Wow! Bassman About 2 Explode Preset 71

guitarcal

Inspired
I was going through several of the presets with my strat this morning and came across preset 71. Wow, it sounds killer and literally sounds and feels like it's about to explode in a good way.

I would have never thought to run the Bassman Normal channel this way and expect such a "lead" type tone. Also, the cab block was interesting in that a high cut was placed on the first IR and not the second. Filter slope was also changed, I need to investigate what this does exactly.

Anyways, I wanted to give a quick shoutout to the team who made all of our presets including this one. It's a great place to explore and learn about new tricks to run amps / cab combinations that sound good.

I was going through several of the presets with my strat this morning and came across preset 71. Wow, it sounds killer and literally sounds and feels like it's about to explode in a good way.

I would have never thought to run the Bassman Normal channel this way and expect such a "lead" type tone. Also, the cab block was interesting in that a high cut was placed on the first IR and not the second. Filter slope was also changed, I need to investigate what this does exactly.

Anyways, I wanted to give a quick shoutout to the team who made all of our presets including this one. It's a great place to explore and learn about new tricks to run amps / cab combinations that sound good.
Yea, the presets are really put together with a lot of thought and intention to demonstrate how to get different sounds and effects. You can learn a ton by deep diving into your favorites.

And I completely agree about #71- awesome preset. Those old Bassman heads are fantastic amps. Great breakup, but plenty of headroom, they inhale pedals, and sound great just about anywhere on the volume dial. My personal favorite is the blonde Bassman- the 6G6B used back in the day by a young Pete Townsend, by the Beatles, and by the cat with the big orange guitar...
1965_412bassmanpro_2.jpg

big_c34c9c6daae0d2d26917bceed9c23d55.jpg

Unknown.jpeg

Couldn't find a picture of it, but when my wife and I saw Bon Iver a few years ago, he was playing a blonde Bassman.

Bassman heads are excellent amps!

Yea, the presets are really put together with a lot of thought and intention to demonstrate how to get different sounds and effects. You can learn a ton by deep diving into your favorites.

And I completely agree about #71- awesome preset. Those old Bassman heads are fantastic amps. Great breakup, but plenty of headroom, they inhale pedals, and sound great just about anywhere on the volume dial. My personal favorite is the blonde Bassman- the 6G6B used back in the day by a young Pete Townsend, by the Beatles, and by the cat with the big orange guitar...
View attachment 110627

View attachment 110628

View attachment 110629

Couldn't find a picture of it, but when my wife and I saw Bon Iver a few years ago, he was playing a blonde Bassman.

Thanks for the info, I’ll do some research on that 6G6B model!

View attachment 110627

View attachment 110628

View attachment 110629

The blonde Bassman in the Axe is the 5F6-A 4-10 combo amp, like this:

Bassman.jpg

The blonde Bassman in the Axe is the 5F6-A 4-10 combo amp, like this:

View attachment 110655
There’s two bassmans in the axe, iirc- the tweed bassman that you’ve shown (the 59 Bassguy), and then a Bassman head that came after the tweeds- in the Axe, it’s the 65 Bassguy. I think it’s the 65 Bassguy model in the Ready to Explode preset, isn’t it? That’s modeled after Dweezil Zappas modified Bassman, which is an AB165 circuit- a different circuit than the 6G6B that was in the blondes. Unfortunately, we don’t have the 6G6B modeled in the Axe.

There’s two bassmans in the axe, iirc- the tweed bassman that you’ve shown (the 59 Bassguy), and then a Bassman head that came after the tweeds- in the Axe, it’s the 65 Bassguy. I think it’s the 65 Bassguy model in the Ready to Explode preset, isn’t it? That’s modeled after Dweezil Zappas modified Bassman, which is an AB165 circuit- a different circuit than the 6G6B that was in the blondes. Unfortunately, we don’t have the 6G6B modeled in the Axe.
I have no idea which Bassman is in the Bassman ready to explode preset, but neither of the ones in the Axe are the blonde Bassman head. if I remember right, Dweezil’s head is not modified, it’s just a very rare circuit for a Bassman head, but I could be wrong!

I have no idea which Bassman is in the Bassman ready to explode preset, but neither of the ones in the Axe are the blonde Bassman head. if I remember right, Dweezil’s head is not modified, it’s just a very rare circuit for a Bassman head, but I could be wrong!

From https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/...965_Blackface_Fender_Bassman_head.2C_AB165.29
  1. "The 65 Bassguy was matched to a 65 Bassman that Dweezil sent me. It's a vicious amp that sounds more like a Plexi than a Fender. It's the infamous AB165 circuit which is very crunchy and bright and does not sound like your typical Fender." [28]
  2. "It's a crazy sounding amp, sounds nothing like your typical Fender. It was modded by Roy Blankenship." [29]
  1. "It's Dweezil's Blankenship modified Bassman. Dweezil's Bassman has two channels like a regular Bassman. The Normal channel is "normal" and corresponds to the 65 Bassguy Nrml model. The Bass Instrument channel is modified and that's the basis for the new model (Dweezil's B-man). It has a boatload of gain and sounds more like a Plexi than a Fender." [31]

I can only guess as to the mod that Blankenship did to the amp, but I think the bass channel on the AB165 has an unused triode in the preamp- there are a bunch of versions of mods for these amps floating around out there that bring that triode into use, which significantly boosts the gain of the bass channel of the amp, and they're no joke- real rock machines.
I still prefer the 6G6B though. It's a monster amp. I've owned three of them over the years (traded my last one for a Tweedy SG), and am keeping an eye half open for another.

1. "The 65 Bassguy was matched to a 65 Bassman that Dweezil sent me. It's a vicious amp that sounds more like a Plexi than a Fender. It's the infamous AB165 circuit which is very crunchy and bright and does not sound like your typical Fender." [28]
  2. "It's a crazy sounding amp, sounds nothing like your typical Fender. It was modded by Roy Blankenship." [29]
The first quote was what I was remembering. I think it goes back to the fairly early days of the Axe II. I remember posting that it sounded nothing like my '65 Bassman! There was only 1 channel modeled at that time.

Correct. Those are 2011/2012 quotes ± fw6.

It was updated a few times after that.

- [v15] Because of Amp block feedback network improvements the 65 Bassguy amp model was completely reworked as this amp has a strange feedback topology.

- [v10] Cliff: Completely reworked 65 Bassguy model. This amp has a very peculiar feedback circuit that was not fully modeled before. The feedback is now fully modeled yielding the unique voice of this legendary amp.

- Cliff, 9/2013: Yes, the AB165 uses 7025 preamp tubes (which are relabeled 12AX7). The phase inverter, however, is a 12AT7. None of this is relevant though. The secret to the AB165 is the summing stage. It uses a inverting summing amp to sum the Normal and Bass inputs. This stage clips, because of all the local negative feedback, quite hard.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom