Yek's Preset Collection (v9.02)

Status
Not open for further replies.
During the past week I've been experimenting with IRs. I've returned to an approach / recipe I used earlier and which I was very satisfied with: combining IRs which are equivalents of my favorite real speakers.

1. The first is an impulse equivalent of the speaker in my current 1x12 cab. That speaker is a ASW KTS-70, a high-power version of the G12H30.
  2. The second is an impulse equivalent of the EVM 12L, my other favorite speaker.
  3. I'm using the same mix of microphones with each cab.
KTS-70
Supplies the vibe of the G12H, which is like a greenback but more versatile. Most of my favorite amp models suit that speaker. The G12H is a 30w. The KTS-70 can handle much more power.

EVM-12L
Perfect addition to the G12H. It supplies the headroom (power and frequencies) for reproduction for clean tones. It also adds tremendous punch and clarity to crunch and high-gain tones. Furthermore, it allows the character of the amp to shine through clearly.

Together these two speakers / IRs can handle anything I throw at them: Fender Super Reverb, Vox, BE, /13, Cameron, FAS Modern, Badger, Plexi, Splawn, Dr.Z, etc. From sparkling cleans to crushing rock.

I've ordered a 2x12 cabinet, to mount my KTS-70 and EVM speakers in.

Several ways to create the mix of the IRs. Of course the results differ but any method will get you in the ballpark.

1. Stock OHs: mix the stock Boogafunk E12L and SLM H75 in the Cab block, no mics.
  2. Stock RW: mix the stock EVM-12L and Basketweave G12H30 in the Cab block. Experiment with R121, Dyn57, U87.
  3. Commercial OH: use AOMDSP to mixBoogafunk E12L and SLM H75, using various mics.
  4. Commercial RW: use AOMDSP (or MixIR on the RW site) to mix MarkIIC EVL and Basketweave G12H30, using various mics.
I'm looking forward to Kevin's release of the new OH G12H IRs!

Meanwhile I'm using method 4, mixing the following six IRs into a single IR:
  • 3x Basketweave G12H30: R121 CapEdge 3, SM57 Cone 0.5, U87 CapEdge 2.
  • 3x MarkIIC: R121 Cap 4, SM57 Cone 0.5, U87 CapEdge 2.
May seem like a lot of work, but actually it's a matter of a couple of minutes using AomDSP*.
I've the IR loaded in a Lo-Res cab block, configured as a global block, present in most of my presets.

Last edited:
  • 3x MarkIIC: same mics.
May seem like a lot of work, but actually it's a matter of a couple of minutes. I've the IR loaded in a Lo-Res cab block, configured as a global block, present in most of my presets.

Just built this IR Yek ... very nice and flexible. Thanks for sharing :)

Reactions: yek
  • 3x MarkIIC: same mics.
These are Redwirezs? I suppose I could probably just mix it and look myself, but...what's the frequency plot look like for the mix versus any one cab? Is it's a flatter plot than any one cab or do some serious peaks arise because of the mix? I've never mixed more than two mics before...figured my head would explode if I tried more. :)

These are Redwirezs? I suppose I could probably just mix it and look myself, but...what's the frequency plot look like for the mix versus any one cab? Is it's a flatter plot than any one cab or do some serious peaks arise because of the mix? I've never mixed more than two mics before...figured my head would explode if I tried more. :)

Haven't looked at a frequency plot ever. :)

I've been using a single (non-mixed) IR for a long time. But I landed on these this week and it just sounds good to me. Very happy with it.
R121 for the natural tone, 57 for some bite (at cone position it isn't as harsh as it can be), and U87 for warmth. Extremely "solid" tone.

Yes, these are RWs. Waiting for the arrival of the "Mark II" OwnHammer IRs for the EVM-12L and G12H or H75.

"updated for firmware 9.xx" presets are now available in the first post of this thread.

Making use of scenes of course, and lots of other changes. Everything is described in the first post.

Check this post for more information about the IR-mix I use.

Remember, most of my presets point to an user cab slot.
And presets with split names make use of scenes.

Last edited:
"updated for firmware 9.xx" presets are now available in the first post of this thread.
Making use of scenes of course, and lots of other changes. Everything is described in the first post.

A big thank you for doing this, over and over again. I learned a significant amount from your posts back when I bought a Standard. To this day I continue to use some presets based off your presets. With a II on the way I am sure I'll be learning from you once again. Thank you!

Hey Yek,

First off, thank you for the incredible contribution! Some of your presets have really helped me understand the finer details of programming on my new baby! I do have one slight issue though, I can't seem to use your system data, any hints on how to go about this?

Use a MIDI utility to send the sysex to the Axe-Fx and it will process it. The Axe-Fx is always ready to receive sysex data.

My new 2x12 with EVM and KTS-70:

2x12.jpg

My new rack:

rack.jpg

And this is going to be added in the empty 1u rack space:

VS-20121213-1-02.jpg

Wow that looks awesome! maybe next year I might do the same with an ASW 2x12 cab. Would love to hear the difference between 2 1x12s of these speakers and a 2x12.
My new 2x12 with EVM and KTS-70:

2x12.jpg

My new rack:

rack.jpg

And this is going to be added in the empty 1u rack space:

VS-20121213-1-02.jpg

Hi Yek,

I'm getting baffled about where to find the Vibe assignment - is it called something different in the I?O list?

Hi Yek,

I'm getting baffled about where to find the Vibe assignment - is it called something different in the I?O list?

Vibe is the X-state of the Phaser block. The XY switch is in the Reveal row.

Well... my small problem with IAs 2 matters not at all.... I've just used up all of the last working afternoon before everything shuts down for Christmas trying out Yek's latest "system" and patches. This isn't good work-wise, but was much better than the other options!!

I'm not totally sure if I'm using the right cabs, but there's such a lot of really great sounds here - every one of which can easily be modified through the globals or the way he arranges the blocks. Having the other secondary patches equipped with a second scene to tone it down a little is a great idea. Highly usable.

We're getting two new sets together in the three-piece band I play in, so I'll probably put modified patches into Bank C and save them as Songs to totally minimise tap dancing. I'm also seeing if with help from others here I can develop a WDW system...

Anyway, not being sure what others do with Yeks' downloads, having set the whole thing up on my Axe2 and MFC, I just wanted to say yet again how brilliant it is, and to recommend others who might be new to the Axe, or like me less technical and midi-savvy, that they won't go wrong if they copy this to get them going.

I feel really sad when I see those occasional posts by people frustrated enough to tell us all that they're giving up on the Axe. Especially those who like it for recording but can't make it work for them live... It's so totally easy to get exactly the guitar sounds you imagine for recording - but THEN to be able to reproduce those sounds exactly live without all the nightmare of former years, of trying to get something like it - and then just cranking up the volume on the basis that when it's loud punters can't really tell too much difference between basic sounds...

And the comparison between my fantastic 1963 AC30 and Axe versions of the same... well, it's the same sound, only the Axe doesn't have to be ear-meltingly loud to work, and Exit the square metre of ODs, compressors, noise reducers and other FX required to tame it.

Thanks again Yek.

Very nice! I'll check it ASAP and let you know. Nice tip using hyphen to have a quick view of what's in the preset. I use a * to mark a preset that have some special sauce like a modifier attached to my Mission pedal.

Yes, those symbols work pretty well. You only have to be careful saving them to disk (for ex. exporting from AE), because Windows/Mac can't handle the asterisks etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom