• BOTH and i like xitone more

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Both and i like atomic more

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Who cares

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Can you even buy CLRs? Every time I think I want to try one they’re unavailable on the Atomic site.

XiTones are excellent. Very happy with my MBritt. And its traditional look helps me avoid stupid comments.

Unix, maybe you can elucidate
On my FB group someone said the CLR is the only true FRFR active wedge out, and i disagreed saying there is a Xitone (as well as a Friedman too but i stuck with the xitone) but he said its a cab with an FRFR feel....

Which doesnt make senes to me, its usually the other way around isnt it?
Anyway, what makes it FRFR vs the CLR? Or not i mean?

Unix, maybe you can elucidate
On my FB group someone said the CLR is the only true FRFR active wedge out, and i disagreed saying there is a Xitone (as well as a Friedman too but i stuck with the xitone) but he said its a cab with an FRFR feel....

Which doesnt make senes to me, its usually the other way around isnt it?
Anyway, what makes it FRFR vs the CLR? Or not i mean?
FRFR, full range, flat response, is a term that gets batted around a lot. The Friedman in particular, is not flat response & seemingly deliberately so. It's trying to be somewhere in between a guitar cab & an FRFR cab. To me, that's fine if you only want to use it as backline/cover the whole room with that cab but if you are also sending the same signal to FOH or trying to record with patches created on them, you could run into problems. The CLRs accurately give you what the Axe is putting out. If a patch sounds too bright, it's because the patch is too bright. Much easier to get patches that sound great everywhere without having to rely on the sound man to do major surgery on you sound to make it work. Since I haven't tried the Xitone, I can't comment on where it fits in but it seems their goal is to be an accurate FRFR cab.

Thanks so much man, great reply
He must’ve meant the Friedman because all i hear is amazing reviews on xitone
Albeit there are less users, much less than CLR, maybe becaujase its such a new company, but i only have heard 5/5

Thanks so much man, great reply
He must’ve meant the Friedman because all i hear is amazing reviews on xitone
Albeit there are less users, much less than CLR, maybe becaujase its such a new company, but i only have heard 5/5
Atomic was pretty much first in the game. They had another line of cabs before the CLR but I don't think they were true FRFR. The other one mentioned earlier, Accugroove, is a true FRFR too. They started making bass cabs that were billed as a studio monitor that could handle bass at gig volumes. The company folded but was recently resurrected & now they make guitar FRFR cabs too. They are really hard to find from what I can tell but would be another one I would love to check out along with the Xitone.
Edit: it looks like they have gone to the factory direct approach like Fractal & Atomic. They used to have a dealer tab on their site but never anyone listed there! https://accugroovellc.com

Last edited:
Can you even buy CLRs? Every time I think I want to try one they’re unavailable on the Atomic site.

XiTones are excellent. Very happy with my MBritt. And its traditional look helps me avoid stupid comments.

I joined the CLR wait list (they call it the pre-sale contact list) around 7-8 months ago. Never heard a peep back from them and the site still says sold out. No updates, nothing at all. I don't think they're available anymore, or the company just isn't making them.

I ended up picking up some passive XiTones and a Matrix power amp - sounds great!

I joined the CLR wait list (they call it the pre-sale contact list) around 7-8 months ago. Never heard a peep back from them and the site still says sold out. No updates, nothing at all. I don't think they're available anymore, or the company just isn't making them.

I ended up picking up some passive XiTones and a Matrix power amp - sounds great!
They are still around & having the same issue as others with a world wide shortage of parts. Fractal is having the same problem but maybe not to the same extent depending on exactly which parts they use.
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/28837107/
Tom is a good guy (have talked to him several times) & his company is very small but it doesn't help much when you need something now but they will be available eventually. Anyway, Xitone definitely seems like a great option & if I was in the market & needed an FRFR to replace my CLRs, they would be on my list for sure.

They are still around & having the same issue as others with a world wide shortage of parts. Fractal is having the same problem but maybe not to the same extent depending on exactly which parts they use.
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/28837107/
Tom is a good guy (have talked to him several times) & his company is very small but it doesn't help much when you need something now but they will be available eventually. Anyway, Xitone definitely seems like a great option & if I was in the market & needed an FRFR to replace my CLRs, they would be on my list for sure.

If it's a supply issue that sucks, but some communication or updates would have been appreciated. I appreciated Fractal Audio keeping us in the loop on the supply issues they were having on the FC units. Frustrating, but at least I was made aware of the issues they were dealing with. In any case, that a shame for Atomic as a lot of people would have purchased their CLR product but ended up purchasing a different product instead. I'm happy with the XiTones for practices. And hell, writing in my studio at lower volume I prefer my Yamaha HS8 studio monitors more than anything else anyways. :)

Here's a side thought - why doesn't Fractal Audio come up with their own speaker solution! :) As a newcomer to Fractal and modelling one of the most frustrating thing to deal with was figuring out what cabs/wedges to use. And then actually being able to purchase them. If Fractal had their own solution I would have jumped on that first and foremost. :p

Last edited:
Update: I just about ordered the CLR in case, so please let me know before the end of the night so i can cancel before he ships

I hate to cancel on mick but if its seriously way better than everything ill get my old atomic back

guys for the millionth time: I PASSED on buying a BRAND NEW CLR. I know Tom, we have a previous relationship with business and he had one for ME, and I passed!!! I chose to go with XItone PURPOSELY, its not about regret....I literally paid the same (well $50 less) than what Tom was going to do for me.............

