Your 1st 5 Concerts

Sure would have been great to see bands like Prism, April Wine and the Guess Who, back in their heyday! I do remember seeing them on the Juno awards, back in the mid 70's, but I was only 10-11 years old then and my dad wasn't in to that kind of music, so I had no one to take me. Rush is another band that traveled around northern Ontario playing small venues and high-schools. They played at high-schools in Cochrane and Kirkland Lake, in the early 70's.
ya - also remember hearing of Rush playing around here at high schools - I've posted this vid link here and there on this forum before - if u have not seen it and are an avid Rush fan, it's pure gold

I’m really hoping Gilmour does one more tour before calling it quits. I didn’t get the chance to see him on either of his past tours.
Even though when I saw Pink Floyd it was without Waters (MLOR- saw both the RFK show, and, I believe it was their opening show of the tour, at Capitol Center, first of four nights!), it was absolutely THE best blend of sound and light! The tone David Gilmour got from his strat was otherworldly! And he had his mix LOUD when he solo'd, which was fine by me.
Fun fact: That performance was SO LARGE (one truck just to carry the floors for the stage!) that it took so long to set up, that they toured with TWO identical shows, leap-frogging across the world!
And Floyd sold out the first 2 of the 4 nights at the Capitol Center, but Waters didn't sell out his one.
That was my best concert.

Oh, and the "Pig" got stuck as it was inflating up in the rafters, and everyone was looking up, watching the crew try to kick it out of its confines. And then it suddenly freed itself, and it was like 10,000 people suddenly fell back in amazement. Quite an experience when you're tripping! :fearscream: I can still see those laser-beam eyes!

:D

My uncle grew up a HUGE Joe Perry fan and had every attempt to catch Aerosmith screwed up by something. He finally scores tickets to a show in Portland, ME, doesn’t catch wind that Perry has left the band and is wondering WTF is going on when he sees some other guy there, only to be followed by Tyler coming out onstage and passing out immediately.

Tyler wrote about that show in his autobiography, I think it might have been in Walk This Way as well, there’s also a write-up about it here- https://wblm.com/blimp-time-hop-79-aerosmith-show-cut-short-at-cccc/

Man, that sucks for your Uncle. Back in the day there was no way to know ahead of time, was there?

Aerosmith was the worst live act I have seen. Motley and Yngwie are up there, too. Steven passed out
on stage in the intro to Dream On after stumbling out there with the assistance of a roadie. They then
took a break while the audience booed, and I think they tried to figure out if they could keep going.
They couldn't. So Ted and his crew set all of his shit up and played for another hour.

Looking back I wonder if Ted had to do that on more than a few occasions. :)

Cobo! Never been there, but I have a strong memory of
it due to staring at the inside sleeve of Kiss Alive 1 for many hours as a teen while playing the grooves
off that album and prior to seeing any live concert for the first time. When Cobo Hall is mentioned, my brain immediately recalls those album sleeve images.

View attachment 98581

Edit: Pondered a few times back in the day: what is the guy sitting to the right of the banner thinking? - is he wishing he'd attended the show with someone else?

My younger brother had his High School graduation at Cobo Hall. 1500+ in his class.

I felt like we waited 4 hours for his name to be called so he could walk across the stage
and get his diploma. :)

BTO / Guess Who were of the first albums I owned but never saw BTO till the mid90s on parliament hill- Canada day. 1st album! - could be another lounge thread lol! - my grandmother bought me my 1st at Beamish 1970!

Not Fragile was our 1st record. Me and my brother. We played that disc a lot. I still listen to BTO occasionally.

1. Ozzy with RR on the Diary tour
2- 5 is a blur... I remember the bands but not in order and who was opening for who.
Scorpions
Iron Maiden
Wasp (definitely an opener)
Queensryche
Van Hagar

Even though when I saw Pink Floyd it was without Waters (MLOR- saw both the RFK show, and, I believe it was their opening show of the tour, at Capitol Center, first of four nights!), it was absolutely THE best blend of sound and light! The tone David Gilmour got from his strat was otherworldly! And he had his mix LOUD when he solo'd, which was fine by me.
Fun fact: That performance was SO LARGE (one truck just to carry the floors for the stage!) that it took so long to set up, that they toured with TWO identical shows, leap-frogging across the world!
And Floyd sold out the first 2 of the 4 nights at the Capitol Center, but Waters didn't sell out his one.
That was my best concert.

Oh, and the "Pig" got stuck as it was inflating up in the rafters, and everyone was looking up, watching the crew try to kick it out of its confines. And then it suddenly freed itself, and it was like 10,000 people suddenly fell back in amazement. Quite an experience when you're tripping! :fearscream: I can still see those laser-beam eyes!

