Z VEX Fuzz Factory

Do you want this feature?

• Total voters
Ok, I may be wrong here. It happens...a lot. :p In my defense, I've never owned any format of Fuzz Face. The previous models I'd used were always harsher than the wooly Big Muff. (I assume the Bender suggested is the Coloursound one, not the Vox, which is basically a Fuzz Face itself.)

I'm quite accustomed to a lot of different fuzz pedals and I don't even know in which category to put the one from the Axe. The Vox usually to me sounds way mid'ier than a FuzzFace, more 'buzzy bees' if you want. I've got a Colorsound Tonebender and again...way different. The Axe's Fuzz has a kind of 'digital synthetic'ness' about it which I really like actually. By now I don't even think anymore that Cliff modeled it on anything particular...

or build your own....it's just a basic germanium fuzz-circuit design with a few more knobs to tweak on your sound...

http://www.synthdiy.com/show/file/?id=2153

of corse, the housing of the ZVex is pretty nice too

Hehe, I already have one. My point is I'd like to leave it at home! And I am very sure a lot of people here would like one, but not enough to pay whatever Zachary is charging..can't remember how much, but I think it's steep.

better amps/cabs are more worthwhile at the moment.

I don't think the amps or cabs are what needs work right now...I think they sound great and have plenty of options/possibilities. All the time I hear about how we should all shut up about new models, coz "the AXE already has the tools, it's just a matter of tweaking". Well, here's a model that I honestly can't even start imagining how to replicate with the tools available.

Zvex Fuzz Factory

I'm very impressed by the Zvex Fuzz Factory.
Wouldn't it be nice to have one in the axe-fx?

I'm a new Axe Ultra owner and this thing is amazing...the Fuzz Factory is one of the few pedals that AxeFX cannot replicate. I just wanted to bump this thread to voice my support if this is something that is at all possible with the Axe.

If you could control the drive function with an expression pedal that would be amazing.

If the Hard Fuzz is not a Fuzz Face model, or at least doesn't sound like a Fuzz Face, and the FF is a widely-used sound/type of fuzz, shouldn't we ask Cliff to add an authentic Fuzz Face model to the Axe? Called "Face Fuzz" perhaps? I can't judge it's verisimilitude, fuzz is not my forte, just drawing the logical conclusion out of the discussion.

As for the Fuzz Factory, seems like it's a well-liked but finicky effect that some feel would be great to have, others feel is too specialized to bother including. If the Fuzz Factory is in essence a highly tweakable Fuzz Face, perhaps one solution is to add a Face Fuzz AND add lots of advanced-page tweakable parameters to the Drive block, covering most or all of the ground of the Fuzz Factory (and maybe more) but also allowing for lots of other sounds by applying those same parameters to other drives. That might satisfy the Fuzz Factory fans while also benefiting everyone else who uses drives and is looking for some unusual sounds. Again, just drawing the logical conclusion out of the discussion.

A Face Factory? :cool:

I don't really think the Factory sounds much like the Fuzzface...I pulled out my Z Vex collection today and fooled around with them...Vex is a very disturbed man =) Love those crazy pedals. As for the "too specialized" argument, I must say I think the Axe contains many "specialized" effects that many will probably never need. However, I think it's great having a huge pallette of sounds even though I don't need them all. I don't think everyone needs the Fuzzfactory or even like it. But the same goes for certain parts of the pitch shifter, ring mod, multi delays, synth, vocoder, formant, resonator and so on. I'm still really glad they're there, and I'm sure many agree.

chase said:
If the Hard Fuzz is not a Fuzz Face model, or at least doesn't sound like a Fuzz Face, and the FF is a widely-used sound/type of fuzz, shouldn't we ask Cliff to add an authentic Fuzz Face model to the Axe? Called "Face Fuzz" perhaps? I can't judge it's verisimilitude, fuzz is not my forte, just drawing the logical conclusion out of the discussion.

As for the Fuzz Factory, seems like it's a well-liked but finicky effect that some feel would be great to have, others feel is too specialized to bother including. If the Fuzz Factory is in essence a highly tweakable Fuzz Face, perhaps one solution is to add a Face Fuzz AND add lots of advanced-page tweakable parameters to the Drive block, covering most or all of the ground of the Fuzz Factory (and maybe more) but also allowing for lots of other sounds by applying those same parameters to other drives. That might satisfy the Fuzz Factory fans while also benefiting everyone else who uses drives and is looking for some unusual sounds. Again, just drawing the logical conclusion out of the discussion.

It is already a wish list item.

javajunkie said:
It is already a wish list item.

Yeah, both of my suggestions are. I wasn't proposing anything new, just pointing out that it might be possible to kill three birds with two stones. If the Fuzz Factory and the Fuzz Face aren't related then it's a moot point anyway. I'm more interested in the advanced page flexibility suggested by the Factory than I am in the Factory itself, personally.

(edited to add quote for context)

danielodland said:
They might be technically related, I don't know. I just don't hear the resemblence.
I think the circuit is pretty much of a FuzzFace. The thing is just that Vex made a lot of the usually set parameters available to tweak. A little like Cliff with the amp sims ;) . You can actually get pretty normal FF sounds out of the Factory as well...

yop53 said:
Any news about this wish? :)

cliff added advanced control to the drive blocks. It still doesn't sputter and gate like a fuzz factory, but it allow for a lot of tweaking.

Back
Top Bottom