Wrecker now a wreck IMHO [solved]

Stratman68

Axe-Master
The wrecker has been my favorite amp for many years. But with 10.02 and 10.05 it has been destroyed , for me anyway. So much Hi end-now I have string noise which I had only at the beginning years ago with my Ultra.

I am truly bummed. Same old story, I know, but the hi end harshness is incredible, I lowered the triode Hardness, helped a little. I was so very happy until NOW.

And quite honestly I am much more comfortable tweaking in the editor so I guess I am just out of luck. Sad day for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel the same way about the AC30TB. To my ears, it's been ruined. I'm back on 9.02 and just waiting to see what happens. Maybe I should try the Dr. Z in V10?

Have you had any luck with the PEQ to try and tame the high end a little? I guess it's helpful that we can switch back to the v.9 modeling if need be. I couldn't get into the wrecker before, but I've been using it a lot more on 10...

I have the Treble set to 5.0 and the Presence at 0.0, no Dynamic Presence. I've raised the Depth to 2.0. I like the bacon on this amp now, but you can try some typical recording engineer post EQ to tame the highs. Try putting the Studio compressor after the Cab with the ratio set to 2.5 and raise the Filter frequency until you get back the low end punch you like. Then raise the Level to get the level back. That takes some of the edge off.

If you want a more dramatic effect, drop a PEQ after the cab and set F4 to around 3700Hz, raise the Q to around 4, and drop the gain to -10dB. Move the frequency around to taste.

To reduce the highs and change the character of the overdrive try a Drive block using the Esoteric ACB or Esoteric RCB model and turn down the High Cut (turn down the Drive and Level so your using the Drive block for color). A PEQ before the Amp block can help too.

With in the amp model there are several ways to reduce harshness or excessive treble. Some have been mentioned already.

try a darker cab
If you are using bright switch, lower the bright cap value or turn it off.
reduce treble
lower definition
Reduce dynamic presence (and presence in general) - raise hicut if it is a class A amp or has no negative feedback.
reduce hi cut freq in adv parameters
you can use character. Try to find the unwanted harshness by turning up the character value hi and sweep the frequency until you zone in on harsh part, then turn the character down to a negative value.
turn down power amp low cut.
Move and/or turn down speaker hi res freq.

I felt that same way about many of the 10.0 amps for the first 2-3 weeks.

You have to adjust the way you tweak, and actually the way you play to a certain degree.

After that, I found the amps sounded much much better than ever before.

I own a Vox Ac30 and I was disappointed with FW 9 which was around the time I upgraded to Axe Fx 2.
With FW 10 is a lot more accurate to my ears

Some really good suggestions in here about how to adjust the highs.. I'm taking notes. I prefer the Wrecker model with humbuckers so far.. but I haven't spent a lot of time on that model.

I've liked this increase in treble on some amps- my way of doing things on real amps (sometimes) is to dial in the tone to have a hair too much treble and then back off the tone on the bridge slightly and keep it full up for neck p/u's, etc. Nothing new in the technique department I know, but I find this works better for me in FW10.

I own a Vox Ac30 and I was disappointed with FW 9 which was around the time I upgraded to Axe Fx 2.
With FW 10 is a lot more accurate to my ears
Never owned or played through a real AC30,Could I ask what settings you use on the real amp? I've found it needs more treble than before v10 and different IR mixes ,but its working well for me.

Since the wrecker got mimic'd it should be like the real amp. When Cliff doesn't design virtual amps but makes virtual copies of real amps as accurate as he can, there's maybe not much room for personel ideas about how it should sound. Not for him, not for us. Because whenever something is changed in whatever direction it gets less accurate and you know how much energy and hours went into that target.
There's still that idealised FAS wrecker available, maybe this one has less highs?

Since the wrecker got mimic'd it should be like the real amp. When Cliff doesn't design virtual amps but makes virtual copies of real amps as accurate as he can, there's maybe not much room for personel ideas about how it should sound. Not for him, not for us. Because whenever something is changed in whatever direction it gets less accurate and you know how much energy and hours went into that target.
There's still that idealised FAS wrecker available, maybe this one has less highs?

Some of the amps are not really Mimiced yet and i believe the Wrecker is one if those.

Back
Top Bottom