YT: Axe-Fx II vs Axe-Fx Ultra

If you do one of these again, try sending the same raw file to both units.

he already did that a few weeks or months ago, comparing both units at default/same settings

btw Clark, the guys pushing the II on you, yes some might be emotional justification, but others.. they probably only want you to get an Axe II so that you will join their half of the community. If you have an Axe II, your contributions to the forum will directly benefit axe II players.

I guess it's time to reveal this. It is *drumroll*....

... the other way around. So in both of these "which one is first" clips it's Ultra first and II second.

Now this was not 100% comparable since post EQ will give the Ultra more low end dynamics. You might be fooled by the waveform especially in the fade out part which has a bump in the Ultra clip because of the low end EQ boost. So... post EQing an amp can make it more dynamic.

If you want proof then both of those clips are being played in the video and just listen to the mid-gain clip f.ex. I play it in a different way than Irotlas does.

So I don't think this comparison was measuring which of these units is better (that would be the II ofcourse) but more about showing that you can make them sound the same, if not by tweaking then going the lazy route and match EQ them. :) I think I might match EQ me some of the amp models from the II. ;)

I didn't even listen to the clips, I was just going by the waveforms. I'm used to seeing more waveform variation in the II vs. the Ultra so I'm a bit surprised. The bump in the decay I thought was surely a dead giveaway.

This must be the 20th time that someone on the board tells me to buy the Axe-II. I've played with the II by now. Maybe I can make my own mind.
Whoa dude! No offense meant, I thought I was making a friendly suggestion. Now my feeling is all hurt. :)

I clearly state before the comparison clip that I matched the Ultra afterwards...
You say 'Clearly' but many casual readers don't know what 'Match EQ' is, let alone that they'll need a DAW and tech skillz. Many will just watch your video and conclude "Wow, the Ultra sounds just like the II", period, and think they'll be able to do the same.

and there are TWO clips and not just one.
Yes, sorry my bad.

Once again this is just proof how effective match EQ and EQ in general can be. So basically it was able to 1) match the Ultra to sound like II 2) match the Gibson to sound like Ibanez 3) match the vintage channel to sound like a modern channel.

Absolutely agreed, once I took it in that context. But I missed that point at first (and I thought I was pretty savvy..)

I know you are a very gifted player / tone-getter / studio DAW guy / techie who's been doing this kind of stuff a long time. Your demos, clips and contributions to all this are appreciated, big-time!

Ultimately all I'm saying is you could maybe explain (esp in the video) what you did with the Ultra to match tones so closely to the II. To put the comparison in an accurate context. For science!!

The video has no match-eQ, right Clark? Otherwise there would be no point in the video :D

Ofcourse not! :D

Ultimately all I'm saying is you could maybe explain (esp in the video) what you did with the Ultra to match tones so closely to the II. To put the comparison in an accurate context. For science!!

There was no tone matching or match EQ in the video. The matching was only in the clips I made afterwards.

Personally I wouldn't say dynamic range was a big difference between these units. We tried dropping the volume and playing lightly and both units performed extremely well. However it's pretty clear that I seem to have more gain in all comparisons... could be that Ultra has more drive in comparison or simply the my Les Paul is higher output or I play louder... :)
No I am very sure the gain structure is from the unit. The 9.0 Firmware update from Axe fx II makes somethings more crisp and even sounding since the amps are updated/tweaked with more options we can trigger and pick attack possibly adjusted if I remember correctly.. (Which I find a lot of people on the forum are giving ideas already for the Scenes option since their so pleased by this feature and wondering whats in store to come from then.. ) The pickups are just designed to pickup the signal, when realistically the gain was there that whole time for the amplifier or unit, it just is to add the dynamic EQ's to make them more responsive to your playing. (Could involve headroom for which Magnets used) and for your taste of what you prefer, I hate getting into detail. As for the focused sound I hear, I am suggesting that because the inifinity (used them in my Ibanez I have right now and another Ibanez with dizmario's) Has a more compressed sound. The Infinity's which people say it sucks the tone when realistically I don't find that is why. I got an LTD EC-1000 with JB's and I can hear the playing and responsive sides of both focused and wide and the other more compressed If I talked in the most non-confusing way to put it because I hate talking specs. Don't forget the wood too, but that is the contributing factor to the decay is why. Some people on this forum has told me they prefer Ultra for some High-Gain Amps, Which I find hard to believe, but some own the II as well. I guess its all personal preference, I know my friend who owns an Ultra and I played it yesterday and its great, but the II I find has much more options and shaping, and capabilities of effects and changing them and added accessories. And nearly for myself... I find this an all-in-one-unit to do everything while its still not completed becoming the best thing out there. but the Ultra sure is far capable of enough for most average players to do more than enough, until the II gets on Firmware 11 I will not judge entirely or say anything about my II or conclude my opinion; it is a great unit for what it does for me right now.

