Yek's preset library

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
Ever since becoming a user of Fractal Audio products I've been keeping a library of Axe-Fx presets which I find interesting for some reason. Not the "This is the best Diezel tone ever, bro!" kind of stuff, but presets that are based on creative or innovative ideas or produce out-of-the-ordinary sound effects. That includes stuff created by others and work of my own. Some of these are really old, but I kept them up-to-date with current Axe-Fx III firmware.

Coming weeks I'll be posting them in this thread. One by one. ... because it's more fun that way.
And I know that we have Axe-Change, but I prefer posting stuff here, because it allows room for discussion, clips, videos, etc.

When posting a preset that was not created by me (if I can recall), I'll add a shootout to that forum member.

Last edited:
Delay feedback loop

Based on an old preset, made by James Santiago, now product designer at UA, and using some other ideas.

It has a feedback loop, meaning that the output of a delay is fed back into the same delay all the time. The loop is created by using the Feedback Send and Return blocks, which send the signal to the left of the loop. The Return Level in the Return block is below 100% to prevent runaway oscillation.

The loop uses the IR player with the Pignose 1x4 stock IR to degrade the signal intentionally. Originally, James used an IR of an Echoplex for this task. Also, the Delay Input Gain is being controlled by the Sequencer controller. Together, this creates a lo-fi echo.

The Delay Feedback parameter is attached to External Controller 1, which is a pedal in my rig, to control the number of repeats / oscillation.

There's a Volume block for auto swells. Its Volume parameter is attached to the ADSR controller, which acts faster on fast notes than the Auto-Swell type in the Volume block. Thank you, @Admin M@, for this tip.

Pre and post compression keeps stuff under control.

Schermafbeelding 2023-08-05 om 10.31.03.png

Attachments

• Feedback Loop.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Lotus

This was made by forum member @DLM , when converting some Digitech GSP 2101 presets to the Axe-Fx.

It is one of my all-time favorites, and isn't that complex. A delay feeds signal into two parallel pitch shifters (not for you, FM3 and FM9 owners!), set at -7 and +7, and the signal is then ping-ponged and low-passed.

It's a very soothing, satisfying, warm stereo synth sound. It can handle chords.

Schermafbeelding 2023-08-05 om 11.22.37.png

Attachments

• DLM Lotus.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Sustain Pedal

When discussing the Gamechanger Audio PLUS pedal, @simeon came up with an idea to reproduce that.

I integrated his approach into a preset of mine. External Controller 1 (pedal 1 in my rig) is attached to Bypass and Hold in the Delay. The delay goes through a Plex Delay. Hit a note or chord, press the pedal down and hold it there to make the tone/chord sustain, and play over it. The result of this works better for me than just engaging the Repeat Hold function in a delay or reverb.

Schermafbeelding 2023-08-05 om 13.09.33.png

Attachments

• Sustain Pedal.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Ever since becoming a user of Fractal Audio products I've been keeping a library of Axe-Fx presets which I find interesting for some reason. Not the "This is the best Diezel tone ever, bro!" kind of stuff, but presets that are based on creative or innovative ideas and out-of-the-ordinary sound effects. That includes stuff created by others and work of my own. Some of these are really old, but I kept them up-to-date with current Axe-Fx III firmware.

Coming weeks I'll be posting them in this thread. One by one. ... because it's more fun that way.
And I know that we have Axe-Change, but I prefer posting stuff here, because it allows room for discussion, clips, videos, etc.

When posting a preset that was not created by me (if I can recall), I'll add a shootout to that forum member.
This is such a great idea! Thank you for doing this!

Organ Simulation

I posted about this before.

I use this organ simulation a lot in my live presets and it works pretty fine for that purpose. Partly based on a factory preset by Admin M@.

The Rotary block's ABC channels correspond with slow speed, fast speed and brake. The Drive block adds grit.

There are more organ simulations in the factory presets (search this page for "organ"). And forum member @fractalz made a great one too, with different drawbar positions.

Schermafbeelding 2023-08-05 om 16.19.25.png

Attachments

• Organ.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
For Two Guitars

This is the preset I keep on the device for the occasional guest appearance on stage of another guitar player.

The other player can plug the instrument into INPUT 2. (Make sure that Input 2 Mode is set to Left Only in Setup > I/O > Audio.)

The preset uses two Amp blocks so it can't be used on the FM3.
A couple of basic blocks are provided, which can be engaged/bypassed on my floor controller.

Schermafbeelding 2023-08-05 om 18.22.42.png

Attachments

• Two guitars.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Test Tone

Simple utility to test the outputs of the units. A Synth block generates a test tone on its own and sends it to all outputs. This can be helpful when there's no signal and you want to check the outputs.

Schermafbeelding 2023-08-06 om 08.20.28.png

Attachments

• Test Tone.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 43
Reversed Delay + Feedback Simulation

Combination of a reversed delay with feedback simulation.

Make the feedback fade in with a pedal (Pitch Input Gain is attached to External Controller 1).

In scene 1 the feedback harmony is set at +19 (octave plus 7th).
In scene 2 the feedback harmony is set at +7.
In scene 3 both are combined.

Schermafbeelding 2023-08-06 om 08.47.15.png

Attachments

• Rev.Delay + FB.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Pedal Delay Time

This preset demonstrates the "warp" effect when adjusting the Delay Time parameter. The parameter is attached to External Controller 1, which is a pedal in my rig. When playing, push the pedal down and then let it rise slowly.

Schermafbeelding 2023-08-06 om 13.55.06.png

Attachments

• Pedal Delay Time.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 62
Didgeridoo

An approximation of the sound of a didgeridoo, using an envelope-controlled Formant block and Uni-Vibe.

Soften the string attack by playing with your thumb and turning down the Tone knob on the guitar.

Schermafbeelding 2023-08-06 om 14.13.22.png

Attachments

• Didgeridoo.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 97
Camilo Velandia

Of all the wonderful players that have visited the forum, I probably envy @camilovelandiamusic's playing skills the most. But this is not about that, it's about a preset he posted back in 2018 or so. I hung on to it, because it has some great sounds. It's not totally original, I edited it a little.

While scenes 1 and 2 feature nice ambient and lush tones, scene 3 is what it is about for me. It produces an EDM synth sound (dance), something you don't hear often on this forum. And scene 4 is sort of a bonus, a high-octave synth that lets you noodle while you think of birds and waterfalls and stuff.

Schermafbeelding 2023-08-06 om 15.36.23.png

Attachments

• Camilo.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 113
Camilo Velandia

Of all the wonderful players that visited the forum, I probably envy @camilovelandiamusic's playing skills the most. But this is not about that, it's about a preset he posted back in 2018 or so. I hung on to it, because it has some great sounds. It's not totally original, I edited a little.

While scenes 1 and 2 feature nice ambient and lush tones, scene 3 is what it is about for me. It produces an EDM synth sound (dance), something you don't hear often on this forum. And scene 4 is sort of a bonus, a high-octave synth that lets you noodle while you think of birds and waterfalls and stuff.

View attachment 124670

I'm honored, man!!! When I first got into fractal in the early 2010's, I dissected the entire empire of information by the famous Yek! I think you were the first guy to really teach the first generations of Fractal users how to get around the unit and the possibilities of it, so I'm sure it all traces back to you anyway!

Organ Simulation

I posted about this before.

I use this organ simulation a lot in my live presets and it works pretty fine for that purpose. Partly based on a factory preset by Admin M@.

The Rotary block's ABC channels correspond with slow speed, fast speed and brake. The Drive block adds grit.

There are more organ simulations in the factory presets (search this page for "organ"). And forum member @fractalz made a great one too, with different drawbar positions.

View attachment 124594

Dude. This is epic. Also your presets are inspiring. Such clever ways to route that I haven’t thought of.

Back
Top Bottom