Yamaha MFC-10 Help

Just tried my hand at getting this to work for the last day and I'm lost. I have never been more confused by a thing in my life. I can't get this peddle to do anything other than what it does by default, change the patches. I would like to be able to turn effects on and off and use the looper but I can't make heads or tails of this thing. The damn Volume/Wah pedal doesn't even work by default. I tried programming it using the LEARN function on the Axe but it doesn't do anything. Anyhow could someone help me or point me in the right direction please?

Have you read or skimmed the manual?

http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=ca.yamaha.com&asset_id=2375

Pages 16-17 describe how to edit the "function memory". Page 22 is for expression pedal configuration which is similar. You could probably ignore the rest of the manual for now. With the little sliding switch set for "normal" mode, the "function" button switches presets & functions. Functions are like what FAS calls IAs, if that makes it easier to understand. These will be what you configure to send a CC to toggle some effect or control looper etc.

Assuming Axe channel = 1 you'd set a function's status to "b0" which means message type is CC, on channel 1.

The next editable values are the CC#, maximum and minimum value. The Axe I/O: CTRL page has the CC# of everything so refer to that. Max/min are generally best as 127/000 with a few exceptions, like scene selection.

You may want to set the pedal up as an external control e.g. CC#016 for External Ctrl 1. To do anything, the Ext Ctrl needs to be assigned as a modifier source in the current Axe preset.

In "mixed" mode it seems you're limited to 5 fixed functions on the top row. Normal mode gives you 10 banks of 10 functions which might be more useful.

I did skim the manual but not a lot of it makes sense to me. I'll tell you what I did do before I discovered that the axe had a learn function (which still doesn't work).
Set the AXE and the MFC10 both to channel 1
Hit FC Edit on the MFC 10 while in mix mode
FC06 is selected, Status is defaulted to B0
Navigate to the Data/ctrl menu
set it for 83 which in the axe should bypass reverb1 block.
Hit WRITE and then YES on the MFC10.
Select patch one, has reverb on by default, tap FC06

And not a damn thing happens. ): am I messing something up?

Last edited:
The CC# is one of four things to set up for a function. The others are the status byte which should be b0, and min/max values at (usually) 000/127. If the status byte doesn't start with "b" it's not a CC and the Axe learn function won't respond to it.

Hey Tailstop. Lol man, that's a good question! I'm not really sure. Midi is new to me and I guess I'm just overwhelmed. Guess I gotta redouble my efforts. I'll try again tonight.

Thanks for your help. I'll try again tonight. I must be missing something. I'm sure I understand what your saying and everything seems right. Just not getting any results

the manual is so terribly written, it's a wonder that anybody manages to figure it out. i've been using one for many, many years and have helped people in the past with it

try here - http://forum.fractalaudio.com/other-midi-controllers/95024-completely-totally-lost-yamaha-mfc10.html - NB - i accidentally worte all the commands for midi channel 2 and the axe default is midi channel 1 - change all mentions of "b1" to "b0"

if you're still confused pm me

Dude, I'm off and running in under 5 minutes. Amazing. Thank you so much for helping me over this hurdle!

Yes sir. I have it set up as the volume pedal like your example shows, but now I'm confident that I cant get it to function as just about anything really. Thank you again, you have totally saved the day in my neck of the woods. I don't learn very well from manuals as it is and this one was a real challenge. I had no idea it was poorly written, I just thought It was me!

no, it's like it's been translated into multiple languages before being translated into english. all the info is there, but finding it is quite a challenge! anyway, glad you're sorted....the mfc-10 is actually a pretty good pedal for the money

I am trying to set up the Yamaha MFC10 Foot pedal to send transpose key changes to the VL70m synth I did this with the MFC1 years ago but my help is no longer available and I have forgotten what I did.
The VL70m List book page 31 shows the following code for changing keys.

Address Size Data Parameter Description Default

(H) (H) (H) value(H)
00 00 00

06 1 28 – 58 TRANSPOSE -24 - +24[semitones] 40

To do a transpose from the front panel (as you can see by looking in the attached book)
you press the 2 buttons (- ALL PARTS +) at the same time and then using the select button,
go to Trans, change the value, then press edit and store. This would need to be done for each
key change and each key assigned to one of the foot buttons. I did this process for the for my
old Yamaha MFC1 but it has been years ago and the help I had then is no longer available.
Do you have any idea how one would get this programming into the MFC10?
The MFC10 foot pedal is designed with the VL70m to do a multitude of things
but it is extremely difficult to use and there is not much information on the web
for non programmers. I have the MFC10 manual. Are there other books available?
Glenn Dawson

hi glenn, i'm not aware of any books available, but that doesn't mean there might not be any. all i managed to do with the mfc was select patches and set up some instant access buttons for axefx. if the mfc is designed to be used with the vl70m, does it use the proprietary connection, rather than midi? i'm at a complete loss, to be honest. it might be worth trying to find a vl70m user group on thr web and ask there?

Back
Top Bottom