Your comp setting that doesn't kill your tone (and playing)?

Hhuent

Experienced
never to late to learn a thing or two. Since being a Fractal user I altered my opinion on compressors. Before, I hated most compressor pedals that sucked my tone, dynamics etc. Then I used a comp block for the first time, left the settings untouched and realized, woowwww, I was missing out big time (can you say that? Sorry for my English).
Now, what are your favorite settings to apply the comp and still have good dynamics, pick attack but improved sustain? So it sounds like improving your sound instead of an effect?
- no extra block, just use the amps comp page?
- if using a block: do you prefer the cpu hungry studio or the pedal version? Can you hear the difference?
- which settings do you like most for clean and mid OD. Hi gain is sure enough a completely different situation...

I am away from my Ax8 the next few days and offline most of the time, but I would love to give my input on this.

Generally, if you want gentle and transparent compression, you want slow attack times 10-30ms, and I would choose release around 100-300 ms.
Use the gain reduction meter on the Ax8 to see hoe much GR, you are getting and adjust threahold/sustain to taste.

I personally prefer more aggressive settings in my comp. And I usually use pedal comp 1

never to late to learn a thing or two. Since being a Fractal user I altered my opinion on compressors. Before, I hated most compressor pedals that sucked my tone, dynamics etc. Then I used a comp block for the first time, left the settings untouched and realized, woowwww, I was missing out big time (can you say that? Sorry for my English).
Now, what are your favorite settings to apply the comp and still have good dynamics, pick attack but improved sustain? So it sounds like improving your sound instead of an effect?
- no extra block, just use the amps comp page?
- if using a block: do you prefer the cpu hungry studio or the pedal version? Can you hear the difference?
- which settings do you like most for clean and mid OD. Hi gain is sure enough a completely different situation...

I use the output comp in the amp block. I like it because I can use the volume knob on my guitar to clean up the sound without lowering the volume too much, if at all. I don't use it all of the time but when I do I'll set it to 1 or 1.5 in most cases. My maximum would be around 2. I haven't tried to change the pick attack but I'd probably try to do it from the amp block first.

I have just discovered the comp on hte amp block. Settings are around 1.8. I also tweak Preamp Dynamics, Pick Attack and Character just a bit. Type is set to Feedback. I normally use this for my solo tone. It seems to help the guitar sing.

I have just discovered the comp on hte amp block. Settings are around 1.8. I also tweak Preamp Dynamics, Pick Attack and Character just a bit. Type is set to Feedback. I normally use this for my solo tone. It seems to help the guitar sing.

Dynamics, pick attack, character set to ... (Feel free to insert a figure)?
Thanks mmpete.

You guys using them consistently, is it for clean, dirt, high gain, etc? Across the board?

I've generally been too lazy to try and figure out compressors in my tone and just use them on the DAW side occasionally (and lightly) if it seems needed. I have on occasion found a setting I liked, mostly for cleans but sometimes high gain, but I usually wind up not sticking with it.

Dynamics, pick attack, character set to ... (Feel free to insert a figure)?
Thanks mmpete.

This bunch of settings was off Friedman HBE patch that I've been playing around with (as is working on). I looked at some other lead patches that I have and the setting are all a bit different on each one (the other patches being Matchbox D30, and one of the mesa models).

I have only used the HBE at playing volume with this setup and the guys in the band decided it sound so nice that we needed an extra chorus at the end of the song so I could play some more lead. I was a happy chappy that night! Anyhow, here are the settings for the HBE patch.

Top Row
Char Type : Peaking (although I normally have Dynamic on my other patches and not really sure I can tell the difference)
Char Freq : 1299 (1000 - 1300 depending on amp and sound)
Char Q : .100 (default of .707 on my other patches)
Char Amt : 1.03
Dyn Pres : 0.89
Dyn depth : .47
Preamp CF Time : 3.20

Bottom Row
Comp Type : Feedback
Output Comp : 1.87
Comp Thresh : -30dB
Comp Clarity : 10 ( Other patches use around 4-7)
Preamp Dyn : 1.07
Pick Attack : 8.2
Preamp CF Ration : 0.450

The actual amp settings I have for this are;

Amp model : Friedman HBE V1

Top Row
Input Drive : 2.16
Bass : 3.33
Mid : 6.36
Treb : 5.50
Bright : 2.36 dB
Presence : 5.92
Depth : 5.50
Master Vol : 4.00

Bottom Row
Input Trim : 0.73 -> 1.00 (using expression pedal)
Boot : off
Cut : off
Fat : On
Bricht Sw : off
Bright Cap -
Saturation Switch : Ideal
Saturation drive : 1.875
Master Vol Trim : 1.000

Level, Balance, Input Select and Bypass - set to taste.

I am trying to figure out a metalcore sound for my compressor. The reason I want to use a compression is because I am using the Intelligent Gate at low settings to cut feedback followed by a compressor which leads to my Drv Block and another Gate at higher threshold settngs (to give short breaks between fast chugs). The goal Im trying to get at is long sustain to fight the gates i have set up in the axe fX BUT im not sure how to set the compressor. I don't know what the purpose of the threshold, attack, release and the hold. can someone help me.

thanks

You guys using them consistently, is it for clean, dirt, high gain, etc? Across the board?
FX8 user lurking here but thought I'd answer since I use compression a bit differently. I use single channel amps with a decent amount of gain so if I need a clean tone, I have to roll off the volume on the guitar. The downside is I lose too much volume in most cases. A compressor retains most of the volume for me, almost turning the guitar's volume control into a gain control.

Sorry for the late Thank You - had a helluva lot of work to do and had no time to play guitar or hang out at this forum.
Will try what you suggested - thanks indeed!

Back
Top Bottom