Worship Service in Florianopolis w/ Quantum

Isn't it pretty loud though? I assume there are a bunch of babies and very young children in the audience? It looks like a concert.

Make no mistake, modern churches are running things pretty loud. We let our L-Acoustics PA hover right around 100dB-C, which isn't as loud as a rock concert, but still loud enough to feel like one. Most churches have separate buildings and programs for the kids, so that's not generally a concern. But yeah, loud music, tons of moving lights in haze, tattooed guitarists who occasionally have attitude issues - that describes the look and feel of modern American church. There's usually a bit of substance underneath. ;-)

I'm sort of interested in this. Looks like many Churches are going about it the right way in terms of bringing a younger set in...

I know it's off topic, but what does a typical setlist look like? (Yes, I could google it, but rather hear from the folks here playing every week.)

I know it's off topic, but what does a typical setlist look like? (Yes, I could google it, but rather hear from the folks here playing every week.)

That's all over the map, but you've got several major songwriters contributing to the setlists. Most church bands are essentially cover bands, attempting to precisely do songs by these artists / churches. Clicks and IEMs are extremely common, as is throwing in backing tracks for instruments that are missing from the line-up. Those are side effects of relying on mainly volunteer musicians.

In any case, songs by:

- Hillsong United, Hillsong Young and Free, Hillsong Worship, etc (all the Australian folks)
- Chris Tomlin, Matt Redman, Charlie Hall, David Crowder, Kristian Stanfill, and the other Passion Conference folks
- Bethel / Jesus Culture
- several other Christian artists and mega churches

So for example, a couple weeks ago we did:

- Oceans (Hillsong United)
- Relentless (Hillsong United)
- Break Every Chain (originally by Will Reagan but we did The Digital Age version)
- Cornerstone (Hillsong Live)

One interesting thing has been being able to watch the worship gear tastes evolve and develop into a very particular boutique diet these days. 10 years ago, everyone was using PODs or a string of Boss/Ibanez pedals (I'm talking across hundreds of churches I know of, not one in particular). These days, you'll see Morgans, Dr Z, vintage Fenders, and giant pedalboards (with 10 boutique drive stages) that put the Edge's rig to shame. Keys are the same story - any workstation used to cut it, but now everyone has to have a Nord Stage 2 and a sidecar with a full Mainstage/Omnisphere setup. So not terribly different from the professional gigging scene.

Last edited:
we do tons of Bethel, Jesus Culture and Hillsong with some All Sons and Daughters and Housefires thrown in. Every now and then we'll do some gospel, but our church doesn't really know what to do with it, lol. We never do any of the ccm type Tomlin worship stuff. Very much in the spontaneous/flow/spirit led style.

We run ours around 100db C weighted (I think). Loud enough to sound powerful, but not to hurt the ears. I would estimate that some of the best sound systems are in churches these days. We just got a speaker refresh in our worship space and the sound is fantastic!. Frankly, it's amazing what the new systems can do.

Very much in the spontaneous/flow/spirit led style.

Same with us. We'll practice 5 songs and only end up getting through two of them. Personal expression is important. We do some of the songs already mentioned along with a few originals.

Terry.

That's all over the map, but you've got several major songwriters contributing to the setlists. Most church bands are essentially cover bands, attempting to precisely do songs by these artists / churches. Clicks and IEMs are extremely common, as is throwing in backing tracks for instruments that are missing from the line-up. Those are side effects of relying on mainly volunteer musicians.

In any case, songs by:

- Hillsong United, Hillsong Young and Free, Hillsong Worship, etc (all the Australian folks)
- Chris Tomlin, Matt Redman, Charlie Hall, David Crowder, Kristian Stanfill, and the other Passion Conference folks
- Bethel / Jesus Culture
- several other Christian artists and mega churches

So for example, a couple weeks ago we did:

- Oceans (Hillsong United)
- Relentless (Hillsong United)
- Break Every Chain (originally by Will Reagan but we did The Digital Age version)
- Cornerstone (Hillsong Live)

One interesting thing has been being able to watch the worship gear tastes evolve and develop into a very particular boutique diet these days. 10 years ago, everyone was using PODs or a string of Boss/Ibanez pedals (I'm talking across hundreds of churches I know of, not one in particular). These days, you'll see Morgans, Dr Z, vintage Fenders, and giant pedalboards (with 10 boutique drive stages) that put the Edge's rig to shame. Keys are the same story - any workstation used to cut it, but now everyone has to have a Nord Stage 2 and a sidecar with a full Mainstage/Omnisphere setup. So not terribly different from the professional gigging scene.

Very close to our upcoming set this weekend. We pretty much pull from the same catalog - Hillsong, M.W. Smith, Tomlin, etc.

Frankly, for me it's getting old. Then again, so am I.
The drummer I play with has been talking about a Christian band called Autumn Burns Red. Not my kind of music but very different to the Vox dotted 8 stuff!

The drummer I play with has been talking about a Christian band called Autumn Burns Red. Not my kind of music but very different to the Vox dotted 8 stuff!

I checked them out, thanks, and was diggin them until the cookie monster started barking. Too bad; their music is cool, but I just can't hang with that type of vocal.

hahaha, August Burns red has been around forever, def not a worship band....very popular post-hardcore/metalcore band.

Maybe just not where you worship.

Well, that would give new meaning the term, "Worship Experience!" Personally I wouldn't mind going half way musically, where the music was heavy and loud when appropriate, soft and simple when appropriate, and the words were God focused and infused with truth and passion.

Back
Top Bottom