XLR vs 1/4 jack

Hello.

Im making a patch panel for my rack. I was wondering if its prefared to use XLR if u are Connection into a mixerboard??

should i put XLR Connections in my patchboard?

/Christian Bernhall

If the run is short likely does not matter. Most common seems to be running XLR to mixer and 1/4 to stage monitors.

Cheers

Usually, but those are usually designed to be fairly transparent and have a pad button for line level.
Also, many times the line level input goes through the preamp as well.

Just remember that both an XLR or Stereo 1/4 Jack can be balanced - they're just a socket / receptacle shape and it's what it's all hooked up to that matters.

Most people associate XLR with being 'balanced' due to mic cable thing, but it really matters not what you use on the panel, as long as you know where it's come from and where it's going.

The XLR outputs on the AxeFX are balanced, the Jack outputs are not... but you can certainly come out of the XLRs to a TRS Jack socket on the panel if that's what you have / prefer and feed into Balanced Line Inputs on the desk (as long as the Line runs in a multicore are balanced too)
thumbsup.gif

You could think of XLR cables as "humbucking". They take advantage of a signal transmission trick known as CMNR (Common Mode Noise Rejection), the details of which I won't bore you with here, but is a real thing and highly effective. But, generally speaking, you only need it for long cable runs. So, for connecting sfx to your amp, or your preamp->power amp, it's not necessary. The runs usually aren't long enough to be an issue. You see it used on microphones because those lines can be very long. It's not unusual to see 50' or more.

Some guys like to use XLR cables to hook things up even in short runs, though. It's not to reduce noise or improve fidelity as much as they're a very robust connector that can take a helluva lotta abuse. Plus, they're common as dirt.

Back
Top Bottom