Would like some recommendations for powered studio monitors and headphones to use with the III

KenH

Inspired
With the current Fractal sale, I finally upgraded from an original II to the III. I am not currently gigging so I mostly play in my home office which is maybe 15'x15'. I am not needing anything as powerful as the QSC monitors I used when I was gigging. Mostly just playing along with music or recording on computer with DAW. I am just looking for what other people are using for studio monitors and happy with in a similar scenario as mine. Not sure I could justify spending $1500+ for the Adam A7X so realistically I probably am looking for something about half that price? Suggestions to check out that people are happy with is appreciated. Also, looking for what headphones people are using- also in a reasonable price range. Thanks.

I recently moved from G2 KRK 5's to Yamaha HS-8's and I'm very happy with the Yamahas. They're a lot bigger size-wise but the extra bass is noticable. Games on the PC and Xbox sound great through them as well.

I use the Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 ohm Semi-open Reference Studio Headphones, when I don't want to disturb the rest of the house. I also have 2 Atomic CLR Neos when I want to crank it. The headphones are not exactly the same, but I have gotten used to the differences.

When I want the “amp In the room” feel, I use IEM’s (KZ AS10). For monitoring I use DT 990’s or DT 770’s, 250 ohm and 80 ohm respectively. For studio monitors I have a set of Presonus Eris monitors, they’ve served me well thus far (even though I do want to upgrade to Adam’s at some point).

I got the Shire SRH 1540s recently and they are very nice. So far tones created on them have translated well to my pa speakers, my IEMs and the big PA I play through at church. I’m very happy with them!
My Sony MDR 7506s did not translate to other systems very well so the Shures are a big improvement. Spendy though!

With the current Fractal sale, I finally upgraded from an original II to the III. I am not currently gigging so I mostly play in my home office which is maybe 15'x15'. I am not needing anything as powerful as the QSC monitors I used when I was gigging. Mostly just playing along with music or recording on computer with DAW. I am just looking for what other people are using for studio monitors and happy with in a similar scenario as mine. Not sure I could justify spending $1500+ for the Adam A7X so realistically I probably am looking for something about half that price? Suggestions to check out that people are happy with is appreciated. Also, looking for what headphones people are using- also in a reasonable price range. Thanks.

plan on some acoustic treatment, in particular bass traps to tame the room modes: a quadratic shape is catastrophic as you will have the same resonance frequencies in two directions, effectively adding up...

other than that before I had my Adam A7X I was very happy with JBL LSR 305, as far as headphones I like the Blue MoFi and the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro

HS8's here, as well. Great value.

I'm longing for the Adam A7s and Genelecs, but have not been displeased, at all, with the Yamaha HS8's.

I use Presonus ES5 and Tambour T10 subwoofer (only for bass). I recommend these and chose them over KRK and Yamaha. You could go ES8 but I sit about a meter from them and find smaller monitors better at the desk. I still have my Analog rig wet dry wet Fender GB hotrod left, Laney IRT studio dry, Marshall Origin20 right. 15 pedal Rockboard into Soundcraft 12MTK so can record 12 tracks. All mic'd up. Tend to listen to the sound from this then remodel it in the Axe FX III for recording. Speakers very personal as are headphones and depending on your hearing tastes and frequency your ears are up to the better. Presonus speakers you can have flat or colour as they have a switch to do so, whereas some like Yamaha are only flat as are the Adams.

Another vote for the Yamaha HS- 8s. I also picked up the matching sub. Look online for deals. They are excellent and you will have to spend a lot more to hear any improvement.
I use Sennheiser HD 600 headphones. No complaints.

Sorry to hijack this thread guys. Thought I could ask here instead of starting another thread. Im currently using a pair of JBL LSR305. Im contemplating if I should go with an Adam T5V/T7V or Kali Audio LP6. Would anyone of you guys have experience with these models?

Sorry to hijack this thread guys. Thought I could ask here instead of starting another thread. Im currently using a pair of JBL LSR305. Im contemplating if I should go with an Adam T5V/T7V or Kali Audio LP6. Would anyone of you guys have experience with these models?
I have the T7V, they sound great to me :)

What do people think about the Neuman KH120?

I have the Neumann KH120A and they are fantastic on high gain but also clean sounds, I use it in a round about 16qm room with stands. for me the bass is more than OK, but its no problem to use maybe a presonos sub together with them. I use the output one which i connect them with -10db and its loud enough you can use it if you leveld the presets round about at 70% volume in the output without clipping leds on the speaker...

hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom