Yamaha or Adam monitors for FM3?

SloeGin

Hey guys,

I'm considering getting an FM3. I'm still trying to decide what monitors would be best for home use.
I know the Yamaha Hs7 are used by alot of people. Also the Adam A5x or A7x seem popular.

Which ones would you recommend? How big is the difference between the Yamaha and the Adam monitors.
Also concerning the Adams ... what seems preferable, the A5x or A7x?

Thanks for the help!

I've owned both - currently own the Yamaha HS8s. Having a blast with them recently.

I thought the Adams were a little hyped/bitey. YMMV.

I think, as a general rule, most say (in other threads) you'll hear that "the larger speaker will be more enjoyable".

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on room size, if its smaller room go for 5”.Bigger room 7-8”

My room is 16m2 and Adam A5X (5,5”) is just perfect..

Had Adam A7. Gave them to one of my kids and bought HS8 and a sub. I’ve not tried the A7x so I can’t comment. But I love my Yamahas. I like to hear the lows too, so when I play out they’re not overdone.

I personally A/B'd HS8 and the A7x at GC and went with the Yamahas... it just sounded better to my ears and I thought the A7Xs didn't have enough bottom end or maybe an extended mid/high end, yes, bitey.

I didn't care for the ribbon tweeter on the Adam T7V I tried and the HS8's were a bit harsh in the high end. Went with Focal Alpha 65's and have been extremely happy with them.

If my budget would have allowed for monitors in the the Adam A7x range, I would have chosen the Focal Shape 65's. That said, I was able to listen to a pair of the Focal Twin6 be's and was very surprised at how close my Alphas sounded to them, they're a great value.

I also A/B them in the store after been using the HS8 for 1 year or so after the ear fatigue...same experience as some other with the High end of the Adams , bit over the top, not that natural for me.....went home with the EVE AUDIO monitors.....very NATURAL sounding !!

I have the older Adam A7 monitors and they sound great. You can adjust the response of the tweeter if they sound too bright. I have done a lot of mixing on several different monitors and I am very used to these guys but they sound great and have very nice definition and separation.

Can you try either in person? Running a familiar song through both sets of monitors can tell you a lot about which set you may prefer. I thought I was going to love Adams after reading a bajillion positive reviews but didn't enjoy the sound and ended up with some lower-end JBLs and no complaints after a couple years. Beat the pants off my old M Audio ones as well.

There's all kinds of debate about monitors. Do you want accurate, pleasing, or both? You're not mixing, so you might not want accuracy at the expense of pleasing sound. And even serious studio mixers will use several sets of speakers to test their mix because the average consumer isn't using accurate monitors to listen to music. But "at the end of the day" no one can tell you what your ears will enjoy. So go A/B some sets if at all possible.

Or, don't overthink it and just grab some reputable speakers and rock and roll!

Back
Top Bottom