If you are all telling me that the CLR is WAY better than the Xitone...ill cancel my order for Xitone and take the CLR

I have zero experience with the CLR so I can't comment on it. But from what I've 'heard' - it sounds fantastic and is very accurate. I wanted something beefy myself as I play a lot of high gain and the XiTone brought that for me. What type of music are you playing? And I appreciate your frustration - it's a big expense without being able to hear it first to see what works for you.

I play metal. And I used to own the CLR. I was going to buy it again, and then I changed my mind because of the Xitone rave on here. But soon after ordering, I was flooded with “CLR is the best, CLR is the only true FRFR, Xitone is better construction but CLR is truer sound” so it made me go back to the drawing board

I never hard a xitone and only hear how nice mick is, and he is, but i am paying for a product, not a friend

. Although it’s billed as an FRFR solution in the broad sense, it delivers some extra lower-midrange thump and a certain guitar-cab-like punchiness (due to its sealed cabinet design) even when set to Mode 1—which is to say, it’s not strictly FRFR, but that should be taken as a good thing by any guitarist seeking a traditional onstage response from their modeling rig.

Thats from the published review....what does this mean?

I do have to wonder why more cab builders don't use the truck bed lining. There must be a good reason because Xitone is the only one I know of.
The Line-X stuff bonds really well to itself but poorly with wood. So if it does get damaged at all, it can peel away from the wood surface, and refinishing would be hard. But by many accounts, it seems hard to damage in the first place, so dunno.
Atomic was pretty much first in the game. They had another line of cabs before the CLR but I don't think they were true FRFR. The other one mentioned earlier, Accugroove, is a true FRFR too. They started making bass cabs that were billed as a studio monitor that could handle bass at gig volumes. The company folded but was recently resurrected & now they make guitar FRFR cabs too. They are really hard to find from what I can tell but would be another one I would love to check out along with the Xitone.
Edit: it looks like they have gone to the factory direct approach like Fractal & Atomic. They used to have a dealer tab on their site but never anyone listed there! https://accugroovellc.com
Meh, if you like how it sounds, great, but the Accugrooves are not "true FRFR," the design is weird. And Accugroove has a history of fraudulent practice that they've never acknowledged let alone apologized for. Their current speaker specs are lies or at best misleading.

Last edited:
The Line-X stuff bonds really well to itself but poorly with wood. So if it does get damaged at all, it can peel away from the wood surface, and refinishing would be hard. But by many accounts, it seems hard to damage in the first place, so dunno.
I used to have a bass cab made by Avatar with a Line-X coating. This thing was totally bomb proof - the cab was more likely to damage the user than the other way around. I actually needed to be careful carrying the thing when wearing shorts so it wouldn't scrape up my legs.

Sadly, it sounded awful, so off it went. But I doubt it has a scratch on it after to this day.

There is no true FRFR, simply not possible to have flat response across an entire spectrum at any intensity level and anywhere off-axis

It’s simply an issue of how far from flat they are, with “better” units being less non-flat than others

Meh, if you like how it sounds, great, but they're not "true FRFR," the design is weird. And Accugroove has a history of fraudulent practice that they've never acknowledged let alone apologized for. Their current speaker specs are lies or at best misleading.
Exactly what do you base this on? Sure, there is nothing perfect in our world but the CLR is a very accurate, neutral cab. A flat response speaker is not supposed to "sound good". It's supposed to accurately reproduce what you are sending to it. If your patch sounds bad through a CLR, it's because it's a bad sounding patch. Also, what evidence do you have on Accugroove? Are you referring to the original company that went out of business or the current resurrected version?

Exactly what do you base this on? Sure, there is nothing perfect in our world but the CLR is a very accurate, neutral cab. A flat response speaker is not supposed to "sound good". It's supposed to accurately reproduce what you are sending to it. If your patch sounds bad through a CLR, it's because it's a bad sounding patch.
Sorry my writing wasn't clear. I wasn't talking about the CLR, just the Accugrooves. Agreed on the CLR.
Also, what evidence do you have on Accugroove? Are you referring to the original company that went out of business or the current resurrected version?
On the fraud thing, it was a while ago so I guess that's the original company. Accugroove had a feature called the Accuswitch, which was a switch that would supposedly flip their passive 4 ohm cab between 4 and 8 ohm. The switch was connected to some epoxied little black box that held a capacitor, which did nothing -- no change in cab impedance, 4 ohm cab stayed a 4 ohm cab in its "8 ohm" mode. And if two of these cabs were used in parallel in 8 ohm mode, it could damage the customers' amps. When confronted by the bass gear communities, Accugroove simply lawyered up and shut up, and quietly got rid of the switch from their future cabs and ads.

On the specs thing, their current day specs are nonsense.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom