With Matrix Out of Stock What SS Power Amp is Best?

I have updated the title of this thread as it is not accurate according to the matrix web site which clearly states:

"We're continuing to monitor the situation and obviously at the moment we are in a state of "hibernation" until the situation improves."

Meanwhile, I have a Duncan 700 which is excellent. I'd definitely check that out.

Last edited:
I have never owned a Matrix amplifier, but my understanding is that they are class AB audio amplifiers with switchmode power supplies. Class AB amplifiers have better audio fidelity compared with class D amp topologies which are somewhat compromised in their high frequency fidelity if not properly filtered. The switchmode power supply saves a ton of weight and improves efficiency (avoiding unnecessary heat dissipation) compared to a linear power supply.

If you're not married to the 1 U format and are willing to compromise a bit on the weight, the QSC PLX series of amplifiers offers a similar setup. They are either class AB or class H audio amplifiers (depending on the model) with switchmode power supplies. I have the PLX3102 and it only weighs 21 pounds. That's not as light as the Seymour Duncan class D amps (which are under 7 pounds), but the specifications on the amplifier are really good. The damping factor is greater than 500 and it puts out 550 watts (0.05% THD) per channel into 8 Ohms. The PLX1804 model has the same output power and weighs 13 pounds.

Last edited:
I have never owned a Matrix amplifier, but my understanding is that they are class AB audio amplifiers with switchmode power supplies. Class AB amplifiers have better audio fidelity compared with class D amp topologies which are somewhat compromised in their high frequency fidelity if not properly filtered. The switchmode power supply saves a ton of weight and improves efficiency (avoiding unnecessary heat dissipation) compared to a linear power supply.

If you're not married to the 1 U format and are willing to compromise a bit on the weight, the QSC PLX series of amplifiers offers a similar setup. They are either class AB or class H audio amplifiers (depending on the model) with switchmode power supplies. I have the PLX3102 and it only weighs 21 pounds. That's not as light as the Seymour Duncan class D amps (which are under 7 pounds), but the specifications on the amplifier are really good. The damping factor is greater than 500 and it puts out 550 watts (0.05% THD) per channel into 8 Ohms. The PLX1804 model has the same output power and weighs 13 pounds PLX1804.
QSC PLX-series seems to be discontinued by QSC :/
https://www.qsc.com/solutions-products/discontinued-products/amplifiers/

Back
Top Bottom