Your 1st 5 Concerts

Ten times…wish it were more. The ZooTV concert in 92 was awesome. Of course seeing them walk out of a disco ball lemon was something else! Lol
closest I got so far was in Montreal one day - they had this 3D holographic U2 concert film type thing - didn't expect much initially but was quite impressed with it after all

closest I got so far was in Montreal one day - they had this 3D holographic U2 concert film type thing - didn't expect much initially but was quite impressed with it after all

I saw U2 in Montreal during the 360 tour, with the ‘claw’. The concert was at the old horse race track. With nothing for the sound to reverberate off of, like Rogers Centre, the sound was amazing. It was so hot that day, waiting for the show to start. Then after the final note, this massive storm came through with high winds, heavy rain and lightning. I thought for sure the temporary bleachers were going to blow over. It took forever to get out because for some stupid reason, they would only let thousands of people leave through one double gate. We were soaked and freezing by the time we made it back to the car. Worth it though.

I saw the 3D show in Toronto. It was beyond my expectations. It was cool watching Edge play, it felt like you were on stage with him.

Top row in the pic below - Journey, Van Halen, The Police, The British Are Coming (Page, Beck, Clapton, etc.), Ozzy.

15-25 are there as well, although I'm missing a Metheny (First Circle) and a Nuge (went for a girl, not really a Nuge fan, but Michael Schenker opened and was awesome) and maybe a few others I've forgotten. I have most of my stubs, though.

View attachment 98656
Great list. And if you add up the cost of them, you could probably cover Live Nation's service fee in 2022!!

Peter, Paul & Mary -- Richmond 1969 (I was 9)
Cat Stevens -- Williamsburg 1976 (they filmed this performance -- very cool that I can still rewatch the show on DVD)
Lynyrd Skynyrd -- Hampton 1976 (I learned how people can be helpless and crushed by a crowd)
Aerosmith -- Norfolk 1977 (Joe Perry wore a "May the Force Be With You" button)
Black Sabbath -- Norfolk 1978 (Van Halen opened. Just... wow. Ozzie was wasted.)

Oh lord. I grew up in Austin, Texas where we had fake ID’s in high school so we could get into clubs to see live music. And we went to everything big that came to town.

1) 1980/81 Van Halen (I think fair warning tour)
2) 1982ish - either petty and hb’s or the police or the cars
3) 1982ish was either Devo or U2 (war tour) or Van Halen again.
4) 82/83 Kinks or Cheap Trick or Joan Jett
5) 83 Journey or. - AC/dc. Loudest show I’ve ever been to.

Back then Stones, queen, rush and only a couple others never came to Austin that I remember.

Damn. Can’t remember more. My mom tossed all my ticket stubs long ago.

Last edited:
Peter, Paul & Mary -- Richmond 1969 (I was 9)
Cat Stevens -- Williamsburg 1976 (they filmed this performance -- very cool that I can still rewatch the show on DVD)
Lynyrd Skynyrd -- Hampton 1976 (I learned how people can be helpless and crushed by a crowd)
Aerosmith -- Norfolk 1977 (Joe Perry wore a "May the Force Be With You" button)
Black Sabbath -- Norfolk 1978 (Van Halen opened. Just... wow. Ozzie was wasted.)
+1 about crowd crush - exiting a Stones stadium concert from field seating we got crushed when the large crowd was inexplicably routed down a wall lined lane and then through a relatively narrow set of exit doors. Quite scary when you realize that if you were to fall to the ground somehow, even patially, you would not be able to get up and the crowd mass would continue over you. Was pretty shaken after, and livid mad ir about how the exit was handled by organizers.

Last edited:
Ten times…wish it were more. The ZooTV concert in 92 was awesome. Of course seeing them walk out of a disco ball lemon was something else! Lol
I think for me it’s been 8:
War (Austin), Unforgettable Fire (Austin), Joshua Tree (Fort Worth’s Tarrant County Convention Center), ZooTv 3 times (twice in Dallas, one in Wash DC), Vertigo tour (Mexico City Estadio Azteca ❤️), 360 tour 2 times (Dallas and Norman, OK).
I guess that’s 9. My regrets: blowing off PopMart and Elevation tours. What was I thinking?

Last edited:
Oh yeah, the sound of that concert!! I had forgotten how they used surround; a mini PA at the back and sides of the arena/stadium. When that airplane sound came through, you just instinctively looked up because it sounded so real, panning from the back, thru the sides, then to the front. Like I said, THE best concert I'd ever been to, the sound and lights being unmatched at the time. It wasn't until I saw Muse's latest that I could say any other concert was better.

Yeah man!

Back in the 70’s they were working with or funding the development of Q-Sound, I can’t remember the specifics, but they had these custom mixers made that had joysticks on them to pan sound from speaker to speaker. Just another thing that left some confusion behind, going to so many concerts mixed mono when Floyd was f’n doing surround sound in a stadium. :D

If you get the chance, definitely check out PULSE on a good 5.1 system and make sure the bass is cranked up a bit. I don’t know what it was like in ‘88, but like I said, they did an amazing job at recreating the sound of the ‘94 tour with that mix. Just like a song or scent will bring you back to a certain time, in this case it was the mix alone that did it.

Off topic, but I just heard Taylor Hawkins from the Foo Fighters died…..what the fuuuuuck….

Before making this list I had to go do some research on the internet because I only clearly remembered the year of the first one

1991: Monsters of rock headlining Metallica, this is where it all started…my first concert as an 18 year old kid (damn…I’m getting old)
1992: Guns ‘n Roses, this was my first big stadium concert
1992: Metallica
1993: Metallica
1993: Guns ‘n Roses

Saw some other big names and did some festivals over the year. Needless to say I am a big Metallica fan, I went to most of the concerts they played over here in the Netherlands in the last 30 years. My next one will be Rock Werchter this summer, looking forward to it!

