You 'progressive' kids might do well to take notes from this.....

Rhythmically it's very interesting, both in the driving and overlapping parts, and the percussion accents, which are where you would hear kick/crashes. Basically, a lot of people think Periphery and stuff are 'progressive', and they're not really. Learning from complex music like this, they could be, though.

Umm... ok I was waiting for some chewy guitar chops to start and all I heard was what sounded like a sound track to some kind of insect documentary.

That's only because TV is where you first heard something, however remotely, like this. Have to dump your brain out, so's you can hear it fresh.

Rhythmically it's very interesting, both in the driving and overlapping parts, and the percussion accents, which are where you would hear kick/crashes. Basically, a lot of people think Periphery and stuff are 'progressive', and they're not really. Learning from complex music like this, they could be, though.

The thing about it is... It might be progressive in a sense but from a musical stand point it is very non-dispirit. It really sounds like a section of a sound track to an action movie scene or documentary, you need to be watching something to be able to put it into a context which is probably why they use these types of sounds for that purpose. There is nothing there that catches my ear to the point that makes me want to remember it on it's own it needs a visual aid hense the video of moving clock parts.

Originally Posted by Loquenau

That may be true, and I know this sounds a bit childish but it lacks a cohesive rhythm section that one can headbang to and for me that's a major part of the enjoyment. I suppose it must resemble a mother's heartbeat on a basic level as if we were safe and warm in the womb.

I like Sixstring's take on it, I also like this better.

Last edited:
i would like to sample the drugs that caused the OP to put this and Periphery in the same thought process....(not really, i don't partake, but it had to be some good stuff)

I had to look twice to make sure it was Trey Gunn, it's a while since I last saw him live, sounds a bit like Crimson and ELP combined, thanks clarky for putting me onto this.

haa no worries....
I adore that piece.. it really is that strange tonal and timbral blend that makes a thug into a thing of beauty

Mixing Genesis with goth rock and some small assorted bits is not progressive. Sorry.

The thing about it is... It might be progressive in a sense but from a musical stand point it is very non-dispirit. It really sounds like a section of a sound track to an action movie scene or documentary, you need to be watching something to be able to put it into a context which is probably why they use these types of sounds for that purpose. There is nothing there that catches my ear to the point that makes me want to remember it on it's own it needs a visual aid hense the video of moving clock parts.

You're just corroborating, explicitly, my explanation. And, no, the kids in academic music these days love multi-media. Blech.

@Rook: [smiles] they're not at all alike. The Spiral Architect has a lot of 'styles' thrown out - Cynic, Fates Warning (guitars and vocals), Death (motion in fifths and such), what else?......but while there are some interesting parts, it's a bunch of [hardly original] riffs thrown together. Nothing relates them.

The real points here are that 'progressive' as used 'in the field' is abitrary; and that there's a lot of things one can do with the above example. One could go whole hog, and arrange the parts for various guitars, adding their own 'heavy' drums parts. They could take inspiration from various aspects of the piece.....well, the problem is that people generally don't have a fundamental sense, nor understanding, of rhythm. Which is why monophony and repetition are so popular - they reduce the workload of both making and hearing music. (Personally, I find it very easy to hear things; making music is far more work.)

Time and generation can reverse this, and I think they are, very slowly.

Last edited:
I don't hear any Genesis in that clip at all.. or goth..
that said, I do hear a strong King Crimson element..
not that surprising given that 2 of those guys are former King Crimson band members...
also.. the use of dissonance is massively Crimson in it's style.. Fripp himself could have wrote that..
and not being familiar with the peice it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out that he did..

and given that King Crimson's history places them right at the roots of the prog rock family tree..
I'd say that clip qualifies as prog in every possible way...

@Marrafat: that vid you linked is like stuff I've heard from probably five decades before that. I don't care for any of it.

and given that King Crimson's history places them right at the roots of the prog rock family tree..
I'd say that clip qualifies as prog in every possible way...

Prog and progressive are not the same thing. One is a genre/style, the other is a definition.

Last edited:
I honestly can't tell if this is a troll or not. If it isn't then this thread is heading in a dangerous direction, so if you'll allow me, I'd like to humbly attempt to "right" its course.

Loquenau, I think you hit the nail on the head with one of your earlier posts, but perhaps you didn't take it far enough. Definitions and opinions regarding music are arbitrary. They are also learned and subjective.

With this in mind, your own opinion regarding what constitutes "progress" holds water no more nor less than any other subjective opinion regarding this incredible experience we call music. Others have expressed their opinions, and those are also fantastic opportunities to view music in a different light. The only absolute truth in music, as I see it, is that it either makes you feel something, or it doesn't.

Any other arguments (as this looks to be swiftly descending to) pertaining to musical opinion reside alongside religious debate and the Nazi incursion into Russian winter... unwinnable, uncouth, and soaked in ego.

That said, I really enjoyed the piece! Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom