Would a nearby lightning strike possibly fry my Axe-Fx 3’s USB socket?

Yes but I mentioned, you need a really expensive APC to handle thunderstorm spikes -- when working in a startup 15+ years ago the neighborhood office was occupied by a company specializing in power handling systems for Silicon Valley companies and they explained to me that a cheap power isolator won't cut it. They said either get a cheap one that does the most common cases or a huge battery-based solution to handle lightning.

Pulling the plug for the whole studio setup is my choice when I hear lightning or taking off for a trip.
I think the Furman I have p 1800 AR is about 1200 bucks.

My question though is: Can 'Brown outs' (the opposite to surges) cause electrical damage to gear?

I'd guess that would be pretty unlikely. I could see it if it were actually 'on' and being used maybe. Especially if it's a program or computer driven piece of gear and in the middle of doing something at the time of the power dropping out.

However, I have seen it when the power kicks back on after, there is a pretty big surge and can for sure damage any electrical equipment that is plugged in.

Update: arrival today, not tomorrow:
20191114_091827.jpg

Now having a power conditioner is a good thing to have in a studio, let's say for squirrels who chew up incoming electrical wires and cause all kinds of sudden drops and spikes. But for lightning strikes, removing the outlet from the studio equipment is the best way. Now if everything is routed through a Furman it's a simple operation to do.

Now having a power conditioner is a good thing to have in a studio, let's say for squirrels who chew up incoming electrical wires and cause all kinds of sudden drops and spikes. But for lightning strikes, removing the outlet from the studio equipment is the best way. Now if everything is routed through a Furman it's a simple operation to do.
I got two TrippLite 3840 Joule suppressor strips. One for each side of the room. Got a sinewave UPS for the iMac, which is plugged into the one TrippLite. Hopefully relatively safe now....

Oh man, the anticipation must be killing you. It's really proving the whole "good things come to those who wait" thing, huh?

Oh man, the anticipation must be killing you. It's really proving the whole "good things come to those who wait" thing, huh?
The best part? I have to take my son to the vet this afternoon. Anyone want to guess the odds of the truck arriving then? LOL!

Reactions: jon
Glad you’re alive. I worked Medina after Lee Trevino got hit. Scarred trees all over that course. No freeking joke. Then lived in CO SPGS; 2nd most struck place in USA. That crap is no fun.

Back
Top Bottom