Would you ride a Bad Horsie?

Piing

Axe-Master
I have the opportunity to buy one, mint condition, for about $2,500

s329622902108842324_p16_i3_w1920.jpeg

I don't play much these days, so I know that I will just ride it for a while, and resale it later.

My question is: do you think that I could get profit or, at least, do not lose money? They are selling on reverb for $3,500 and up

Last edited:
I've seen them vary in prices over the years. These often get sold for fairly high prices and are often misrepresented as being a rare model, even though they were standard production models for a couple years.

The finish is prone to damage/fogging much easier than other guitars, so you'll have to baby the hell out of it to not get any marks on it, especially the pickguard.

I've seen them as high as $5K, but don't know if they ever sell for that price. $2500-3500 seems to be the average range. Constantly kicking myself in the ass for not buying one when they were in production. I'm not a fan of the trem and the necks are far thinner than 90's JEMs, it's much closer to a standard Wizard neck than a JEM neck and that was ultimately the deal breaker for me.

The original Edge trem? What's not to like? Unless you prefer the Lo-Pro?

IMO they are hands-down the best Floyd Rose licensed bridge ever.

That’s not an original Edge. ;)

I LOVE the Edge and Lo-Pro, the 77BRMR’s came with an Edge Pro. It’s not terrible, I just didn’t like the feel of them. I’ve been using an Edge or a Lo-Pro for 24 out of the 28 years I’ve been playing and they’re just perfect. Not that this has any influence on me personally, but notice these Edge Pro’s or Edge III’s aren’t on any of Vai or Satch’s guitars that they actually play live.

I can’t remember if that was you in the thread where we were discussing how shitty gold looks when it wears away, but this is my old Edge from the early 90’s. I’m not even sure what model it came off of as they didn’t start putting original Edge’s on the 7V’s until the last decade or so. The 90’s 7V’s (until 2003?) all had Lo-Pro’s and because I was a Vai nut back in high school, I wanted an Edge like he had on Evo. I might switch it back to a Lo-Pro, but it’s going to look odd if it’s minty fresh in comparison to the rest of the guitar.
EC84F792-3C2C-472C-B5A3-356350A77259.jpeg

This morning I woke up with my right foot, and discarded the idea 😅

I had to pick my old RG550LTD to remind myself how much I love this guitar. I have owned several top-line Ibanezes, including a JEM7V WH and a J-Custom RG8550MZ (with a dead-note), and always arrived to the conclusion that my RG550LTD has nothing to envy from the most expensive Super Strats. I don't know if all the RG550LTD production was like that, or maybe I just got a lucky piece of wood.

RG550LTD b.jpg

I've seen them as high as $5K, but don't know if they ever sell for that price. $2500-3500 seems to be the average range. Constantly kicking myself in the ass for not buying one when they were in production. I'm not a fan of the trem and the necks are far thinner than 90's JEMs, it's much closer to a standard Wizard neck than a JEM neck and that was ultimately the deal breaker for me.

I have found two shops here in Bangkok that still have a brand new model in stock. Selling for $3,300

https://www.musicarms.net/ibanez-jem77b-rmr/
http://www.veemusicshop.com/product/1772/ibanez-jem77b-steve-vai-bad-horsie

Last edited:
That’s not an original Edge. ;)

I LOVE the Edge and Lo-Pro, the 77BRMR’s came with an Edge Pro. It’s not terrible, I just didn’t like the feel of them. I’ve been using an Edge or a Lo-Pro for 24 out of the 28 years I’ve been playing and they’re just perfect. Not that this has any influence on me personally, but notice these Edge Pro’s or Edge III’s aren’t on any of Vai or Satch’s guitars that they actually play live.
Oops... My bad. I was fooled by looking at the pic on my iPhone.

I know what you mean. I have one guitar with the Edge Pro... Not a fan, either ;)

I Bought a BRMR in 2006 and have had it ever since. They shorted the production because the binding kept separating off the body, hence the black one they made real quick after. Its a gorgeous guitar. Buy it but not if youre trying to make money, let someone who wants to play it buy it in that case.

This morning I woke up with my right foot, and discarded the idea 😅

I had to pick my old RG550LTD to remind myself how much I love that guitar. I have owned several top-line Ibanezes, including a JEM7V WH and a J-Custom RG8550MZ (with a dead-note), and always arrived to the conclusion that my RG550LTD has nothing to envy from the most expensive Super Strats. I don't know if all the RG550LTD production was like that, or maybe I just got a lucky piece of wood.

View attachment 78006

I have found two shops here in Bangkok that still have a brand new model in stock. Selling for $3,300

https://www.musicarms.net/ibanez-jem77b-rmr/
http://www.veemusicshop.com/product/1772/ibanez-jem77b-steve-vai-bad-horsie
I was in love with my RG550 Carmin Red Ibanez but have to sell it...also my S540 Blue Turquoise Custom Made, money problems...even when the S540 was a way more better guitar in construction, electronics and also aesthetically, the RG550 had a great sound, in my humble opinion, and also doesn't has, like you said, nothing to envy from the most expensive Super Strats (got one too ;):sweatsmile:) and also other expensive Ibanez. Mine was like $1100usd new in 1997 or 98, can't remember, had a good friend in a guitar shop and give me a good price for that guitar, the S540 was a present...I'm still in love with those guitars...I will try to find some pics

ps: By the way, nice whammy bar holder o_O:D, never seem before...also put a GK2 on my S540

I have the opportunity to buy one, mint condition, for about $2,500

View attachment 77949

I don't play much these days, so I know that I will just ride it for a while, and resale it later.

My question is: do you think that I could get profit or, at least, do not lose money? They are selling on reverb for $3,500 and up
If you have the money I would buy it....those are bad ass

My sphincter clenches up whenever someone asks a question like that. No, my brother, I will not try to predict an investment's future value. For the same reasons you won't. :)

If you have the money I would buy it....those are bad ass
This is a necropost. The horsie ran away

And on a second thought, trying to keep that finish polished and without fingerprints would have driven me crazy

My sphincter clenches up whenever someone asks a question like that. No, my brother, I will not try to predict an investment's future value. For the same reasons you won't. :)

Well... I've earned extra $250 selling a Fender Jeff Beck 1993 at Reverb, $1,100 for a Ibanez JEM777 30th Anniversary, and $300 for a RG2560ZEX. That doesn't even minimally compensate all the big money I've lost selling guitars, but it is a small satisfaction that momentarily relaxes my sphincter. And I can use that ephemeral revenue to negotiate NGDs with my wife :cool:

The Jeff Beck gains, long ago, were unexpected. I didn't like the baseball bat neck, and when I was going to sell it on Reverb I realized that the prices were higher. But the recent operations with the JEM and the RG2560ZEX were intentional, as I saw the opportunity when they were selling for a very good price at the local market and noticed that their prices are inflated on Reverb 🤓

It was a pleasure to play the JEM for a couple of weeks (it was sold very fast, I could have probably asked for more and play it for longer:p). But I didn't feel sad to let it go because it helped me to reaffirm that the added value over my old RG550LTD is insignificant compared with the price difference.

20220502_144025.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom