Yet another Noise Gate Thread...

So I know this has been discussed before and I apologize for being redundant. I have tried using settings others have posted but I have a hard time getting a good gate for rhythm like this pedal... and also finding a natural sounding decay for long lead trails. Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks everyone!

Maybe posting a preset or some details on what you've tried so far would help?

I'm not a high gain guy, so I never use the gate except very minimally the one that's part of the Input block.

for me the key for a tight high gain gate in a horribly EMI infested environment was to use the input gate set to intelligent followed by a noise gate block with similar settings, a bit more aggressive on the ratio and using the low and high cut (150Hz - 6kHz)

at times I had to go as high as -40dB on the threshold.

under circumstances like this you have to have separate settings for rhythm and lead

thanks for the responses!

yes I do use a side chain to input 1.

I usually have the input gate set with a threshold to where the background noise is silencing the excess noise. Ratio at 3 with quick attack and a little longer release (although I don’t really understand these parameters fully)

I then use a gate block after the amp, before the cab, and side chain it to input 1 with same ratio, attack, release settings. I bring the threshold up to where the palm mutes have some trail to them but not too much noise.
For less I usually turn the sidechained gate off and adjust the input threshold. It still cuts off the trail on a long held note that I’m sustaining but not terribly.

I miss the days of single knob noise gates 😂😂

under circumstances like this you have to have separate settings for rhythm and lead

This is probably the best approach for super-tight palm mutes. I've been struggling to find a multipurpose sweet spot for both without success.

I'm using single coils, and by the time I kill the noise, I've limited the bottom end of the dynamic range I can use by a lot. Mayhaps I see a set of Fluences in my future, but it's a kind of weird thing to do to an EJ strat whose sound I (mostly) dig. Or maybe a Suhr or EBBM, or something else with quiet single coils.

Back
Top Bottom