Would a Friedman BE-100 amp/full stack make a decent bedroom amp?

I can only echo what others have said here.

Practically there’s not a massive difference in sheer volume between a 50w and 100w, yes they sound different but a 50w will blow your ears just as much.

Back in the late 80s I would rehearse and gig with a full 50w Marshall stack (2 4x12), the volume in pubs (I’m UK based) was insane looking back on it. Two guitarists both at that level.

But fast forward to now and as others have said. Forget it. That just doesn’t happen, plus people have realised that being so loud you blow out your audiences ears isn’t ideal.

I would be amazed if you can play anywhere where you can get any 100w cooking.

The best home sound I’ve ever had is the FX3. I can go from whisper quiet to disturbing the neighbours - and if I ever play out I find the sounds directly translate.

I don’t want to be rude - but have you ever carried a 100w head and 2 4x12s? These things are monstrously heavy and fragile it’s just not worth the hassle.

You can for home use go for attenuators like the Palmer or the UA box. Both these sound good but you’ll not get the same sound not a better sound than the Axe.

There’s a real reason so many people have moved to modelling

I have 2 15" Yamaha pa cabs and 4 10" pa cabs in my music room that is 10' x 15' driven with a 2000 watt rack mount amp, doesn't mean it has to be turned up loud. How ever if I want to I can.

If a full stack is on your bucket list, go for it. it will look good with the Jackson.

I wouldn't die on that hill. These days, you can plug a single pedal or a laptop into a PA and play an entire show where no one in the audience will know any different. Plenty of bands are doing it now. The only people who care about seeing gear at shows are other guitarist and they make a small percentage of an audience. (Except in the first few years when the only people watching your band are the other bands playing that night)

Furthermore, silent stages are becoming more and more prominent these days. Try lugging a single 4x12 cabinet into any club on Broadway in Nashville only to find you can turn your amp on 1 and only if it's facing the windows behind you with 10 blankets over it. This is a huge reason why modelers are in use as much as they are. For about 15 years I gigged with a 100 watt head/2x12 and never had an issue unless I had to deal with another guitarist cranking up too loud. If the venue has a PA, they pop a mic on your cab and you're good to go, you don't need a TON of stage volume to be heard.

Once people start gigging again, go to some local venues and see how they're doing it. In general, you don't get to play huge stages, where two 4x12's would make sense, right out of the gate. Hell, I'm considering two 1x12's for my next live rig and at the most it'll be two 2x12's which is still overkill in most situations and it's only for my own enjoyment as I'll be running those in stereo while sending FOH a mono signal. (Unless the venue has a stereo PA) .

The reason people are giving you grief is because we've all been through this stuff before. A full stack isn't realistic for volume reasons on most stages you end up playing, never the less a bedroom. While you CAN get great tones relying on the master volume, even in the case of a 4x12, to get the speakers really moving and aiding in your tone, you gotta crank it up a bit. There's great tones to be had a lower volumes without moving the speakers, but those generally don't translate well once you crank the amp up.
yup, even though I always carried my CLR with my Fractal Rig....but we had standing gigs at Tin Roof which is loud and rowdy, The Stage as well.

Reason for full stack is dream of playing one day in a band. Bedroom for now. When a person plays standing next to a full stack they become better. Being a rock star has a lot to do with image. Full stack, exxaggerate body moves, clothes, stuff like that. Have to pull it all together to pull it off. Can't be a heavy metal rock star with micro cube
i say go for it! ive built my dream stage rig, and play entirely in my bedroom. if you can afford it and it makes you happy, do it.

Reason for full stack is dream of playing one day in a band. Bedroom for now. When a person plays standing next to a full stack they become better. Being a rock star has a lot to do with image. Full stack, exxaggerate body moves, clothes, stuff like that. Have to pull it all together to pull it off. Can't be a heavy metal rock star with micro cube
Playing in front of a full stack doesn't make you play better, it may feel better to play because you have all that sound smacking you in the back, But I can assure you if you suck on a combo you will suck on a full stack. I would never go full stack anyway. I would go half stack. A nice Mesa Straight 4X12 smacking me in the back of the legs, that's what I always gigged with. But alas nowadays clubs don't want it unless you are a bigger name act, then you can get away with it.

Clubs will not stop you from using a full stack, they will stop you from turning up. 112-812, they all hate volume 99% of the time.

Signed,

125dB on tour.

I have a mini half stack in my bedroom (office) that a Marshall jubilee 20/5 watt head with a 2x12 cab. 20 watts for the bedroom is louder than I ever need without starting an issue with my neighbors. But hey, as they say, if it's too loud you're too old......

I think you'll enjoy a smaller amp in your room. get the stack if you have some space. Forever ago when I took lessons as a kid I got to stay after and play through a 100W full stack, JCM800 if I remember right.. I couldn't believe how loud it was. I don't think we even got the dial past 7. Whatever you decide, enjoy.
Amp.jpg

Would a Friedman BE-100 amp with two Friedman 4 x 12 cabs make a decent bedroom amp? Thanks!
No, too big.
that's gotta be a joke, right?
It will fit.
Legitimate question
SOOOOOOOooooooo....I didn't even get beyond these posts and really don't need to go any further in the thread. Theres a REALLY good reason why SHEPPARD and simeon said what they said. The rig you quoted could EASILY cover a 500 person venue depending on the genre. BEDROOM??? ARE YOU KIDDING????

Yes it would work great but it sounds better if you point the cabs at the wall. I used to do this with a Diezel VH4 half stack which also has a killer master volume. The BE100 is great I've played through them and most Friedman amps at all levels. I would recommend a Suhr load box or similar to really get the feel but it will work great. A perspex screen would also wort to tame the speakers in your face effect. Go for it.

And to all the naysayers; It is about tone and the interaction you get from an awesome amp. No crappy little practice amp can do it the only other option a top end digital.

Back
Top Bottom