I think for me it’s been 8:
War (Austin), Unforgettable Fire (Austin), Joshua Tree (Fort Worth’s Tarrant County Convention Center), ZooTv 3 times (twice in Dallas, one in Wash DC), Vertigo tour (Mexico City Estadio Azteca ❤️), 360 tour 2 times (Dallas and Norman, OK).
I guess that’s 9. My regrets: blowing off PopMart and Elevation tours. What was I thinking?

Oh wow...War, UF and JT, that must have been something to see. PopMart and Elevation were really good. The version of The Fly on the Elevation tour is something else.

Regretfully, I missed the early tours and the Vertigo tour. I did get to see JT15 though and it was incredible.

I think a lot of people missed PopMart because it was so different. Every time U2 comes out with an album, as a fan, you listen to it and say to yourself, what the hell is this, it's not U2. Then each time you listen to the new songs and the new album, it gets better and better every time. JT to Zoo is a prime example, same with PopMart. Now, all these years later, you really appreciate how good those albums are.

One thing is for sure, you get your money's worth at a U2 concert. They don't accept anything but perfection. In the 10 shows I've seen, Edge never missed a single note and neither did any of the other members of the band. I know there's a few videos of them messing up, but when you think of the thousands of shows they've done, it's pretty incredible. When I saw them in Toronto, I was close enough that I could read Edge's lips...'I can't F'n hear', as he looked at Dallas. I guess his IEM wasn't working, but Edge kept playing as Dallas changed his IEM receiver. lol

Damn you all have GREAT memory capacity lol. My first was Aerosmith on the Permanent Vacation tour with Dokken opening. After that I have no clue. Lol

1) Peter, Paul and Mary. Mid Sixties. My big sister dragged me to it, but I really enjoyed it.
2) Grand Funk Railroad, 1970 Maryland State College. This concert inspired me to play lead guitar and to grow my hair long. The opening act was an English version of Chicago named IF. They were good.
3) J. Geils Band. Can you say Party? The opening act was supposed to be Blue Oyster Cult, but they cancelled and a band no one heard of named Little Feat replaced them.
4) Grand Funk Railroad again, Freddie King opened for them which led to the "up all night with Freddie King" line in We're An American Band.
5) Jefferson Starship / Jeff Beck with Jan Hammer. What an amazing night of music. Jeff played for over an hour and Starship played for three. I was on a date with the girl I would marry. She was a huge Grace Slick fan and I was a huge Jeff Beck fan. There was bonding.

I can't remember the 1st 5. (child of the 60-70s). But these are the shows I'll remember forever.
Yes - Going for the One tour - Boston Garden
ELP - Welcome Back my Friends tour - Boston Garden
Deep Purple - Perfect Strangers - Providence Civic Center
Van Halen's 1st headline tour at the Orpheum in Boston, 2nd record hadn't been released , but they played a ton of it. Eddie was still playing a lot of his solos with his back to the crowd.
Styx - Grand Illusion at the Orpheum, prior to that album going crazy.
Rossington Collins Band Debut tour - Orpheum Boston, played Freebird as an encore with a spotlight on an empty mic.
Bowie - Glass Spyder tour at Sullivan Stadium w/Frampton as a guitarist
Rush Moving Pictures tour -Orpheum Boston
Black Crowes - Southern Harmonies tour -Orpheum Boston(see a common theme)
Iron Maiden - the return of Bruce tour, (1998 maybe, 100 degrees inside the Orpheum as their AC broke on the hottest night of that summer. I took my 11yo son for his 1st concert this night.

Too many more to speak of,

Last edited:
I can't remember the 1st 5. (child of the 60-70s). But these are the shows I'll remember forever.
Yes - Going for the One tour - Boston Garden
ELP - Welcome Back my Friends tour - Boston Garden
Deep Purple - Perfect Strangers - Providence Civic Center
Van Halen's 1st headline tour at the Orpheum in Boston, 2nd record hadn't been released , but they played a ton of it. Eddie was still playing a lot of his solos with his back to the crowd.
Styx - Grand Illusion at the Orpheum, prior to that album going crazy.
Rossington Collins Band Debut tour - Orpheum Boston, played Freebird as an encore with a spotlight on an empty mic.
Bowie - Glass Spyder tour at Sullivan Stadium w/Frampton as a guitarist
Rush Moving Pictures tour -Orpheum Boston
Black Crowes - Southern Harmonies tour -Orpheum Boston(see a common theme)
Iron Maiden - the return of Bruce tour, (98 maybe, 100 degree inside the Orpheum as their AC broke on the hottest night of that summer. I took my 11yo son for his 1st concert this night.

Too many more to speak of,
Attended a few Styx shows - always awesome - 1st was Pieces of 8 if I recall - Love the early Styx - Equinox my fav

Attended a few Styx shows - always awesome - 1st was Pieces of 8 if I recall - Love the early Styx - Equinox my fav
funny about VH - seen 4x 80,84,93ish,2005-6 . Was fanatical about them early on but the 1st 2 shows I caught with DLR were so ear piercingly loud I did not find it enjoyable - 93 with Sammy was good but we had marginal seats (Montreal Forum). Finally, the last show was fantastic - sound was great, good seats on Ed's side - Ed put on an awesome show. DLR had a good night. 👍👍 . Wolf was great but I kinda missed the MA vocals.

Back
Top Bottom