• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Yet another Noise Gate Thread...

So I know this has been discussed before and I apologize for being redundant. I have tried using settings others have posted but I have a hard time getting a good gate for rhythm like this pedal... and also finding a natural sounding decay for long lead trails. Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks everyone!

Maybe posting a preset or some details on what you've tried so far would help?

I'm not a high gain guy, so I never use the gate except very minimally the one that's part of the Input block.

for me the key for a tight high gain gate in a horribly EMI infested environment was to use the input gate set to intelligent followed by a noise gate block with similar settings, a bit more aggressive on the ratio and using the low and high cut (150Hz - 6kHz)

at times I had to go as high as -40dB on the threshold.

under circumstances like this you have to have separate settings for rhythm and lead

thanks for the responses!

yes I do use a side chain to input 1.

I usually have the input gate set with a threshold to where the background noise is silencing the excess noise. Ratio at 3 with quick attack and a little longer release (although I don’t really understand these parameters fully)

I then use a gate block after the amp, before the cab, and side chain it to input 1 with same ratio, attack, release settings. I bring the threshold up to where the palm mutes have some trail to them but not too much noise.
For less I usually turn the sidechained gate off and adjust the input threshold. It still cuts off the trail on a long held note that I’m sustaining but not terribly.

I miss the days of single knob noise gates 😂😂

under circumstances like this you have to have separate settings for rhythm and lead

This is probably the best approach for super-tight palm mutes. I've been struggling to find a multipurpose sweet spot for both without success.

I'm using single coils, and by the time I kill the noise, I've limited the bottom end of the dynamic range I can use by a lot. Mayhaps I see a set of Fluences in my future, but it's a kind of weird thing to do to an EJ strat whose sound I (mostly) dig. Or maybe a Suhr or EBBM, or something else with quiet single coils.

Back
Top Bottom