You 'progressive' kids might do well to take notes from this.....

@Marrafat: that vid you linked is like stuff I've heard from probably five decades before that. I don't care for any of it.

You are correct and that's fine, it wasn't supposed to be connected to the video you posted it was just if anyone else hadn't heard it and liked it same as me.

You are correct and that's fine, it wasn't supposed to be connected to the video you posted it was just if anyone else hadn't heard it and liked it same as me.

It was really kind of a side-trek. That which you posted wasn't about music.

At what point does Progressive become Avant-Garde?

The latter isn't in my working vocabulary. I recommend the same to all else.

Loquenau, I think you hit the nail on the head with one of your earlier posts, but perhaps you didn't take it far enough. Definitions and opinions regarding music are arbitrary. They are also learned and subjective.

That said, I really enjoyed the piece! Thanks for sharing.

I'm glad you liked it. I happen to like it, too, but that's not relevant to the discussion.

I was very interested in your discussion - but quickly noted you took the point out of context. I said, " 'in the field' ", meaning popular usage. Technical usage is not arbitrary. Yet again, as popular usage is kind of ridiculous, I think people shouldn't use terms they don't understand. And, closing the net, following your line of reason, using such terms is unnecessary to the spirit of the music. Which refers back to the point previous.

And finally, we're back to the main point - that the music I posted has a cornucopia of suggestions to consider and reap from.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of modern art music. A BIG. BIG. FAN. Here's the guy who actually taught me how to write music.

The piece that Loc posted actually has great motivic development with use of incredible variation, and busted out a lot of different composition techniques. I truly believe we'd probably be better off, musically, if people had an in depth understanding of composition.

That said, Loc, you're really barking up the wrong tree here trying to convince a bunch of rock dudes that modern art music is where it's at. No, by comparison to living classical composers, "progressive metal" is not very progressive at all, but it's still got it's merits, in my little opinion. It sounds great! And it's fun!

Well kids, proof you can actually go too far...

is it actually possible for prog to go too far??
I thought that was the whole point..
trying new / different things in interesting and unusual ways..
and with a total disregard for fashion or trend..

for me, it's that whole 'remove / ignore / tear down the barriers' thing that makes prog such an expansive place in which to live [in a creative sense]..
personally I can think of nothing worse than having your creativity bound, gagged and chained down by conventions or stylistic rules..

I honestly can't tell if this is a troll or not. If it isn't then this thread is heading in a dangerous direction, so if you'll allow me, I'd like to humbly attempt to "right" its course.

Loquenau, I think you hit the nail on the head with one of your earlier posts, but perhaps you didn't take it far enough. Definitions and opinions regarding music are arbitrary. They are also learned and subjective.

With this in mind, your own opinion regarding what constitutes "progress" holds water no more nor less than any other subjective opinion regarding this incredible experience we call music. Others have expressed their opinions, and those are also fantastic opportunities to view music in a different light. The only absolute truth in music, as I see it, is that it either makes you feel something, or it doesn't.

Any other arguments (as this looks to be swiftly descending to) pertaining to musical opinion reside alongside religious debate and the Nazi incursion into Russian winter... unwinnable, uncouth, and soaked in ego.

That said, I really enjoyed the piece! Thanks for sharing.

Very well said

Back
Top Bottom