XLR out to FOH, 1/4" to amp/cab

Are you running Out 2 into the FX loop of a tube amp Rich? Your 5153 50 watt? When I did that I had to do some tweaking of the Global EQ of Output 2 to get it sounding like I wanted.

Yup...I've got it somewhat tamed now. I'm still on a learning curve and trying to find where the hidden menus are, eqs, etc...what's the easiest way to get to the global EQ of out 2?

Yup...I've got it somewhat tamed now. I'm still on a learning curve and trying to find where the hidden menus are, eqs, etc...what's the easiest way to get to the global EQ of out 2?
If your in AX8 Edit there is a few buttons below the grid to the left and it's the "Setup" button and you can choose Global 1 or 2. If your on the unit itself just page over from the main screen till you get to it.

If your in Axe Edit there is a few buttons below the grid I think it's "Setup" and you can choose Global 1 or 2. If your on the unit itself just page over from the main screen till you get to it.

Thanks Todd. Going to try running this way for my next gig. I have a CLR but I just can't get right with the FRFR way. It just doesn't breathe like an amp and I know it's not meant to. I've tried for the last year or so (kemper, helix, amplifire) but I struggle playing live with that setup. That's why I'm using my amp and cab...I just prefer that sound/feel.

Thanks Todd. Going to try running this way for my next gig. I have a CLR but I just can't get right with the FRFR way. It just doesn't breathe like an amp and I know it's not meant to. I've tried for the last year or so (kemper, helix, amplifire) but I struggle playing live with that setup. That's why I'm using my amp and cab...I just prefer that sound/feel.
What FRFR are you using? If you're happy with the direct tone from Out 1 you can get there with FRFR on Out 2.

What FRFR are you using? If you're happy with the direct tone from Out 1 you can get there with FRFR on Out 2.

I have a CLR. I haven't heard the OUT 1 tone through a PA yet so I don't know how good or not good it sounds yet. I'll try it at soundcheck friday and if it sucks, I'll switch to 4cm and mic my cab. I've always liked my direct tone out front...it's hearing it that way on stage that I can't get used to. I feel like I lose dynamics and can definitely feel it when playing. This is why I'm trying this setup...direct to FOH but still hear what I need on stage.

I have a CLR. I haven't heard the OUT 1 tone through a PA yet so I don't know how good or not good it sounds yet. I'll try it at soundcheck friday and if it sucks, I'll switch to 4cm and mic my cab. I've always liked my direct tone out front...it's hearing it that way on stage that I can't get used to. I feel like I lose dynamics and can definitely feel it when playing. This is why I'm trying this setup...direct to FOH but still hear what I need on stage.
Are you using the CLR in front or like a cab behind you?

Are you using the CLR in front or like a cab behind you?

I've tried it both ways...in front as a wedge was way too harsh and brittle. I figured it's because I'm so used to a 412 blowing behind my legs. So I tried it as a cab behind me...couldn't hear it well enough and when turning up, it started sounding worse. I haven't tried it with the AX8 yet but with the Helix and Amplifire, the Amplifire was at least usable this way but I still prefer a real cab more than anything. I tried the Friedman cab but that was too boomy to my ears and colored the tone.

Well, the way you're going to try it should work for you then. I do think your gonna have to do some EQ tweaking to get it exactly where you want it. Are you gonna have a practice at gig volume before the show?

Well, the way you're going to try it should work for you then. I do think your gonna have to do some EQ tweaking to get it exactly where you want it. Are you gonna have a practice at gig volume before the show?

Practice? We never rehearse...we live like 90 minutes away from each other. lol

When I tweak, whether it was my kemper, amplifire, pods, helix, etc...I always tweak at gig volume or close to it. I just have to keep at it. Maybe I'll bring out the CLR one of these days and try it with the AX8 to see if it's any different.

I hear ya man. It's a 45 min drive to practice for me. Only time we practice is on the weekend right before a show. You know what your doing so I think you'll be fine. Just get familiar with the AX8's Global EQ's and how to get to them on the unit itself so you can make changes quickly if needed. They are a great tool for fine tuning the tone on the fly. It took me a bit to get used to the FRFR's. I have a CLR that I use at home, the Friedman I keep at our rehearsal space and I gig with 2 XiTone's in stereo. I keep one behind me and one on the other side of the drums by my bass player and still have some of me in the front monitors as well. But for bigger venues like House of Blues I bring my Matrix power amp and my EVH 4x12 cab for more volume.

@skyhighrocks have you tried a solid state amp, like the Matrix GT1000, and your guitar cab?

The "double" power amp processing when running the way you are, into the return of a tube rig, can be hard to dial out.

You can use the same cab but use a solid state power amp instead.

I hear ya man. It's a 45 min drive to practice for me. Only time we practice is on the weekend right before a show. You know what your doing so I think you'll be fine. Just get familiar with the AX8's Global EQ's and how to get to them on the unit itself so you can make changes quickly if needed. They are a great tool for fine tuning the tone on the fly. It took me a bit to get used to the FRFR's. I have a CLR that I use at home, the Friedman I keep at our rehearsal space and I gig with 2 XiTone's in stereo. I keep one behind me and one on the other side of the drums by my bass player and still have some of me in the front monitors as well. But for bigger venues like House of Blues I bring my Matrix power amp and my EVH 4x12 cab for more volume.

I'll get it figured out...most of the places we play are good size so having the 412 doesn't bother me. I played a big show with the CLR before and it was pretty bad on stage for me.

@skyhighrocks have you tried a solid state amp, like the Matrix GT1000, and your guitar cab?

The "double" power amp processing when running the way you are, into the return of a tube rig, can be hard to dial out.

I actually have a Magnum 44 pedal that I bring to gigs and was actually thinking of trying it out to see how it performs.

Just got done playing some presets through my CLR at a decent volume. It just sounds unnatural to me...like overly digital. When I say that, it's hard to explain...the tone is not warm...it's more woody. The same preset minus the cab block going through my amp and cab sounds like night and day...much warmer and more like a guitar amp.

I'm not at a home so I'm not in front of AXEdit but I opened Bill's preset in FracTool to look at it while I'm contemplating how to hook up my rig on my break at work. How is he running the loop on the AX8 into the mixer at the end and then into his power amp and cab without the IR?

What I want to do is use an H9 in the loop of the Ax8. I could use the left out on it to return to the AX8 and the right out of the H9 to go to the amp but I'm thinking that;s not the best way. It would be great be use the H9 in the loop and still be able to run a signal without the IR to my amp and cab as well as go direct with an IR through the XLR out. I don't care about it being in stereo... mono is fine.

Last edited:
On my Axe-fx I always put the fx loop right before the cab with the cab last in the chain. When I got my AX8 and copied presets over, for some reason this didn't work. I moved the FX loop right under the cab and it works as intended. Been running it that way ever since.

This is what I'm doing now. I was running it through a Mark IV effects return but there are to many variables since the presence, and channel volume are still active through the loop return. I picked up a Matrix GT1000 and am using the AX8 with cab sims off through a regular guitar cab. I also have a JBL PRX400 I can use with the Matrix if I decide to run FRFR with sims on.

Back
Top Bottom