Your opinion please?

smd24fan

Hey all in Fractal World! I was wondering something and I'm hoping you could help me out. I was just curious how everyone uses their Global EQ? If this has been addressed before, please point me to the thread and I would be grateful! I was playing the other night and was comparing my EVH 5150III Red channel(Actual Amp) to my 5150III Red patch that I created on the AxeII. I noticed that the Axe FX II patch, while sounding VERY similar, did sound a little compressed and not as "open" as the real amp. I think this may be a function of the Global EQ, perhaps I'm using too much of a "V" curve. Does anyone have any thoughts at all on this? Should my Global EQ be flat and only use the EQ in the amp block? Now, mind you, I'm probably not using the best cab IR for this amp. I believe I'm using a V30/G12H-75 mix cab IR. I'm running FRFR into a QSC K12 active monitor. If I sound ignorant on this, I may just be! LOL! I'm certainly no expert on the subject matter and was hoping someone might have some input. Thanks, and Happy Holidays everyone!

IMHO, it's best to leave Global EQ flat and get your sound via shaping Amp & Cab blocks

I tend to view Global EQ as a useful tool when you need to correct / sweeten your tone in varying environments, rather than using at a key component to begin with. There is no dead-set right or wrong way of course, but chasing tails and relying on sticking plasters comes to mind if you're not starting with a good base :)

Thanks guys! Flattened out the EQ and giving it a run. Sounds really good still, just some minor tweaks to my amp tone stack controls.

How are you "comparing". Is the real amp in isolation into a cabinet with mic and preamp?

I do use the global EQ. Because of having two signals from outputs 1&2 I find I need to make different corrections to them both. So the same presets work in both FRFR and direct to amp and cab. Not sure if it compresses the signal in any way though, but I don't own any of the real amps to compare anyway.

How are you "comparing". Is the real amp in isolation into a cabinet with mic and preamp?

Nope, no microphone at all. Just one rig versus the other straight up! I realize in this type of scenario they will surely be different. Think I was just EQ'ing too much on the Axe II. Flattened out the Master EQ and it feels much less "boxy" to me now. I'm just amazed at how close they are, even in this scenario! You do just amazing things Cliff! Thanks and Merry Christmas to you!

Nope, no microphone at all. Just one rig versus the other straight up! I realize in this type of scenario they will surely be different. Think I was just EQ'ing too much on the Axe II. Flattened out the Master EQ and it feels much less "boxy" to me now. I'm just amazed at how close they are, even in this scenario! You do just amazing things Cliff! Thanks and Merry Christmas to you!

That's a tough way to compare. In one case you are listening to the far-field response of the speaker. In the other case you are listening to the near field (close mic'd). The bottom-line is not to over-think things. Just set the knobs like you would on the real amp and then pick a speaker and mic. That's what I do. I leave all my EQ's flat. I have very accurate monitors though.

The IR is everything. The amp algorithms are so accurate now that I doubt anyone could pick the real amp vs. the model in a double-blind test. The IR is a drastic EQ though so picking the right one is essential.

That's a tough way to compare. In one case you are listening to the far-field response of the speaker. In the other case you are listening to the near field (close mic'd). The bottom-line is not to over-think things. Just set the knobs like you would on the real amp and then pick a speaker and mic. That's what I do. I leave all my EQ's flat. I have very accurate monitors though.

The IR is everything. The amp algorithms are so accurate now that I doubt anyone could pick the real amp vs. the model in a double-blind test. The IR is a drastic EQ though so picking the right one is essential.

Thanks so much for your time and response Cliff, needless to say I feel a lot smarter right now!! I have much to learn!

Back
Top Bottom