Your top 5 tweak tips to get that killer sound out of the Axe Fx 2

These would be my five steps (this is sort of long – I edited it as much as I could):

Have a definite sound in mind – like “Fender Bassman-style light crunch tone” – and dial accordingly.

I usually save the IRs for last. I copy a reference patch up out of my usual performance range, then “clone” it into the next two or three slots and start tweaking with the second (leaving the original for reference).

On overdriven patches, I often use Transformer Match to fine-tune tone and dynamics. If a patch sounds good but has a bit too much drive, I will take TM down to 0.7 – that number seems to work to give me what I want.

I want each pickup position (mainly a Strat player) to sound distinct one from another, even the high-gain patches. I have often rejected certain amps for that reason alone, even if it sounds really good with the bridge pickup. But I’m not writing patches just for one song – that would change things for me too.

Finally, I tweak fairly loud using a powered PA speaker (we run direct to FOH – this simulates that). Then I play along with various tracks to see how the new patch sits in the mix and how it feels dynamically as I play. This almost always brings about more tweaking, but it speaks to me as to how it will come across at the gig. And I do take frequent ear breaks – the ear will lie after longer sessions. Usually I’ll come back the next day and start where I left off.

1. I tweak MV then Gain.
2. TMB Presense
3. In advanced, Low and High cut if needed
4. Damping and Transformer match
5. Revisit IR to either tweak or change completely.

I used to mess with the advanced parameters a lot to get where I wanted to go. Now, the stock settings just sound so right to me that once I get the gain and EQ right, I'm tickled by what I'm hearing. Must admit, I still go in and twiddle with the advanced stuff only because it's there and I love to see what stuff does. But I don't feel it's necessary to get a freakin amazing tone.

Try not to use too much gate or compression as these can really kill your tone/dynamics.
Play around with low cut/high cut filters/shelving eqs

Summary:
If it's easy, you've selected the right amp/cab and are probably playing right guitar/pickup type for the tone you're chasing.
If it's hard, it's likely the opposite of the above sentence.

And remember, dialing tone is an art, not a science, and some people have the talent/ears/experience to pull it off. Some don't.

So right here.

There ARE NO hard and fast rules. What works with one amp is absolutely not guaranteed to work with another (even of similar types.) There are at least 20 things I check and tweak per amp/guitar combo...at LEAST. But Eric is absolutely right in that if it's not *close* when you have just the amp/cab, then I'd suggest moving on to another cab/amp. The good news is that once you hone in on what that guitar needs (i.e. higher input, likes more preamp gain, whatever), it gets easier as time goes on.

I start with a preset I like, and then work on the tweaking the things I'd like to improve. A lot of people use small tweaks but I don't do that. I remember the original setting of what I want to tweak, and then use extreme (all the way up, all the way down) tweakage so I can hear what that parameter is doing to the sound. Helps me dial in what I want. Knowing what amps sound good for what tones helps too. Before I mess too much, I listen to the preset and try different cabs with it. Makes a huge difference. Once I get pretty close to what I am looking for, then I do the micro tweaks. Experimenting with the extreme tweaks helps me understand what the little tweaks are going to do.

Sorry I can't just say turn this and do that, because each amp/cab combination behaves so differently. My go to lead tone I built myself from scratch. I use a combination of the Silver Jubilee and Two Stone. If I recall, I use a 4x12 cab on the Jubilee and the 8" oval on the Two Stone. Probably sounds strange to many here, but the tone is thick, and tight on the bottom, creamy and complex in the mids, and sings on the highs. Works for me.. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

I go for light breakup about 90% of the time, and the top 5 controls I find myself reaching for are the transformer match, the bright switch, compression, presence, and the input trim. Don't underestimate the power of the transformer match knob. It does a lot!

Every now and then I fire up my favorite reference amps - dsl w/4x12, and triaxis, and jmp-1 thru a VHT2502- where I have established tones that I know sound great live. This is mainly to check things are in the ballpark. Why use Axe-fx if I already have established tones with the old gear? Ans. is portability and flexibility.

Lately I found I have just been just using the v11 amp presets stock without much tweaking. They are good to go for the most part - just use guitar volume knob to tweak.

Man everybody is going to have their own "way" of getting the tone their after, but I'll echo what a lot of people have already pointed out:

Start with an amp in the ballpark of what you are looking for.
Pick the "right" IR for your amp choice.

Without these two in proper order you might as well just hit the highway
Play with stock settings.

For me, I generally get pretty stomping tones just by doing these simple steps, and changing two settings that are crucial to getting what I like:

1. Motor Drive in cab block - anywhere from 1.5-5 depending upon IR
2. Thunk parameter in amp block - dial to taste

On some amps I may increase dynamic presence if I feel it's necessary, but mostly I don't fiddle with too many advanced controls. I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't increase pick attack on some of my more heavily modulated cleans - that'll be an experiment for today, actually.

The only other thing I will say is when you are first starting just try and stop every 15-20 minutes and walk away. FW 11 has made the process of dialing tones a HELL of a lot easier, but ear fatigue still sets in after a while, and then you just start making bad decisions. Then it's also just a matter of making decisions for yourself. For example - for the first 1.5 years of owning the Axe-fx II, I thought that modern high gain tones pretty much HAD to have a drive in front of the amp as a boost in order to sound good/fit in the mix. While this may have been the case with earlier FW, as the unit developed I fiddled and fiddled, but never found a truly "happy place" until I realized all of the tones I liked from the artists that I enjoy... don't use a drive in front of the amp.

And that's the final point with this awesome kit - once you've figured out your "thing", you've got to remember that there are absolutely no rules when it comes to the Axe-fx II. Almost everything about your setup can be completely altered. You can modify things in the amp with the twist of a dial that would risk amp destruction and personal electrocution if you were bumming around in your home with a tube amp. You can set up synth patches with your guitar parallel to or controlling an amp, change tube bias, types, heck - even create an entirely new amp by altering one of the models enough... And if you don't like what you've done you can just... reset everything and start again! SO WICKED!

Back
Top Bottom