Yamaha DXR10

Hi, i am searching for a powered frfr wedge, that comes close in sound to that of a pa installation.
I know the clr gets a lot of love around here, but for me it's a bit to expensive.
What about the yamaha dxr10.
Are there any other frfr wedges in the same priceclass that can compete with the dxr?
How good is the dxr?
I've read some reviews, but would like a couple more opinions on this.

The Yamaha DXR and QSC K series are in the same mid price range, both get a lotta love. They're good speakers/monitors/FRFRs.

The DXR10s are great. Very clear, very loud.

They have a slight hump in the 1kHz to 1.6kHz range. For guitar monitoring, it's not a problem. For FOH, notch a little EQ and it's good. I've never touched the D-countour DSP though, I've always left it flat. Setting it to FOH/Main might offset the midrange hump, but I've never tried. I just use EQ for FOH. YMMV.

Umm 4 x12 not 8 x 12 I was curious about in comparison.
ahh sorry, i thought you said two 4x12 cabs.

2x 10" speakers still aren't moving as much air as 4x 12" speakers, but many people say volume-wise it works better, especially if you tilt them towards your ears like most monitor speakers do.

it's just a different experience and you may need to try it for yourself to really know the difference.

How does a pair of these hold up against a 4 x12 guitar cab moving air, thump and volume ?
As far as "moving air" goes, a FRFR monitor can be comparable to a 4x12. The woofer of a full range speaker has a much larger excursion than the speakers you'll find in a guitar cab.

Will it thump as hard? Probably not, but that thump is the first thing the sound guy cuts at the board.

When used as a monitor, the DXR10 has enough volume. IMO, a guitarist who uses more than enough volume is not a good bandmate. :)

As far as "moving air" goes, a FRFR monitor can be comparable to a 4x12. The woofer of a full range speaker has a much larger excursion than the speakers you'll find in a guitar cab.

Will it thump as hard? Probably not, but that thump is the first thing the sound guy cuts at the board.

When used as a monitor, the DXR10 has enough volume. IMO, a guitarist who uses more than enough volume is not a good bandmate. :)
LOL good bandmate, you should hear my drummer!!!

Well yeah obviously, I'm just asking if a pair of DXR 10's will have enough compared to 4 x12 cab.

Yes, the DXR 10's are insanely loud if you want to. They are 1100W each and much more wider dispersion than you'll get with a 4x12. I play in a 2 guitar, bass and drums band and when I used DXR10's (I use Atomic CLRs now) I never pushed them above 10 o'clock on the volume, with 50% volume on the Axe Fx 2 or Ax8, and a volume block running at about 75%. The DXR10s are way, way louder than the Atomic CLRs, Xitone's, Friedman ASM or Matrix FR10, all of which are loud enough to play in a band. I'd be very surprised if you find a 4x12 cab that's louder than one DXR10, let alone two. But since it's a FRFR cab, it will not feel like a guitar cab, but it's definitely loud enough.

Back
Top Bottom