With studio monitors, Neural DSP and Fractal modelers will sound the same?

Well, many people on this forum, have Axe Fx with only studio monitors, they could've gone with plugins and save lots of money.

Its inconvenient as it depends on the computer.
Plugins have a good chunk higher latency than playing with a hardware modeler. It has a noticeable impact on feel, even if it's not exactly a dealbreaker these days.

There's a lot of good plugins out there. Line6 Helix Native is great but pricy unless bought together with Helix hardware. NeuralDSP plugins are good if you are after fairly specific things. ML Sound Lab offers good plugins too, IMO their MIKKO cab sim plugin is the yardstick for "movable mics on a virtual speaker" cab sims.

There's no real right or wrong here.

The Neural DSP Granophyre plug-in is awesome. The FM9 shits on it, they're both used on the same monitors and sound completely different.

Whatever cretin made this initial statement about them sounding the same because they would be used through monitors doesn't have a clue what they're talking about.

Plugins can sound great….

Personally I like walking into my studio and seeing tons of hardware I can touch and it inspires me to play.

Just having a lonely laptop sitting in an otherwise empty room with $5000 worth of plugins doesn’t do much for me.

To each his or her own though…..

plugins have been improving rapidly but: latency is a factor, getting the right input levels is a factor, and I still find the tones to often feel stiff/harsh even on the good plugins I have (NDSP Soldano, Amplitube). Generally, when someone tells me the 60$ thingy is just as good as the reputable 2k$ thingy, my BS detector meter redlines.

Plugins can sound great….

Personally I like walking into my studio and seeing tons of hardware I can touch and it inspires me to play.

Just having a lonely laptop sitting in an otherwise empty room with $5000 worth of plugins doesn’t do much for me.

To each his or her own though…..
I have tons of rack gear and half a dozen amps. Where they used to inspire, they now mostly collect dust. Not because - yes - I have plugins, but because my FX II is a rack-sized plugin that replaces almost everything. And it doesn't inspire until I turn it on and surf presets, kinda like what happens when I turn on my computer and surf plugins. But ya, to each their own...

Not really, considering the plugins are around 100 bucks a piece to 150 or so and only give you a couple of amps. After you add in the value of an AxeFX as an interface and running your amp models off the DSP, I’d say they’re at least neck in neck for value if not Fractal taking the value added lead.

Plus with plugins constantly coming out, there's always the urge to keep spending money to get the latest amp, archetype, or whatever. Id rather own the unit and enjoy the constant free updates than always having to purchase the next new shiny thing. Part of the reason I bought the axe was to settle down the GAS of always chasing new pedals, etc and having it all already. To me plugins feel too easy to keep buying for no reason. Too close to the subscription model of always keeping the customer spending, for my tastes.

You guys should look up Fowleri threads from across the internet before you talk him into a Fractal unit. You might change your minds and start telling him the NDSP stuff will absolutely sound better. Fair warning.
I googled the word 'fowleri' and it's a brain-eating amoeba. Hmm? Anyway, he has 51 messages on a fractal forum without having a fractal. Just sayin.'

I knew a deaf piano player. I knew someone who worked with a deaf recording engineer. They both had opinions regarding recorded sound. The weight of those opinions however should be seriously debated much like people who don't perceive differences between blatantly different things.

Back
Top Bottom