Last edited:
No I am very sure the gain structure is from the unit. The 9.0 Firmware update from Axe fx II makes somethings more crisp and even sounding since the amps are updated/tweaked with more options we can trigger and pick attack possibly adjusted if I remember correctly.. (Which I find a lot of people on the forum are giving ideas already for the Scenes option since their so pleased by this feature and wondering whats in store to come from then.. ) The pickups are just designed to pickup the signal, when realistically the gain was there that whole time for the amplifier or unit, it just is to add the dynamic EQ's to make them more responsive to your playing (could involve headroom for which Magnets used) and for your taste of what you prefer, I hate getting into detail. As for the focused sound I hear, I am suggesting that because the inifinity (used them in my Ibanez I have right now and another Ibanez with dizmario's) Has a more compressed sound, The Infinity's which people say it sucks the tone when realistically I don't find that is why. I got an LTD EC-1000 with JB's and I can hear the playing and responsive sides of both focused and wide and the other more compressed If I talked in the most non-confusing way to put it because I hate talking specs. Don't forget the wood too, but that is the contributing factor to the decay is why. Some people on this forum has told me they prefer Ultra for some High-Gain Amps, Which I find hard to believe, but some own the II as well. I guess its all personal preference, I know my friend who owns an Ultra and I played it yesterday and its great, but the II I find has much more options and shaping, and capabilities of effects and changing them and added accessories. And nearly for myself... I find this an all-in-one-unit to do everything while its still not completed becoming the best thing out there. but the Ultra sure is far capable of enough for most average players to do more than enough, until the II gets on Firmware 11 I will not judge entirely or say anything about my II or conclude my opinion; it is a great unit for what it does for me right now.

I guess what you're saying is that both units are good.

Edit: just having a go at you! I know you have a lot to say but im having a really hard time reading your post, which is 1 super paragraph

Last edited:
I didn't even listen to the clips, I was just going by the waveforms. I'm used to seeing more waveform variation in the II vs. the Ultra so I'm a bit surprised. The bump in the decay I thought was surely a dead giveaway.

Yup it's a bit misleading. Maybe I should've stated that both clips have a fade out but the match EQ is post fade out so since it has a low end boost it creates that bump in the fade out. The sounds are so close in those clips that at least I don't care much. Cliff, do you have any intel on how to tweak a faster pick attack in the GEN1 units? I would love to tweak that further.

Yup it's a bit misleading. Maybe I should've stated that both clips have a fade out but the match EQ is post fade out so since it has a low end boost it creates that bump in the fade out. The sounds are so close in those clips that at least I don't care much. Cliff, do you have any intel on how to tweak a faster pick attack in the GEN1 units? I would love to tweak that further.

Not really any tweak in the Gen 1 units for that unfortunately. You can try lowering the MV and Supply Sag but I can't think of any others. The II has faster pick attack by design.

I had this eureka-moment about the speed of the pick attack, when I started playing my guitar.. a bit.. faster.. *runs away to hide.

These kinds of comparisons are becoming more and more pointless as they both sound good and different at the same time. All that aside the main topic for the thread is clearly demoed and get's the point across, well done ;)

Back
Top Bottom