Hahahaha my dad caught both the ‘88 shows in Mass, on the 2nd night one of the wires for the pig snapped and it dipped into the audience, who began pulling it down as one of the cable operators held on for dear life while bouncing back and forth like a buoy in a storm. :D

What’s crazier than having two stages to leap frog on the MLOR tour, they had 3 stages for the Division Bell tour that were doing the same thing. The incident above is also why they stuck the pigs on the side of the stage. Even crazier, they paid around $100K for this one flying lighting rig that was a huge amalgamation of truss and lights, during rehearsals no one onstage felt comfortable underneath it hovering above their heads, looking like it was going to come down, so they scrapped it and if I remember right, gave them away for free. Same thing with the actual Divison Bell heads; they ended up on the roof of the EMI building only to be tossed in the trash at one point. Gilmour eventually got a hold of them and they’re in his barn now.

I’ve seen PULSE tripping balls many times, it’s part of ritual for me, I couldn’t imagine what it’d be like actually being there tripping balls. They nailed the 5.1 mix so well on that DVD that the first time I heard it, the low end was actually spot on with what was happening at the concert. You wouldn’t think there’d be a lot of sub movement at a Floyd show but hahahaha….not the case. First time I heard it on a good 5.1 system I was taken right back to being at the show. And yep, Gilmour was fucking CRANKED through the PA. It was entirely what made me say “Holy shit, I need to play guitar”

ELP - Brain Salad Surgery
Who - Quadrophenia
Boston- First Album
Jethro Tull- Warchild
Van Halen - Van Halen II Tour

I'm not sure that's the right order after the first two as it was EONs ago as these were from 75-79

I remember the very first concert I went to was Missouri at the Tower Ball Room in Pittsburg Ks…..It was right around ‘83, and I got in
without being carded, as I was only 17 and in town visiting my older cousin. We made the mistake of choosing the table right in front of
a Marshall 4x12…….man it was fun but the ears were ringing after that show!

I know the second one was Van Halen in ‘84 at Kemper Arena….we sat eye level with Eddie on his side of the stage….bad ass!

I couldn’t tell you after that, as I saw a lot of shows, and it’s kind of a blur lol.

Hahahaha my dad caught both the ‘88 shows in Mass, on the 2nd night one of the wires for the pig snapped and it dipped into the audience, who began pulling it down as one of the cable operators held on for dear life while bouncing back and forth like a buoy in a storm. :D

What’s crazier than having two stages to leap frog on the MLOR tour, they had 3 stages for the Division Bell tour that were doing the same thing. The incident above is also why they stuck the pigs on the side of the stage. Even crazier, they paid around $100K for this one flying lighting rig that was a huge amalgamation of truss and lights, during rehearsals no one onstage felt comfortable underneath it hovering above their heads, looking like it was going to come down, so they scrapped it and if I remember right, gave them away for free. Same thing with the actual Divison Bell heads; they ended up on the roof of the EMI building only to be tossed in the trash at one point. Gilmour eventually got a hold of them and they’re in his barn now.

I’ve seen PULSE tripping balls many times, it’s part of ritual for me, I couldn’t imagine what it’d be like actually being there tripping balls. They nailed the 5.1 mix so well on that DVD that the first time I heard it, the low end was actually spot on with what was happening at the concert. You wouldn’t think there’d be a lot of sub movement at a Floyd show but hahahaha….not the case. First time I heard it on a good 5.1 system I was taken right back to being at the show. And yep, Gilmour was fucking CRANKED through the PA. It was entirely what made me say “Holy shit, I need to play guitar”
Oh yeah, the sound of that concert!! I had forgotten how they used surround; a mini PA at the back and sides of the arena/stadium. When that airplane sound came through, you just instinctively looked up because it sounded so real, panning from the back, thru the sides, then to the front. Like I said, THE best concert I'd ever been to, the sound and lights being unmatched at the time. It wasn't until I saw Muse's latest that I could say any other concert was better.

Top row in the pic below - Journey, Van Halen, The Police, The British Are Coming (Page, Beck, Clapton, etc.), Ozzy.

15-25 are there as well, although I'm missing a Metheny (First Circle) and a Nuge (went for a girl, not really a Nuge fan, but Michael Schenker opened and was awesome) and maybe a few others I've forgotten. I have most of my stubs, though.

IMG_5774.JPEG

Last edited:
Top row in the pic below - Journey, Van Halen, The Police, The British Are Coming (Page, Beck, Clapton, etc.), Ozzy.

15-25 are there as well, although I'm missing a Metheny (First Circle) and a Nuge (went for a girl, not really a Nuge fan, but Michael Schenker opened and was awesome) and maybe a few others I've forgotten. I have most of my stubs, though.

View attachment 98656
nice! wish I'd kept my stubs

Back
Top Bottom