You Guys/Gals Are in for Another Treat

I'm working on it. Every amp model needs to be reentered. Lot of work. So far it is sounding fantastic. It's hard to keep focused as I get distracted playing.

It can be a bit shocking at first. Those "vintagey" amps are quite a bit different in some cases. Spitty, gnarly, nasty, angry sounding. The "polished" sound is gone. The low end is tighter. High gain amps growl and chug with a vocal quality. Medium gain amps purr like a big cat. Low gain amps sound big and chimey.

The whole impetus for this was I was doing some critical listening and I noticed that certain amp models didn't have the same distortion "texture" as the real amp. The amps sounded like rubbing two rocks together while the models sounded more like sandpaper. There was also a vocal quality. The amps went "chug, chug, yowwwwww" while the models went "chit, chit, yeeeeee". That led to a complete rewrite of the preamp algorithms. What I learned from that I applied to improvements in the power amp algorithms.

I'm working on it. Every amp model needs to be reentered. Lot of work. So far it is sounding fantastic. It's hard to keep focused as I get distracted playing.

It can be a bit shocking at first. Those "vintagey" amps are quite a bit different in some cases. Spitty, gnarly, nasty, angry sounding. The "polished" sound is gone. The low end is tighter. High gain amps growl and chug with a vocal quality. Medium gain amps purr like a big cat. Low gain amps sound big and chimey.

The whole impetus for this was I was doing some critical listening and I noticed that certain amp models didn't have the same distortion "texture" as the real amp. The amps sounded like rubbing two rocks together while the models sounded more like sandpaper. There was also a vocal quality. The amps went "chug, chug, yowwwwww" while the models went "chit, chit, yeeeeee". That led to a complete rewrite of the preamp algorithms. What I learned from that I applied to improvements in the power amp algorithms.
This is really exciting to me. I come from a metal background. But for the last few years I've been way more interested in funk, jazz, and blues. The axe fx in its current state is excellent. Knowing that I'll be even closer to those raw vintage tones is just inspiring.

Geez Cliff, you got us all worked up... On one hand, I want to say please take your time cause that's how we do quality works, on the other hand, I am like firmware Weds please? ;-)

Very interested to see how this impacts the Hiwatts and bass amps.

Please write a book or something. I could read this kind of shit every day until I die.

Do you find that high gain pinch harmonics are more 3d-like compared to previous versions?

That has been my main "complaint" through the years when comparing to an amp.

Back
Top Bottom