X32 Users - How do you connect your Axe

guitarjim

Experienced
I was reading the X32 Rack manual before I pull the trigger one one. It says that the XLR inputs all have microphone preamps on them, which I'm assuming might color the tone from the Axe. I was hoping to hear how the other X32 users connect. Do you use the XLR ins, even with the mic preamp, or do you use a 1/4" aux in?

Thanks for the help. I just want to make sure I fully understand this thing before I buy one.

I doubt the preamps would color to anything you would notice, unless it's a neve or a something fancy... all mixers have mic preamps on them, well mic mixers... line mixers no.

I go stereo XLR. Works perfectly. I leave the preamp gain set to 0 and adjust the digital gain to +10. ( The X32 splits the input so you have seperate control over a preamp gain and digital gain on every input) I also add a low pass filter to keep my guitar out of the subs, but that will depend on your band, your mix, and your sound system.

You can also use the AUX inputs, but they work the same as you route them to a channel strip.

Looking at getting the x32R and the Digital snake myself.

I gotta say, the x32 Rack is one of the best value gear purchases I have made, ever (of course my FX II is top of that list). But I have an issue with their digital snake, assuming you are talking about the stage box (S16). Great unit and great idea, don't get me wrong, but at $900 for an S16, and the x32 Rack at $1,200 it makes no sense. Buy another x32 Rack and use it like a stagebox. Then you have a backup in case of emergency.

but at $900 for an S16, and the x32 Rack at $1,200 it makes no sense. Buy another x32 Rack and use it like a stagebox. Then you have a backup in case of emergency.

i share this thought too. before 2.0 though, i don't think you could control the 2nd Rack's head amps. i hope the s16 goes down in price, i really would like one. i don't want people kicking the screen and knobs on stage. :)

The X32 splits the input so you have seperate control over a preamp gain and digital gain on every input.

could you tell me where those 2 different controls occur? it wasn't so obvious to me. thanks!

i go stereo out to 2 xlr on the rack, but i run the Mono output for the mains on the x32. most situations i'm in are mono. so i either just run the left input only, or i just let the x32 sum my axe to mono - i've tested my presets to make sure there's no canceling.

i send the Main output to my onstage monitor and use Bus 1 as another send to the FOH. i use the Main for me because there is a dedicated Main level knob on the x32 front panel; i can grab that real quick if i need to during the gig. the FOH send doesn't change so i don't need immediate access.

there's a feature on the x32 Rack where you can press the Channel Select knob on the left and it will jump from Inputs to Aux to Bus, etc. this really speeds things up when mixing from the front panel only. but you have to enable it in the Setup screen. i'm away from my rig now and don't remember exactly what it was, but it was really important for me to turn it on in case i don't have my wireless setup. then you don't have to scroll through all 70+ channels/busses to get to where you want to go.

Last edited:
could you tell me where those 2 different controls occur? it wasn't so obvious to me. thanks!.

From the X32 Wiki

V2.0 Firmware: Gain Splitting and Remote Control
The new Gain Split mode enables you to separate the channel gain (Trim) from the head amp gain. When Gain Split is active, the head amp gains can only be adjusted on the Setup/preamps page while input channels have digital trims only. After having set the head amp gains with reasonable headroom during soundcheck, the Gain Split can be engaged. During the show both FOH and Monitoring consoles will operate their local gain Trims independently. The new HA Gain Remote option also allows console gains to be remote controlled by another console vie the AES50 connection. (e.g. for using X32RACK as a stagebox)

Aw shoot that's what I thought. What benefit do you get running the digital trims vs head amps?

Our normal soundguy uses an X32 full board and we just go straight into one of the channels.

Question for you x32R users: Can you link two of them together and get more AUX channels? The rack version only has 6 AUX outs + 2 Main outs. Stereo In-Ear mixes eat those up pretty quickly. Lately, our normal guy has been booked up with higher paying gigs, so we're thinking of getting our own PA.

Our normal soundguy uses an X32 full board and we just go straight into one of the channels.

Question for you x32R users: Can you link two of them together and get more AUX channels? The rack version only has 6 AUX outs + 2 Main outs. Stereo In-Ear mixes eat those up pretty quickly. Lately, our normal guy has been booked up with higher paying gigs, so we're thinking of getting our own PA.

The Rack has 8 XLR outs, and 6 Aux outs.. that's 6 stereo IEM mixes as XLR 7/8 are reserved as main L/R outs.
We are running 5 * mono IEM mixes on XLR outs 1-5. No-one in the band has been requesting stereo feeds.
But yes, I believe you can connect two consoles together with a CAT5 cable out of the AES50 ports.

Hi,

The preamps definitely do change the sound a little. I'd describe it as a slight 'smearing' of the sounds 'focus'... you know when you close your eyes and can picture _exactly_ where a voice or instrument is? Well using a quality preamp, into the X32 preamps degrades that a little. Bloody hard to put this stuff into words but I have done significant testing on this and my wife can hear it too (which means it's real dammit!) It's particularly noticeable on the 'money' channels such as vocals but effects any input.
To fix the issue, I route the auxiliary inputs (5 & 6) to a couple of channels, and connect the axe fx analog (XLR) outputs to the aux ins. This bypasses the preamps and it's all good.

Thanks
Pauly

We have XLR outs 1-6 set for 3 stereo EIM sends, 7-8 are FOH LR, and Aux Out 1-6 are 3 more stereo EIM sends. Works fine, but I can see a stage box or second x32R in my future, just because it will make things so much cleaner...

The Rack has 8 XLR outs, and 6 Aux outs.. that's 6 stereo IEM mixes as XLR 7/8 are reserved as main L/R outs.
We are running 5 * mono IEM mixes on XLR outs 1-5. No-one in the band has been requesting stereo feeds.
But yes, I believe you can connect two consoles together with a CAT5 cable out of the AES50 ports.

That's 6 MONO mixes, 3 STEREO mixes.

That's 6 MONO mixes, 3 STEREO mixes.

XLR 1-2 - Stereo Out 1
XLR 3-4 - Stereo Out 2
XLR 5-6 - Stereo Out 3
Aux 1-2 - Stereo Out 4
Aux 3-4 - Stereo Out 5
Aux 5-6 - Stereo Out 6

the x32 refers to the mixes/sends as a "Bus" and the term Aux is reserved for the 6 each 1/4" hardware ins and outs. so these 6 stereo mixes also use up 12 busses out of the available 16.

i agree, you should look into the P16 which already has dedicated outs for direct channels or busses (group drums to stereo, use 14 other direct signals, for example).

We also thought about P16 - a really nice solution. But at $250 ea. that would be another $1,500 for us. Got a headphone amp for $100 and the iPhone or iPad app is free. Plus each person can control all channels of their mix. Nice...

Yeah

I have a bunch of the P16s and the distribution unit so I can get power over internet and not have to daisy chain (can't remember the model number of that little box) and they are great - particularly for the price.

Pauly

We also thought about P16 - a really nice solution. But at $250 ea. that would be another $1,500 for us. Got a headphone amp for $100 and the iPhone or iPad app is free. Plus each person can control all channels of their mix. Nice...

Back
Top Bottom