Wrong Cables / Greenhorn questions

Eriks

Hello guys,
this Friday i received my Axe-Fx II. Of course I already bought a bunch of cables, since i wanted to be able to start right off as soon as it arrives.
So i bought this cables:
1 Planet Waves MD-10 Midicable: I want to connect my Axe-FX II to my USB-Soundcard (Cakewalk UA-25 EX). It has a Midi in/out.
1 Apogee Wyde Eye WE-RR-3 SPDIF Cable: I wanted to connect it to my USB-Soundcard, but I overlooked, that it only has optical in/out not spdif :/ So yeah, I think I'll have to return them.
1 Planet Waves PW-S-10 Speaker Cable. This one is for our band-practice room. We have a Full Range Speaker there.

I'm pretty lost right now, because I can only use my Axe-FX using my headphones. (Shure SRH-440)

It would be very nice, if one of you could tell me, how to cable the following scenario. (Which cables I should buy)
Scenario One: (At home)
I have two Fostex Studio Monitors + 2 Fostex Super Tweeters which I "drive" by a NAD-1020 Stereo Amplifier. This Amplifier only has analog cinch inputs. I usually use the cinch OUT of my USB-Sound Interface (Cakewalk UA-25EX) to send the sound to the cinch-IN of my stero amplifier. Now i got my Axe-FX II. I want to connect either to my USB-Interface or to my Stereo amplifier. Which is better? (latency) I'd like to use the SPDIF Out of my Axe-FX and connect it to the Optical IN of my Sound interface. Is that possible? After all i also want to connect my Axe-FX with a MIDI-Cable so i can change presets via axe-fx software. (I only have one MIDI-Cable, is that enough to do that?)

So to break that down:
Axe-FX II SPDIF Out --> Sound Interface OPTICAL IN (will there be latency?) --> .......I take care of the rest.
Or:
Axe-FX II (Don't know which OUT i have to use) --> Stereo Amplifier Cinch-IN (I would use my Axe-FX as sound interface in this case.)

Could I also just use the Speaker cable i have and connect an AXE-FX's unbalanced OUT to an INPUT of my Sound Interface? Of course I could just try, but I don't want to damage my hardware.

I thank you very much!

Greetings,
Erik

Do you not have a free USB connection on your computer? With one USB cable you'd then have both audio in/out and midi in/out for Axe Edit.

No, you can't connect the coaxial spdif to the optical. You'd need a converter but I wouldn't bother with that.

You don't need that speaker cable for anything.

You can connect directly to your NAD. You'd only need adapters to go from 1/4" jacks to RCA (I'm just guessing that's what "cinch" means :) So, you need two regular guitar cables plus two female 1/4" to male RCA adaptors.

If you connect directly to your NAD you will of course not be able to record those outputs, but it will have no latency. If you only want to play alone, this is the best solution.
You can record through USB...if you have a free one on you computer, that is 8)

and yes, you only need one midi cable if yo do that.. however, a single USB cable will support audio and MIDI (for AxeEdit and firmware upgrades) IN and OUT of your PC over USB.
You will need to install the appropriate USB drivers, but you do not need the midi cable...

Thank you both :)
The USB thing worked...I should've just tried...
I use a guitar cable from the unbalanced out to my 6,3mm in of my sound interface. Works great and without latency

Back
Top Bottom