X/Y Switching

Wildwind

Experienced
New to using X/Y, 3-year Axe user.

To toggle (in this case I'd prefer to use my fourth external switch) - default is always X. I want to hit the switch to change to Y - then hit it again to go back to X. Can I do that? There are two codes, 100 and 101. Please tell me I don't need two switches. I suppose I could just hit the Preset button to get back the default of X.

A better way to do switch between states? Not set up for Scenes, don't really need them for my gig.

Sorry to bug y'all - my MFC is at the church and I won't have much time to mess around, hoping for a shortcut.

Thanks!

Greg

One switch can toggle a block between XY states. Configure switch off/on values of 0/127 or 127/0.

Do you want to switch XY for any/all amp blocks and nothing else? The 100 and 101 you mentioned are default CC#s (call these control changes, CC numbers or CCs, not codes) for Amp 1 XY and Amp 2 XY. To switch both Amp XY states together in any dual amp presets, use CC#100 for switch and change Amp 2 XY to CC#100.

If your switch hardware type is latching you might prefer using an onboard IA for this if possible, to ensure X state on a new preset. With latching hardware it would force the new preset to Y if that's what you last switched to in the previous preset.

Yes, you can do that by making one of your IA Switches a "General Use" switch (set the Axe-Fx Func to "None"). Then set the C1 CC# to 100 and the C2 CC# value to 101. Now regardless of which Preset you're in, Both Amp 1 and Amp 2 will toggle their X/Y states when you hit that IA Switch. Remember to make sure that the MIDI Channel is set to the same channel as your Axe-Fx (Channel 1 by default).
(Click screen-shot below to enlarge)
CC_Nums_BothAmps_XY_Toggle.jpg

I think that's what you're asking, yes? You could also use an Axe-Fx External Control and a Modifier for the X/Y Switching in your Amp Blocks if you didn't want that switch to toggle Amp 1/2 X/Y in all presets. And there are some other methods too. Lots of ways to do this.

You could also use an Axe-Fx External Control and a Modifier for the X/Y Switching in your Amp Blocks if you didn't want that switch to toggle Amp 1/2 X/Y in all presets.

There's no way to assign a modifier to XY functions. It sounded like he was talking about an external switch though, so with that method the switch could be set to XY or an Ext Ctrl CC# per MFC preset.

There's no way to assign a modifier to XY functions. It sounded like he was talking about an external switch though, so with that method the switch could be set to XY or an Ext Ctrl CC# per MFC preset.

D'oh. Indeed, you can't attach a modifier to the X/Y. You are right on all counts. Thanks for the corrections.

Thanks for the answers. Once I got to the church, it took all of two minutes to make it work with my non-latching switch (Boss FS-5U), so I was very pleased.

It's weird how the front panel works, though. I have to hit the Y key twice to make it switch. First hit just takes to an editing screen. But that's not a problem - it's just that I thought I might have to use the front panel live. I'd have time, but it just doesn't seem right.

Thanks again!

Greg

It's weird how the front panel works, though. I have to hit the Y key twice to make it switch. First hit just takes to an editing screen.

In most menus the X & Y buttons function as quick jump buttons. These go to the edit menu of blocks chosen at the I/O: X/Y menu without altering settings/sound. They only switch a block's XY state when you're viewing that block's edit menu.

For quick front-panel access to sound variations, you might want to consider scenes. Then the "A" knob can be used to switch scenes. You wouldn't have to change MFC configuration (e.g. add scene switches) but using onboard IAs for XY functions is a good idea. Otherwise you can end up with MFC switch & Axe states not matching, and would need to press that switch twice next time.

Back
Top Bottom