It seems like you place a premium on "weird, non-traditional guitar sounds". May I suggest that the FM3 is quite capable of producing these (also of accommodating complex parallel effects chains)? Have you heard some of the stock presets? There is some crazy and impressive stuff in there.

So, if you accept that, then the main issue for you could be lightening the CPU load in order to make even weirder non-traditional guitar noises. The easiest way to do that is to remove the reverb burden from the unit. You might be able to make do with a good reverb pedal. If you want something a little more capable, then go with the Poly Beebo.

Back
Top Bottom