Would like some recommendations for powered studio monitors and headphones to use with the III

Yes, HS8’s are Fantastic and accurate!
In this picture, you can see that I’m checking translation between HS8’s and frfr.
The key is fine tuning the high end for louder volumes than the studio. Just set up a global bass mid high on the units perform page. You’ll be able to compensate for different rooms. There is no need for the adam’s. I owned a much bigger studio before, and Yamahas are always the best in terms of accurate reference without spending 10k on Genelecs

Great, thanks. The manual for the HS8's suggests that they need to be 1.5 meters from the walls, or you can use the room control switches on the back to attenuate the extra bass if you're closer to a wall than that. Mine would sit almost up against a wall. Have you run them that way successfully?

Yes, HS8’s are Fantastic and accurate!
In this picture, you can see that I’m checking translation between HS8’s and frfr.
The key is fine tuning the high end for louder volumes than the studio. Just set up a global bass mid high on the units perform page. You’ll be able to compensate for different rooms. There is no need for the adam’s. I owned a much bigger studio before, and Yamahas are always the best in terms of accurate reference without spending 10k on Genelecs
Very cool setup! I like those stands for the HS8's

Great, thanks. The manual for the HS8's suggests that they need to be 1.5 meters from the walls, or you can use the room control switches on the back to attenuate the extra bass if you're closer to a wall than that. Mine would sit almost up against a wall. Have you run them that way successfully?
I avoid the wall completely.
Thick drapes hang behind the whole setup, in the open part of the room.
There's no reflections to worry about that way.
Ive had monitors close to the wall in past setups, and its not too bad as long as the room is treated, but yeah you have to compensate for low end inaccuracy.
A little calibration and you'll be fine.
The HS8's are great!

Been using HS8’s as well for almost 10 years now. Pretty solid and great sound for the price. As for headphones. I’d recommend Audio Technica MX50 amongst all competitors in its price range.

Last edited:
I’m running an HS8 and HS8S combo. I like the extra thump from the sub. My phones are Beyer DT880. The DT880 actually match the HS8 pretty well, except in the low bass.

I’m running an HS8 and HS8S combo. I like the extra thump from the sub. My phones are Beyer DT880. The DT880 actually match the HS8 pretty well, except in the low bass.
I’d love to get the sub for pure enjoyment, not so much reference. Great for movies as well lol

I ended up buying the Sennheiser HD600 headphones as a few people recommended. Sound great. Still haven't bought powered monitors yet.

How loud do you want them.
Do you want something that pushes the air. thumps you in the chest.
or something to work with at low to moderately low volume.
I like my HS8''s... but not beyond 1/3 volume...

Nothing to add to monitor recommendations already made here.

Headphones: the 250 ohm beyerdynamic DT880 Pro suggestion is a solid choice. These were my primary headphone for several years. Cliff was using the same headphone. If you can part with $400 the beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro is the spiritual successor to the DT880 Pro, and a significant step up in fidelity and dynamics. I ordered a DT 1990 Pro not long after they were released and my DT880 Pro was sold shortly following the DT 1990 Pro's arrival.

I listened to the Adam A7X's, the Yamaha HS8's, and the Adam T7V's tonight at a local GC, using music as a source, not guitar. I'm no expert, and my ears have some hard miles on them, so take it for what it's worth, but as I was switching between them, I felt like I heard details in the music with the A7X's that I couldn't hear with the others. There just seemed to be more clarity, and I want to dial in tones as transparently as I can afford, so I ordered a pair.

I’ve owned my axe for less than a month and I use Focal Twins in my studio. Being an old school kind of guy it has been an adjustment only hearing my guitar sounds through monitors. But with that said one thing I have noticed is that however I’m hearing it in the room on the Twins is how it also sounds in my vehicle and other sources when I have recorded with those tones.
I also use the Sennheiser 650 Open back phones when I play with headphones and they are amazing with the axe.

I use AKG 271 headphones to dial in the detail and then try it out on as many monitoring systems as i have. In the studio i use a pair of Mackie HR 824's and then play it through my home stereo that has is a Nikko Beta 30 Preamp and Alpha 440 power amp with home speakers. If it sounds good in all three, i'm in the ballpark and then try it out at practice.

Back
Top Bottom