YT: MB Dual Rectifier and Axe FX New Recto comparison...

Feared

Had less to do yesterday so I cooked together a comparison between a mic'ed Dual Rectifier and Axe Fx New recto straight into my sound card.

It's not that I tried to copy one or the other with the sound but they turned out sounding pretty much alike.

Whichever one sounds best is up for you guys to decide...

Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76S3E-wEgYY

Awesome tune, Ola. :cool:

To be honest, I prefer the real Recto in this clip. It has some extra top end/presence over the Axe that I like. Though with Cliff's reworked/tweaked presence modeling making an appearance in the next firmware, the Axe could very well pull this off perfectly. And for the record, both clips sound amazing, I just prefer the real one this time. ;)

I thought there was a fairly noticeable difference in the tone. The real Recto sounds more present and clear, and the Axe-FX Recto sounds a bit darker, throatier, and just slightly muddier. I think a lot of this comes down to the different cabs, though. I'd imagine the cab in the Axe-FX has V30s instead of C90s, so it's not a completely fair comparison. That said, though, I'm not hearing a bit of difference as far as either one sounding more "real". To me, they both sound just as much like real amps, so the tone is definitely there. Both tones sound great.

There was a noticeable difference in the tone and presence. The real Recto sounds more present and clear, and the Axe-FX Recto sounds a bit darker, throatier, and just slightly muddier. A bit of EQ & presence could fix that, but the global amp sounds are very identical. As mentioned before, the speaker cab & TS808 pedal could have the influence, but that is being too picky. Great tone and valueable comparision :) Just one question, how does the playing feel & dynamics compare on both?

biggness said:
Though with Cliff's reworked/tweaked presence modeling making an appearance in the next firmware, the Axe could very well pull this off perfectly.

Oh, really? Where can I read more about it? The presence moddeling is about the only thing in the axe that doesn't sound as natural as a tube amp.

But on this recording I can barely tell a difference.

@Ola:
A thing that would be worth a try: Plug the Axe into the Fx-return of one of your amps and record it with the 57 (leaving the PA-sim in the axe on).

I'd die for that patch!
Really awesome tone and playing!

@ Felix:

I'm not sure where I read it, but I do remember him giving mention of it. Try an author search on his username "FractalAudio" and you can find it.

I must say there was a big difference (at least when listening on my reference speakers in the studio), but as stated earlier here it's probably because of the cabs you use (v30?, 75?).

But you for sure can get there 100% with some tweaking.

Anyways, cool to hear and appreciate guys making comparisons like this :)

very cool vid, i couldn't tell much difference at all listening through headphones but now listening in my studio there's a huge difference with the top end. the amp sounds better to me it definitely has the edge on the top end, its very clear and transparent without any harshness.its probably just the axe fx settings and ir choice making it more muffled. both sounds were good though ;)

not much difference but I like the Axe better it's a little more defined and has a touch more bite and sizzle. I'd take either tone in a second. And I could if you would post a preset for it lol? :D

panicchain said:
The axe has definately more fizz in it

anyway cool sound

Mind sharing? ;)
Really? I didn't here any fizz in either of those tones. I thought the Axe tone was a shade darker than the real Mesa but that could be easily changed. Great comparison though!

Back
Top Bottom