Wrong pickup spacing

RatBastard

Inspired
Hey guys, what's up? So last week I ordered a Seymour Duncan JB, and in my haste I ordered a pickup with standard spacing vs F spacing. I went on their forum and explained my situation and the consensus was that with a pickup as hot as the JB it shouldn't really matter. I am wondering what everyone's opinion is on my situation. Will the inconsistency mess with the output or the EQ in anyway?

Last edited:
Hey guys, what's up? So last week I ordered a Seymour Duncan JB, and in my haste I ordered a pickup with standard spacing vs F spacing. I went on their forum and explained my situation and the consensus was that with a pickup as hot as the JB it shouldn't really matter. I am wondering what everyone's opinion is on my situation. Will the inconsistency mess with the output or the EQ in anyway?
If it doesn't take too much time/effort to exchange it, I'd exchange it.

That said, it might pay to see how far off the string spacing actually is first by lining it up next to the bridge pickup spot, about where it is supposed to be located, and see if the strings are sorta-kinda similarly spaced or if they are way off....

I use a standard spaced Duncan JB In one of my F spaced guitars and it doesn't seem to make any difference output or tone wise.

Is your bridge actually F-spaced? If so ... If it were me, I'd swap for the F-spaced pickup. Otherwise, I'd always wonder if the spacing was affecting the sound.

It is ok on a modern 10.8 mm strat but it can be an issue on a vintage spaced 11.3mm bridge. If it exactly splits the difference it can be ok (just about). Swap it if you can though.

Here is a pic of my 1980s Fender HM Strat with a standard spaced Duncan JB. As you can see the strings are at the edges of the pole pieces. When I bend the strings they move closer to the center of the poles. So I may actually be gaining tone and sustain when string bending.

Attachments

• HM Strat.jpg
    HM Strat.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 5
Here is a pic of my 1980s Fender HM Strat with a standard spaced Duncan JB. As you can see the strings are at the edges of the pole pieces. When I bend the strings they move closer to the center of the poles. So I may actually be gaining tone and sustain when string bending.
Does the tone or sustain change when you bend?

Unless it's way off or a pickup with a really weak magnetic field, I wouldn't expect it to make a huge difference. The magnetic field lines extend outward from the pole pieces radially in a somewhat stretched spherical shape. Here's a simulated view in the direction of the strings.

6screws.gif

Unless it's way off or a pickup with a really weak magnetic field, I wouldn't expect it to make a huge difference. The magnetic field lines extend outward from the pole pieces radially in a somewhat stretched spherical shape. Here's a simulated view in the direction of the strings.

6screws.gif
This.

It matters. Downpick your low E, then up. The difference is glaring. If you have a correctly spaced pickup, you won’t hear a difference. This is actually how I first learned of pole spacing the hard way.

Back
Top Bottom