Your 'Ultimate' Tone?

mortega76

Fractal Fanatic
I've been doing some TM lately and have been getting some pretty good results with 11.03... not as easy as I remember when we didn't have the offline/live option but non the less still really good.

I would love to know what you folk's 'ultimate' guitar/bass tone would be? Doesn't matter what genre...

For me?

Korn - Ball Tongue

There is just something so aggressive about this track... especially right at the 3:52 mark as in this YT video. And the bass? Fieldy along with Flea are the reason why I was in a band playing bass for five years even though I was a guitarist at heart.

I know most of the stuff out now a days sounds much 'clearer' and such but the guitar and bass tone on this track just oozed awesomeness.

I have so many tonal loves, but for me Ben Moody has amazing tone on the first Evanescence album, though it changes throughout the album.

Then there's my all time favorite band, Within Temptation. Both Robert and Ruud understand tone and layering so damned well (I've talked to them at length about it).

As far as bass and guitar fitting together, IMO, nobody blended better than Type O.

I love me some Amy Lee, best female vocalist in any genre for me! Definitely was a shame that Ben left the band... they were a great writing duo. Damn Sid, that Within Temptation vocalist gives Amy a run for her money though...

I love me some Amy Lee, best female vocalist in any genre for me! Definitely was a shame that Ben left the band... they were a great writing duo. Damn Sid, that Within Temptation vocalist gives Amy a run for her money though...

Dude, I saw WT in St. Paul quite a few years ago and her in-ears went dead. She popped them out and proceeded to sing one of the most vocally intense songs in their library... without a wedge. NAILED it. IMO, Sharon is one of the best vocalists in the world.

Edit: Here's the song I was talking about

Last edited:
One of my favourite tones is that of John Goodsall (Brand X, Fire Merchants) gets really good about 1:40
Of course Percy Jones' bass has a great sound too

There are so many great tones out there, but the ones that spring immediately I mind are (predictably) Metallca's Black Album and John Sykes on 1984. Also Gary Moore's lead sound. A little less obviously, I would be perfectly happy if I sounded like Jorn Viggo Lofstead from Pagan's Mind.

Hey there jlynnb1,

That Memphis May Fire track sounded freakin' crazy good! It reminded me a bit of a cross between Asking Alexandra, Oh, Sleeper and Within the Ruins... really cools. The guitar track sounds like it could have definitely been tracked with an Axe-fx with that infamous TS808. That spot around 0:27 sounds like a great place to possibly tone match.

The intro to Dokken's track would be a great place to TM... same thing with Li'l Jack Horny (which sounds so much like it would have been VH track) and the Dr Z track.

Hey there jlynnb1,

That Memphis May Fire track sounded freakin' crazy good! It reminded me a bit of a cross between Asking Alexandra, Oh, Sleeper and Within the Ruins... really cools. The guitar track sounds like it could have definitely been tracked with an Axe-fx with that infamous TS808. That spot around 0:27 sounds like a great place to possibly tone match.

The intro to Dokken's track would be a great place to TM... same thing with Li'l Jack Horny (which sounds so much like it would have been VH track) and the Dr Z track.

actually, Kellen, the main writer/guitarist is an Axe user...both for recording and live. live he still uses Mesa cabs but his tone is crazy good. I saw them in Houston with For Today, Upon a Burning Body, The Word Alive and Gideon. They were killer. Seeing them next month here in Nashville with Sleeping with Sirens and Breathe Carolina.

also, i think they are on the road with Oh, Sleeper right now, lol.

That was nice Paco... very Santana-ish tone. Is that the ODS amp sim? I can't for the life of me remeber what it's called... that 50k amp Cliff hooked us up with.

Mark Knopflers tone on Speedway At Nazareth.

3:24 onward...... I just love that sound, breaking up, and pushing it to break up more..... gives me shivers.

Back
Top Bottom