Wrong pickup spacing

That's more likely just the pick hitting the string differently due to hand placement and the rake angle of the pick. If you angle the pick while you play, you'll hear the same difference between up and down picking on an acoustic guitar.
It wasn’t though. Unless you can explain why a trembucker fixed it?

New strings after replacing the pickup maybe? I'm not saying it's impossible, I just wouldn't expect it. Active humbuckers have usually have pretty weak magnetic fields compared to hot passives, so alignment would likely make a bigger difference with those.

It’s was actually a JB. The attack (snap?) was way more immediate on the down stroke than the upstroke (Which makes sense in hindsight since the pole is sitting in that direction.) I thought I was insane until I tried other guitars; problem wasn’t there. Switched to an F spaced JB; the problem was gone. Ended up putting that pickup in another guitar and it has nevershowed that characteristic again.

The string was damn near completely off of the pole lol

926B39FD-0FBE-417E-933D-C858F0AC2ACD.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting. JB's are pretty hot with an Alnico 5 magnet. I'd expect more of a difference with a weaker Alnico 2 or low pull active pup.

Since there's usually no difference in price, the aesthetic improvement in the alignment with an F-spaced/Trembucker is worth it anyway.

Wow...you learn something new everyday. I always thought it was just because a ferrous string was causing inductance in the coil by vibrating in a magnetic field. Boy was I wrong. Check this video out:

Great Info. Never really though about the magnet actually magnetizing the string, but that does make perfect sense. I suppose the outer strings would then be getting less magnetized with poor alignment. Net result is still largely the same, but it's good to know the real reason behind it.

I'd typically think you'd never know the difference. But if you've got a Fractal, the pickup differences seem to be amplified. But with a high output JB, I doubt you'd hear the difference. Problem is it's already in your head....lol. That would mess with me. I'm weak minded like that :laughing:

If you have a wide vintage spaced fender bridge you may hear it in a weak signal from the high E in particular but if it is a modern 10.8mm I doubt it will be audible.

Okay, I have decided to return it. Thank you all for your input. Now I just have to find a JB Trembucker 4 conductor in white.

Seymour Duncan had a message on their site the other day that they are currently unable to provide F-spaced pickups. I'm not sure of the reason, but seems like it must be inability to source bobbins during covid, as that's the only different part in F versus S.

Hopefully you'll be able to find one in the retail chain already, although the JB is the one you're most likely to find at least.

I’ve done this a few times over the years and the only problem I encountered was with my OCD. Couldn’t stop focusing on the pole pieces being miss aligned. But I’m the same way if I scratch or ding one of my guitars so there’s that………

Yeah I think all Duncan passive humbuckers are wired 4 conductor except for the Seth Lovers and some of the 59's. I could be wrong on that though.

Wow...you learn something new everyday. I always thought it was just because a ferrous string was causing inductance in the coil by vibrating in a magnetic field. Boy was I wrong. Check this video out:

Just wanted to mention that I have those Zexcoil single coils in one of my guitars. They’re amazing pickups. Probably the only zero compromise single coil toned humbucking pickups in existence. The guy who makes them seems to have an incredibly deep understanding as to the science behind pickup tone and how to manipulate it.

Back
Top Bottom